bmb1uk

Free Member
Jan 1, 2010
LEICS
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
just wondering what clothes you take, on wild camping,suit tie,evening dress etc, or good old jeans/t shirt

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Usually jeans, couple of pairs of crags, 400 pairs of socks and pants (if my o/h estimate is to be beleived - running joke!) maybe one shirt, rest are t-shirts, few sweats etc.

O/H takes mainly smart casual, crags , jeans and tops and few zip up jumpers- never find her in a dress! lol! (another running joke!)

Other than that - the wooly hi-viz always comes along...just in case! Only ever needed it once, when we had a puncture. Nice and warm when roadside!:thumb:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Good old jeans and T shirt. Would try and take a slightly tidier outfit just in case, ie black trousers and nicer top, perhaps even a bit of slap for the wrinkles, although some things are beyond redemption.

Ivy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Usually go out for meal so take suit and or shirt and tie and cashmere boss overcoat also some tweed stuff to slob in

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
leather laderhosen, gimp suit, whip, bridle and bit...oh no, thats for my fetish weekends. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jeans + polo shirt multiplied by 4 or 5....dont do 'dressing up' unless its a funeral or wedding.

the clothes do not maketh the man. :thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Far too many I'd say LOL - and this is a WOMAN saying that!!!

I can't bear to be parted from a lot of it but always land up wearing the same 3 things for a fortnight (no not the underwear!!! - although on bike holidays I have been known to only take 3 prs skids and do handwashing, have a pic somehwere of a black Honda Blackbird on a campsite somewhere in France being used as a washing line! LOL) as I always try to keep something 'in case' because if I think what the hell and wear it anyway, as sure as God made little green apples I will drop pasta sauce down the front of it .....

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
A pair of smart casual trousers (maybe two for long holidays), a smart shirt suitable for the expected climate (or maybe two), socks and shoes, smart casual jacket for if it gets a bit nippy - all the above is my going out gear (restaurant, bar, visiting friends, etc.). Lowe Alpine, various layers to go under it, Buff, Trackster leggings (they're water repelant), jeans, waterproof over-leggings, Demon boots (they're a bit lighter), Berghaus boots (one or the other or both, depending on the climate), a selection of walking socks, a cagoul, woolly hat, thin gloves, silk tights (if it's cold).

Then the rest of it consists of shorts, leggings, lycra shorts, vests, T-shirts, polo shirts, fleece, shower jacket, trainers, trecking sandals, flip-flops, underwear, lounge pants, swimmies, a sarong or two (like Beckham but long before he did). Oh yes, a smile.

Mrs. JayDee takes similar sorts of stuff (female equivalent) but seemingly more of it and a bit more dress-up stuff. She always brings the wrong stuff though - as in 'I wish I'd brought ******* with us instead of this ########'. But that's the Mrs. I guess. At least she leaves me a bit of room in the wardrobe.

John

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Pappa john i have to disagree i like nice clothes and beleive that men do not make as much effort as women. If they spend an hour getting ready to look good for themselves and us then the least we can do is wear a shirt and tie. Nothing worse than a good looking woman on the arm of a scruff bloke. Not that i am saying you are just generalising

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Pappa john i have to disagree i like nice clothes and beleive that men do not make as much effort as women. If they spend an hour getting ready to look good for themselves and us then the least we can do is wear a shirt and tie. Nothing worse than a good looking woman on the arm of a scruff bloke. Not that i am saying you are just generalising

Couldn't agree more. Nice restaurant, beautiful woman simply but beatifully dressed, nice makeup, hair brushed out; a bit of a head turner. Bloke in flip-flops (or maybe it was dirty trainers but no socks) knee length baggy beach shorts, baggy T-shirt, unshaved, hair brushed Tuesday before last. It was probably not connected but half way through their meal it was obvious there was strife in the camp and she upped and walked out. I would have expected her to walk out on me if I'd taken her out dressed like that. It displays a completely selfish lack of respect for the partner in my book.

