Clubs Membership (1 Viewer)

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Our first year with a motorhome coming to end and with that our Caravan Club Membership. Now need to deside if to renew it or to try the Caravan & Camping Club membership.
What are you experience members would suggest to do? We are planing to start traveling intensively in Europe from the second half of 2015.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The Caravan Club have more sites in places like Scotland than the C&CC but if you are going to Europe then it might be argued the only benefit of being in the CC is you can get reductions on some ferry crossings, their guide books and of course a magazine. We are in both but will probably ditch the C&CC as we haven't stayed in one of their sites for over a year, mainly because they don't have them where we want to stop.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we are members of both but as much as anything this is due to my laziness, both automatically renew on DD

CC are good as DBK says for more sites, some half decent out of season pricing has made them better value

C + CC we stay in as our RAC membership is discounted due to this membership and we were struggling to get full recovery cover for our 5T MH, anything over 3.5T seems to be excluded, the discount is more than the membership

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We are cc members I dithered about renewing but the discounts can be good and some of their sites
can be very nice they also do temporary sites for events and insurers always ask if we belong to a club it seems to help.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
we are members of both but as much as anything this is due to my laziness, both automatically renew on DD

Same for us. I don't quite know why. If we get to the end of this year without staying on any of their sites which is our plan I'm going to ditch them both.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We are in both purely because of were either club has a campsite.
Have to say that the C & C, club site fees have gone up quite a bit in the last 3 years.
The good thing about the Caravan Club is you know you are going to get an excellent standard of facilities.
As to how much it costs, well if you are paying £50k plus for a motorhome add the running cost etc. the cost of being in either club is insignificant.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We are in both and we rally regularly with both. We also have multi-trip Red Pennant with the CC .

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We too are members of both but haven't stayed in a C&CC site for 3 years, again because CC have sites where we want to go, as Rob n Chris said £80 a year is not a lot in the scale of things. :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Stayed a member of the C&CC as we go to the new forest a couple of times a year. Changed my membership to online only that's saves a fiver a year also this year qualify for the 50% discount.
Gave up with the CC we don't like their sites, ferry discounts usually only a couple quid these days.

The C&CC RAC Breakdown cover is very expensive, at the moment the new van is covered by Fiat, we were paying £58 per year for full European 365 breakdown cover by the RAC as an add on to our insurance.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
You need to at least try both and make your own mind up over time.
We were in both for a couple of years but dropped the C&CC but it is all about what you find you use in practice.

OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
We didn't use much the CC sites, don't find the magazin much good for motorhomers, the insurance and roadside recovery cost much higher then available from others like Comfort.
We heared about the C&CC Winter Ralies in Spain and some insurance benefites, so thinking about taking their membership.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We were members of the CC for many years.. not at present, but will re-join when we get another camper.. soon we hope.

In the distant past, pre internet days, we used the CC continental site and ferry booking service + Red Pennant insurance for our summer holidays.. all done by a phone call and snail mail.. times change , so no longer required.

Main reason for membership now is to have access to the excellent CL network, particularity the very basic sites which we particularly enjoy, charging less than a tenner per night.. but.. the trend is now toward sites with EHU , driven no doubt by the demand from caravaners and motorhomers, who's vans are now so power hungry.. consequently, pitch fees have risen steeply over the past decade.. long time since we had a CL at £2 per night.. many now verge on full blown site fees.

Fully understand why CL owners go this way.. no point in having an empty field.. and vans driving past your gate.. but it must take years to recoup the capital outlay of installing electrical points.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Used to be members of both but left CC some years back. Only stayed on one of their sites and it wasn't members only so cheaper to not be a member. Still in C&CC but only use new forest sites, and I think you get the same discount with a forest pass card, which I have every year to let me walk Meg in Friston forest. The club magazines are not very interesting and the discounts not great especially as we use the tunnel.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Can't use your Tesco vouchers for the tunnel either via the Clubs!

Have to say we hadn't booked our return crossing to come back from France and were thinking we'd have to visit McD for the internet when a neighbour on an aire happened to say he'd got a good price from the C&CC that day.

I'd not tried them for a ferry at all before, had tried the CC in the past and after twice when their price was dearer than on line, had never bothered again.

I rang 2 days later and got what we thought was a very good deal (cheaper than the other chap!) at an extremely sociable time of day - 11am or something - normally the cheaper prices going back will either be too early at sparrowfart or after dark meaning we don't get home until the early hours - doesn't bother us per se, but when you've been away several months I'd rather be able to see. Plus as Pete does all the driving it makes it a long day for him.

So I'll try them next time - unless we invest Tesco vouchers. Will have to have a stocktake of them and see if we have enough.

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
You can use your tesco clubcard points for the tunnel without going through either club, you can also convert them into Avios miles and use them to get discounts from the Ferry companies, got £400 off BF Portsmouth to Santander last December

katyjune

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
n/w lancs heysham
Funster No
MH
bolero 630pr
Exp
since2004
we are in both , the ccc as the w/end and holiday meets which give nearly all year round camping without paying £15.00 ++ a night on sites. the cc, have the better sites if you can afford the prices, we dont get our monies worth out of either club, for site use. maybe thats because we spend approx 5 months in europe, we do usethe ccc for tunnel and ferry discount.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back