Clutch or Gearbox (1 Viewer)

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Yesterday morning, as the sun was shining, I decided it was a lovely day to take my motorhome for a drive. Shepton Mallet was the destination.
I started the engine, packed the van with laptop, dongle, sat nav etc. Moved forward in the drive, then tried to manoevre out of the drive into the Road, which is full of parked vehicles as always. Waited for my hubby to come out to help me manoevre out and suddenly, I could not put vehichle in gear. Turned the engine off and put in gear and vehicle moved, but when I tried to find reverse to get a better angle out, again, couldn't find a gear.
I thought there was something seriously wrong with it. I thought about going to walke up wildman, because after all it was 8.30 in the morning and Roger doesn't surface till about 10.30. So I popped into local garage and asked mechanic what could be the problem, he said that becuase of all the wet weather we have had, the clutch cylinders could have kinda rusted together. He suggested putting it in gear with the engine off and then start the engine with foot on the clutch. So I went home and tried, and fortunatley it worked and I was able to go to Shepton Mallet after all. How often do I need to drive motorhome, to stop getting any similar problems in the future. Oh and by the way Loads of motorhomes at Shepton Mallet, so I decided to look for some Funsters, and I didn't see any.
Where are you all

Happy Days from Ilfracombe

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Glad you got it sorted.Had the same thing with my previous motorhome.

Surface rust forms which sticks the clutch Friction and driven plate together.

Luckily mine freed by sticking the motor in gear and turning over on the starter motor with the clutch pedal depressed.:thumb:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Best to take em for a run whenever you can.

Oh yes and if possible dont park them for long periods with the handbrake left on as this can also stick on leaving you well and truly stuck!! :Sad:

Running them around frees everything up and removes the surface rusts on brakes clutch etc. It also moves all the oil seals and joints.

Keep em moving people or they will stop for good!! :cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Best to take em for a run whenever you can.
Oh yes and if possible dont park them for long periods with the handbrake left on as this can also stick on leaving you well and truly stuck!! :Sad:
Running them around frees everything up and removes the surface rusts on brakes clutch etc. It also moves all the oil seals and joints.
Keep em moving people or they will stop for good!! :cry:

Excellent advice.

Peter

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
asleep or not if your're stuck knock, thats what friends are for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Glad it is ok now

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back