John

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Glad its not just me had a few scotches and thought i may have offended some folk but now your in the camp we can take the flak together. Lol

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

everyone to their own of course, but if i started wearing a shirt and tie to the pub she'd start asking some serious and awkward qeustions.:ROFLMAO:

i do draw the line at tatty, torn jeans and always make sure my clothes are clean and tidy....at the start of the evening at least. :winky:

never have felt relaxed in 'formal' clothing but i do own a couple of suits and a tux for those 'special' occasions but to wear a shirt and tie, day in and day out, is too much 'i want to be my 1940's dad' for me.

thank god for the 50's and 60's :thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
A man taking me out in his suit and tie? - sorry, I think the least a chap could do is to wear summat different to his flipping work clothes when he takes me out! :ROFLMAO:

I'm very much with Papa John here. I don't actually know anywhere round here where I'd say you would be in company with suit and tie?

I used to be quite snotty-nosed about stuff like that, I think travelling on the back of a motorbike cures you of that. If we wanted to go to Chateau Wherever to sample their gourmet menu whilst in the area on a bike then we would. If they refused us admittance for dress code, then that's their loss not ours partic. Take the wallet elsewhere! It's hard sometimes to keep your hair really tidy under a skid lid, esp if you've had it on the last 200 miles.

I wouldn't set out to a dinner dance in me Sidi boots, that's stupid, I'd obviously take a pair of leather-soled sandals I could dance properly in.

Likewise designer stubble doesn't annoy me now like it once used to.

I think the two caveats, "clean and tidy" and "good manners" say everything!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
just wondering what clothes you take, on wild camping,

best for wild camping is ex army gear .. :thumb:

don't know where the rest of the posters wild camp, must be in a shopping mall .. :RollEyes:

just can't see a need for a tux, suit, collar and tie in the wild..

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
About 20 years ago we went to Butlins for the weekend in our caravan and I forgot to pack any underwear for hubby. It was late - no shops open and we were going to the evening shows so he had to wear a pair of my frilly knickers - the kids thought it hilarious and he's never lived it down. Mind you I think he quite enjoyed it - a legitimate reason for wearing them!!

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
My o/h and I lark around all the time - we spend most of our life laughing.

She has a dare for me one day - that I should meet and greet customers with a shirt and tie on....and a pair of loud boardies! :ROFLMAO:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
About 20 years ago we went to Butlins for the weekend in our caravan and I forgot to pack any underwear for hubby. It was late - no shops open and we were going to the evening shows so he had to wear a pair of my frilly knickers - the kids thought it hilarious and he's never lived it down. Mind you I think he quite enjoyed it - a legitimate reason for wearing them!!
Hmmm......"had to".........are you really sure of that?!! :winky: ::bigsmile:

Feb 11, 2008
Southampton
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
bought first motorhome 30 yrs ago
Hi with all this talk of clothes I thought of something and hoped someone could help when traveling down to Spain mid December and back mid January I was freezing in the cab of our fiat coach built it was -7 going down and even colder on the way back the heater was working but did not seem man enough as the drought from the doors around the handles was really bad it was mainly my legs and feet and ended up with a fleece around my legs as it was the first time we have been away this distance in the winter can anyone tell me if this is normal and if so is there a solution to the problem ie.door insulation thank you Tiggs

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
hi there,we are not wild campers but i would have thought if the camping is going to be that wild then who needs clothes:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: regards brian jo & josh

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi with all this talk of clothes I thought of something and hoped someone could help when traveling down to Spain mid December and back mid January I was freezing in the cab of our fiat coach built it was -7 going down and even colder on the way back the heater was working but did not seem man enough as the drought from the doors around the handles was really bad it was mainly my legs and feet and ended up with a fleece around my legs as it was the first time we have been away this distance in the winter can anyone tell me if this is normal and if so is there a solution to the problem ie.door insulation thank you Tiggs

When we had a Boxer coachbuilt and a Transit coachbuilt (both 1997-ish) the gale through the door surround was awful. I managed to reduce it quite significantly by putting some door seal (for doors in the home) around the doors so that it made a better seal when the vehicle was moving. Needed to be quite thick but seemed to improve things.

