Free Member
Jun 25, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Hi all,

This is my first ever post, so here goes.

Just bought my first motorhome (have to wait 2-3 weeks for it) and I do not have a clue about anything, although I am trying to read up as much as possible, so apologies if I ask really dumb questions.

My one question is, can anyone suggest a good campsite for the first timer, within about 100 mile radius of South Wales, one that is easy to get to and plenty of room to manoeuvre once on site. I'm a confident car driver but a 24 foot home on wheels seems a bit daunting.

Also, any hot tips would be appreciated.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi and welcome to fun. A campsite within 100 miles. You could always check out some chap called the ringleader on here ( Jim). He has a campsite near to you. Can't speak for his knowledge though :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Hi and welcome to Fun

Most sites allow some room for manovre but if you are worried about the length i would go to a local industrial estate on a Saturday evening and practice some reversing round corners from both directions and pulling out from junctions, make sure your mirrors are set up right so that you can see properly. If when travelling and turning left at a junction give some space to your nearside so that your rear wheels dont mount the kerb as you turn

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome to motorhome fun, ask away whatever you like and if anyone has the answer I am sure they will let you know, don't forget the wine opener, and enjoy your motorhome.

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
We seem to get a lot of RV first time out people don't know why, one big one even had to do some brake maintenance before leaving and another biggie left a big oil patch on the hard standing. Lots of first time out people say they prefer a small site so not many people watch them making cock-ups ! :roflmto:

May 8, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam T-Line785
Exp
since 2009
welcome to the fun:welcomefunster:

We live in Swansea. Gowerton Caravan Club site is great. We go there quite often. Motorhoming in Wales is a delight ::bigsmile:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi make yourself a checklist of what to take etc,also one on what to do on arrival at site i.e. fill with water (no point in carrying to much wieght) just enough for a cuppa on journey,dont forget to get level before sorting anything out in van on arrival ( leave wedges handy or blocks) another list for what to switch off, ensure everything stowed away before moving off any time . After a couple of trips you wont need checklists it becomes second nature.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Agree with Salopian, when you pick it up from the dealer he should give you a thorough walk/work through, hopefully you will be taking someone with you also remember a pen and pad and write some of the more difficult instructions down for reference - if the person showing you how it works is going too fast tell him and slow him down. Most people do stay local to the dealer for the first night in case any problems come to light. Check before you go that it will be supplied with a bottle of gas and a battery and a elec hookup lead - you might have to negotiate for these if they dont come with it, and if you do decide to stay a night local to the dealer you will need basically pillows and sleeping bags or duvet and and sheet, cups a couple of plates and pans and cutlery if you feel like cooking, kettle (for on the gas cooker) coffee,tea, cork screw and bottle of wine to celebrate and beer if needed plus personal wash items and clothing

Pusser

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Bucks
Funster No
MH
A week away
Exp
On and off 1981
Welcome ... I am new here too. Making the first post is always difficult as you wonder if you've stuck it in the wrong bit or said the wrong thing. So far you have got 10 out of 10. My first post on another motorhome website actually went accidently on an Argos review. So lesson 1. Make sure you are on the correct website.

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to ask although you will be the first one that ever did.:Blush:

OP
OP
R

Rufus314

Free Member
Jun 25, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Dear all,

Thanks everyone for all the advice, it is a big help. So make a checklist and checkout the suggested web sites it is then. I like the idea of sneaking down to the local industrial site for a bit of sneaky reversing practice. I had completely forgot to ask about cables, so will need to check on that.

Thanks

Rufus314.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back