Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
North west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
40yrs
Left the uk last Sat. all so relaxed, that was untill 1030hr this morning. Was staying on an aire in Campginey and pulled up to dump emptying point and had problem getting reverse gear. Cut long story short I am waiting to have a new clutch fitted to 2.4 ltr Ford Durotorque Transit. Quoted 1125.00 Euro. Do you think this is reasonable?Breakfast £30.00 for the both of us deafinetley not reasonable on top of 105 euro per night for the room but stuck here till Friday ooh la la.

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
Left the uk last Sat. all so relaxed, that was untill 1030hr this morning. Was staying on an aire in Campginey and pulled up to dump emptying point and had problem getting reverse gear. Cut long story short I am waiting to have a new clutch fitted to 2.4 ltr Ford Durotorque Transit. Quoted 1125.00 Euro. Do you think this is reasonable?Breakfast £30.00 for the both of us deafinetley not reasonable on top of 105 euro per night for the room but stuck here till Friday ooh la la.

I was quoted £380.00 for a full clutch on a 20l petrol fiat, i suppose if it includes recovery etc its going to be higher. I hope you get it sorted and carry on with your holiday.

John

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Garfield, The question I would be asking, is why has the clutch gone on a newish Tranny.
I ran older model Trannys for 30 years and I would expect around 100000 miles from a clutch.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
We had our clutch done on our old Frankia a year last November near Pau. Cost was 550 euros not including recovery paid by insurance.
Lucille

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
have you thought about contacting your insurance company or your rac/aa or other recovery company - they will have people locally who may be able to assist and advise whether or not the price is reasonable

Heres hoping it all works out okay for you xxxx

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The 2.4 has a Dual Mass Clutch but even so that is expensive :Eeek:£700 average UK price
We usually fit a 4 piece conversion to them its a shame you didnt know about those,that includes a new solid flywheel and H/Duty cluch kit, around £600 inc fitting and that means the next clutch job will be with anormal cluch at the standard price of about £350-£400:Doh:

Last edited:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Hey Garfield how many miles have you done ? I`ve got one of those and now i`m worried. Hope you soon get sorted Cheers mate

OP
OP
garfield

garfield

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
North west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
40yrs
Done 39900 Mile. This is the first clutch I have had go since an old Ford Anglia van I had in the sixties and that started by slipping going up hill. This time the pedal just got lower and lower untill there was no travel in the pedal. I was recovered by Saga assist to a Citroen dealer, but they said thats OK they repair all types.
I must admit I am not to happy with the cost but had I come home I would still face a bill of £400 to £600 and then I would be in the North of England.
The worst thing is being in a hotel with nothing to do and £7 for 2 cups of tea. Thanks to you all .

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Sad: Same here LAST January in Clermont Ferrand. 5 days, but only one in a Hotel. Rear Offside Wheel bearing packed in. 784 Euros + 78 Euros for one night Hotel. :Blush:

rickscott

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Ellon, Aberdeenland
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
2, previous 12 caravanning
The way you describe it, sounds like the slave cylinder has failed. this still requires the gearbox off if it's a concentric cylinder. If it's a conventional one, it should be a 45 minute job start to finish. Check to see what exactly has failed.

Hope you get sorted, and it dosen't put too much of a dampener on things.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

From the prices quoted in this thread for repairs in France, how can people say its Rip-off-Brittian, I supose these don't count.

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol

i wouled change the master cylinder first as these tend to go on that model :thumb:

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
The way you describe it, sounds like the slave cylinder has failed. this still requires the gearbox off if it's a concentric cylinder. If it's a conventional one, it should be a 45 minute job start to finish. Check to see what exactly has failed.

Hope you get sorted, and it dosen't put too much of a dampener on things.

thats what has happend i think too as have changed a few of these and its an easy fix :thumb:

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
My clutch went on my Peugeot in Rouen France last september 6 days we were waiting do not expect them to rush as they want to justify the big bill mine being 1100 euro. Visit the garage each day and perhaps like me in the end you find your van parked up work finished but them telling you it will be another day. Hope all goes ok though.:thumb:

OP
OP
garfield

garfield

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
North west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
40yrs
My clutch went on my Peugeot in Rouen France last september 6 days we were waiting do not expect them to rush as they want to justify the big bill mine being 1100 euro. Visit the garage each day and perhaps like me in the end you find your van parked up work finished but them telling you it will be another day. Hope all goes ok though.:thumb:
I think you might be right, problem is we are in a hotel 30Km south from the garage, and are being moved tomorrow to a hotel 30Km north.
Just all part of of the mystrey of life.