John

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.

I had noticed a whistling noise around the passenger side door of our Fiat cab MH.
It wasn't the same on the drivers side. It was as though the door wasn't shut properly. We tried to slam it shut, but at speed , on motorways , we still had this whistle.
We didn't get the draft or cold ,as such , as we have Webasto heating which keeps the cab and the whole motorhome as warm as we want. But the passenger side was definitely cooler especially around the knees , compared to the drivers side, when driving at speed .
I noticed a circular hole at the back of the passenger seat , in the floor , where some cables went outside and you could see out ! So we stuffed insulation in that ! Ralph has also moved the door lock plate , right over. Thanks MHF for the advise on that , as that has stopped the whistling noise. These two tips worked for us , might be worth a try.
Bev

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
wardrobe

I know I`m dodgy ground here but my Chrissie will take, long dresses, short dresses, skirts, tops, belts, jeans, coats, shoes and boots.
Then there is handbags, lots of handbags, when I say shoes you have to understand this is a woman that came out to our boat in Greece to join me for just one week and she brought 14 pairs of shoes.:whatthe:
I don`t think I own that many, Chris has a wide and varied shoe collection, Amelda Marcus would have been proud !!

Mind you she is a sweetie and I love her to bits. make sure you mention this when telling her about what I wrote re her wardrobe requirements.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

go commando.... but no farting. :ROFLMAO:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
more space

Sounds like you need a large trailer for her 'wardrobe'. ::bigsmile:

When our daughter moved out I thought I was going to get a little of the hanging and storage space in her fitted wardrobes.

I didn`t, Chris was filling the new available space before Laura had driven out of the driveway. :Eeek:

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
I know I`m dodgy ground here but my Chrissie will take, long dresses, short dresses, skirts, tops, belts, jeans, coats, shoes and boots.
Then there is handbags, lots of handbags, when I say shoes you have to understand this is a woman that came out to our boat in Greece to join me for just one week and she brought 14 pairs of shoes.:whatthe:
I don`t think I own that many, Chris has a wide and varied shoe collection, Amelda Marcus would have been proud !!

Mind you she is a sweetie and I love her to bits. make sure you mention this when telling her about what I wrote re her wardrobe requirements.

Rob where do you get to keep your stuff then, there aren’t enough cupboards and wardrobes for Chris never mind you? Bet the bathroom is all full of girly stuff as well.

I have convinced Jan she only needs minimal of everything……….so far so good!
:ROFLMAO:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Well even if you do take a trailer, you always wish you had taken - whatever. So if you pare it down to the minimum you haven't got it, you know that and you don't agonise over whether to wear this or that - you just wear whatever is cleanest and most presentable. I hope I am never judged by the clothes I wear. Although also hopefully I shan't ever be mistaken for a bag-lady.

If you should happen to get invited to the equivalent of a Royal Garden Party whilst away, and this applies to any event you don't think you have the gear for - then there will be shops. We've visited quite a number of different countries worldwide and that one thing they do have in common. When you discover the outfit in the shop, if you find you really don't want to spend the money on it - then it obviously isn't necessary at all - so don't!

Spend it on another holiday instead.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Me 2 pair Jeans 2 pair shorts 3 pair cut offs a nice summer dress and cardi (incase we eat out) I have cut down on shoes drasticley since Ed laid out 22 pairs on a camping holiday in France, so now its a pair of crocs/ trainers/ walking boots/ 4 pair sandals oh and lots of strappy vest tops to wear on their own or under blouses and jumpers plus a couple of fleece tops water proof trousers and jackets and a good warm waterproof jacket that about gets it covered for most weather. (If there is room I'll then squeeze something else in)::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back