Closing of Ambleside Aire (Miller Field) (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I wrote when this first broke. On our visits to Ambleside,the worlds anorak capital, we have spent upwards of £200 per visit. We have bought outdoor clothing and enjoyed a meal and sometimes a film at the arts centre. Years ago we stayed out of town and drove in,in our VW van,for the premiere of the film Galahad of Everest starring Brian Blessed,then we spent nearly £50. Recently we stayed at Millers field for an overnight.
I think that if our average spend was extrapolated to the other motohomes in the aire,that represents a substantial loss to the local economy. A very short sighted approach probably started by envious site owners,nimbys or townies just moved in.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Thanks HymerB544
I have only used the Aire once, earlier on in the year, I think it was back in Jan/Feb as I'm still a Newbie, only had the M/H 11 months !!!! It was very convenient for us, as we met a friend of my wife there, who also have a MH. We used the Aire for an overnight stop on our way up to Scotland. Saying that, we only live about an hours drive from Ambleside anyway. However, it is very convenient for the Town, which is only a very short walk, and quite a pleasant town it is too. It will be just another kick in the teeth for us M/H ers. When we stayed at the Ambleside Aire, there were at least a dozen MH parked overnight. This was earlier on in the year, and there was quite a bit of snow on the hills, but Ambleside was quite busy, with a lot of Hikers and day visitors. It is always a popular place for people to visit, especially in the summertime. We have visited it many times by car.It gets very busy, but not as crowded as Windemere. Regards BillyS

What is it with our local governments? Can they not see the huge local benefits of an Aires? We are supposed to be a big part of the European Union but it seems to be only the UK that will not embrace the MH community.
Come on Britain wake up and smell the coffee :Eeek:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
What is it with our local governments? Can they not see the huge local benefits of an Aires? We are supposed to be a big part of the European Union but it seems to be only the UK that will not embrace the MH community.
Come on Britain wake up and smell the coffee :Eeek:

On the specific point (as pointed out earlier in this thread) the enforcement notice in this case is not being issued by "ordinary" local government but by a national park authority.

On the general point (as pointed out numerous times before) how is any authority to see huge local benefits unless it is presented with evidence that they actually exist? I suggest that anyone who is interested in increasing aire type provision for motorhomes has the answer in their own hands. They could look at what provision there is where they live (or where they visit) and identify where further facilities are needed. They could then approach the councils involved (perhaps through their ward councillors), to show them that there is a genuine demand, and work with councillors and officers to identify cost effective ways of satisfying that demand.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
The structure of the National Parks authority surely has representatives from the authorities in their area who should be aware of closure implications with impartiality.
What is the point of Local authorities and other public bodies having marketing and tourism departments when they only view half of the picture?
My local council is promoting the British Open in the coming years for the second time in recent years. And yet those who came to watch it last time who wished to camp in any type of unit had problems,due to there being only 3 campsites in the whole area.
They would rather promote a project called 'The Golf Coast',which is in effect a gated hotel complex with no need for guests to go out to the wider area. The forthcoming Open will issue 'Pass outs' for spectators to partake of local facilities,but only after some protests from local bars and restaurants.
I have been in correspondence with a local Councillor who is fully supportive of an aire type facility,I have submitted a cost benefit analysis which does appeal. Sadly the head of tourism is very political AND thick and allies themselves to the ruling party,which is not my supportive councillors. They are also a councillor in their own right in a neighbouring authority.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The structure of the National Parks authority surely has representatives from the authorities in their area who should be aware of closure implications with impartiality.
Details of Lake District NPA members Here:
22 members made up of:
6 appointed by Cumbria County Council
6 by the District Councils with areas in the National Park which are Allerdale, Copeland, Eden and South Lakeland
10 appointed by the Secretary of State to represent the national interest and Parish Councils in the National Park.

What is the point of Local authorities and other public bodies having marketing and tourism departments when they only view half of the picture?
My local council is promoting the British Open in the coming years for the second time in recent years. And yet those who came to watch it last time who wished to camp in any type of unit had problems,due to there being only 3 campsites in the whole area.
Have those who were inconvenienced last time made representations to the organisers of the British Open? Temporary sites are set up for other events so there are precedents if it is commercially viable.

They would rather promote a project called 'The Golf Coast',which is in effect a gated hotel complex with no need for guests to go out to the wider area. The forthcoming Open will issue 'Pass outs' for spectators to partake of local facilities,but only after some protests from local bars and restaurants.
I wonder if the reason for no camping facilities is hidden there? Could it be that part of the commercial case for funding of the event is the potential income from a captive audience. I'm put in mind of events like beer festivals (including the Chester one which Fun rallies at) where the bar takes tokens only and prices of beers and token books are rigged so that one is very lucky not to have left over tokens (= free money for the organisers).

I have been in correspondence with a local Councillor who is fully supportive of an aire type facility,I have submitted a cost benefit analysis which does appeal. Sadly the head of tourism is very political AND thick and allies themselves to the ruling party,which is not my supportive councillors. They are also a councillor in their own right in a neighbouring authority.
More power to your elbow, you are one of a very small minority who actually does something rather than just complaining. I had a similar experience this year in another area (not where I live) where a motorhome owning councillor is very supportive but is not a member of the ruling party and struggles to gain support even from his own party. All that can be done in those circumstances is to keep plugging away. It took David Lloyd several years at Guisborough but he did succeed and it was the fault of nobody involved that people didn't use the facility.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
There were a few unofficial sites set up a couple of Scout HQ with their own land and camping and my Rugby club opened up their car park and laid on water and the ablutions in the changing rooms.
But they received a warning letter and a rap on the knuckles not to do it again. The Scout groups en masses questioned it as they had permission for camping established before the council was formed in 1974-they won.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There were a few unofficial sites set up a couple of Scout HQ with their own land and camping and my Rugby club opened up their car park and laid on water and the ablutions in the changing rooms.
But they received a warning letter and a rap on the knuckles not to do it again. The Scout groups en masses questioned it as they had permission for camping established before the council was formed in 1974-they won.

Well done the Scouts :thumb: I'm surprised that some of the club DAs/Centres don't set up temporary sites. I understand there are going to be quite a few for the Tour de France locations in Yorkshire next year. I would have thought there is not a lot anyone could rap knuckles over in those circumstances :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back