Close Encounter with a Sparrowhawk (1 Viewer)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Investigating a sudden thump on the window we found a bird lying in a heap below it. I picked it up and stood it on a table by the door.

OI000012.jpg

OI000010.jpg

A juvenile Sparrowhawk but I can't work out if it is male or female. In the adult only the female is brown but in juveniles both are brown apparently. It wasn't very big so I think male. However, after looking dazed for about ten minutes it flew off and sat in a tree for a while before flying away. Hopefully it has learned not to attack birds coming to the feeder near the window it hit. :)

The tea towel it is sitting on is from the Well Hung Meat Company and I suspect the bird would broadly agree with what it written on it with the proviso of "hold the vegetables". :)

OI000013.jpg

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Investigating a sudden thump on the window we found a bird lying in a heap below it. I picked it up and stood it on a table by the door.

View attachment 177612
View attachment 177613

A juvenile Sparrowhawk but I can't work out if it is male or female. In the adult only the female is brown but in juveniles both are brown apparently. It wasn't very big so I think male. However, after looking dazed for about ten minutes it flew off and sat in a tree for a while before flying away. Hopefully it has learned not to attack birds coming to the feeder near the window it hit. :)

The tea towel it is sitting on is from the Well Hung Meat Company and I suspect the bird would broadly agree with what it written on it with the proviso of "hold the vegetables". :)

View attachment 177614
You are very privileged to have such a lovely bird bump in to your van
Bill

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Great pics @DBK - by complete co-incidence we had a sparrowhawk in our garden yesterday. It sat on the grass for about 15 minutes looking a bit dazed. I suspect it had just hit a nearby phone line. Fortunately it recovered and flew off so no intervention was required. Normally all we see of sparrowhawks are the remnants of pigeon left after a snack!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Nice close encounter as you say, (y) don't think I would have fancied handling it, o_O did you just open the door to release it ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
How beautiful, glad s/he was able to fly away

We had some of these on the windows in the last house in Cornwall, they stopped a lot of birdstrikes

Don't think they do sea eagle sized ones for the new house on Skye - but even if they did, I doubt the windows are big enough :rolleyes:

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
How beautiful, glad s/he was able to fly away

We had some of these on the windows in the last house in Cornwall, they stopped a lot of birdstrikes

Don't think they do sea eagle sized ones for the new house on Skye - but even if they did, I doubt the windows are big enough :rolleyes:

Have you seen a sea eagle yet Wendy, I'd love to see one, we were talking to a farmer on Harris this year and he said it was like seeing a barn door fly over!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Have you seen a sea eagle yet Wendy, I'd love to see one, we were talking to a farmer on Harris this year and he said it was like seeing a barn door fly over!
Oh yeah!

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
We have a sparrow hawk that comes to the garden ....the other day it flew low close to the back of the bungalow I was in the kitchen at the time it frightened the life out of me as it whizzed past the window.

Reactions: CWH
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Nice close encounter as you say, (y) don't think I would have fancied handling it, o_O did you just open the door to release it ?
It fluttered a bit so I picked it up and carried it outside and put it on the ground whereupon it flew off. It showed no aggression towards me, probably still a bit groggy. I only brought it inside after the initial crash because a couple of cats from next door do sit on our fence from time to time and might have had a go at it if I had left it outside on the ground.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back