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs

Look on the bright side Geoff You've got the lovely Jac for company!!!!!!!! Mind if she doesn't get UK TV updates before long---just watch out! Hope it all goes well.:thumb:

OP
OP
garfield

garfield

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
North west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
40yrs
Allready taking flack BBC Iplayer has found out we are not in the UK and has closed down. So the lovely Jac has turned in to Tasmainian Devil, just as well I know how to tune her, but I will be carefull all the same!!!:Eeek:

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
To be quite honest we found it very frustrating and when we got the van back we headed home even though we were one week into a months holiday. Our only saving was the area was going through a heat wave at the time. Taking a side the jokes hear I really feel for you as without your van you feel lost as we did.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
garfield

garfield

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
North west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
40yrs
To be quite honest we found it very frustrating and when we got the van back we headed home even though we were one week into a months holiday. Our only saving was the area was going through a heat wave at the time. Taking a side the jokes hear I really feel for you as without your van you feel lost as we did.::bigsmile:
y
I feel as if I am some sort of refugee. We spent the day in a hypomarket bought a travel kettler so we can make a cuppa as and when. Only 3 days to go, if all goes to plan.(fingers X) Will carry on with the holiday even though the weather in Spain is not that great but it can change tomorrow.

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Sounds very much like the clutch is not disengaging, we had that a few times on trucks in Europe I was lucky that myself and drivers managed to get back to UK by driving without having to use the clutch!!!

They simply built up the air on the truck (and trailer) stopped the engine put the truck in crawler or first gear and then pressed the starter the truck would move and start and then they would change gear the old fashioned way similar to what they used to call double declutching, ease back on the throttle slip the gear lever into neutral then either let the engine slow down to change up or rev the engine slightly to change down.

These trucks were Scanias with synchromesh gearboxes and fully loaded up to 38 tons gross and managed to get back from Italy over the Alps and up to the ferry at Le Havre with no damage to the gearboxes, on at least half a dozen separate occasions!!!

Although I did have one driver who lost his clutch on an auto-route and had to be recovered at a cost of 800 francs (It was a long time ago and pre mobile phones:Smile:).When I explained what he should have done he said that he did not think of that:Doh::Doh:! No wonder he never made it as an owner driver!!

Regards Pat

Last edited:
OP
OP
garfield

garfield

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
North west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
40yrs
Sounds very much like the clutch is not disengaging, we had that a few times on trucks in Europe I was lucky that myself and drivers managed to get back to UK by driving without having to use the clutch!!!

They simply built up the air on the truck (and trailer) stopped the engine put the truck in crawler or first gear and then pressed the starter the truck would move and start and then they would change gear the old fashioned way similar to what they used to call double declutching, ease back on the throttle slip the gear lever into neutral then either let the engine slow down to change up or rev the engine slightly to change down.

These trucks were Scanias with synchromesh gearboxes and fully loaded up to 38 tons gross and managed to get back from Italy over the Alps and up to the ferry at Le Havre with no damage to the gearboxes, on at least half a dozen separate occasions!!!

Although I did have one driver who lost his clutch on an auto-route and had to be recovered at a cost of 800 francs (It was a long time ago and pre mobile phones:Smile:).When I explained what he should have done he said that he did not think of that:Doh::Doh:! No wonder he never made it as an owner driver!!

Regards Pat
I agree with all you say I learn't to drive in 1939 Morgan with crash gearbox but I am 4days in on 6 week trip to Spain so I had best get it fixed, recovery tried to put me on the back of flat bed but overhang so long it draged the rear on the deck. No damage only due to tow bracket so I followed him to the garage

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
In 2008 we had the clutch slave cylinder go on a Renault Master SWB home conversion just North of Toulouse. It was on a Saturday so we decided to try to get further North before calling out the breakdown again. In the end I drove home 900+ with no clutch, got home by Monday morning, wondered why they bothered fitting a clutch :RollEyes: I could even pull away on the flat by pushing the gear lever to where 1st should be & the friction would get the van moving a bit then I could just drop it into gear. Hill starts in some of the small villages were a bit tricky though :Eeek:. Wouldn't like to attempt it in a larger motorhome though.

I got the job done back in the UK but it still cost just over £500 :Eeek::Eeek: the clutch plate itself was ok but got it replaced as most of the charge was for the labour of stripping it down.

dragabed

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/tech-mech-general/19549-clutch-gone-france-4.html#post2

our fiat ducato went in poitiers coming back from la rochelle garage quoted 1200eu so drove all the way back without clutch 400pound uk no damage to gearbox just put it in second took the handbrake off and run on the starter to get going then changed up or down by dropping the revs into nuetral and watever gear was required got back to liverpool ok

pete the pub

Free Member
Sep 8, 2009
shropshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
My clutch went in Spain after 5000miles on a new Peugeot 3ltr the RAC were great put us up in hotel arranged a hire car no problems at all first class service. The trouble started when the garage charged me almost 600 euros for the clutch as they said it was wear and tear? rubbish I am still fighting to get my money back Peugeot Coudnt give a Sh 1 t. sorry about the spelling. Hope you get yours sorted out.
Peter

raymondo782

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
Lydney, Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
2 years
I broke down on the French motorway system in September
140 euros cost of recovery on low loader breakdown truck 40 minutes to garage, which I thought was reasonable.
As it was Friday evening the garage was not able to do the work until after 'le weekend' ie Tuesday. Stayed in a nice field at the back of the garage no charge including electric.
No rip off here!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back