Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Hi all,
I'm heading across to this west coast area from Venice tomorrow, the 4villages in this coastal park are closed to traffic? Is it doable in a MH? Anyone got some info. Enitially heading for La Spezia
thanks
Steph

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
There are 5 villages, Cinque meaning 5 in Italian. It is a fantastically beautiful area. All of the villages have access by road, but only just. However I would not suggest trying to get a motorhome in any of them, except maybe Corniglia, which is the only one not directly on the sea. There is a Railway line that links them all and you can get the train from La Spezia. That would be your best bet for visiting them. You can get a return day ticket that allows you get on and off whenever you want. And it will be a long day.

There is also a coastal footpath which gives fantastic views but is hard work! It goes vertically more than it goes horizontally, or at least it feels like it! Some of the Eastern section was closed when we were there. The section we did was from Monterosso to Vernazza. The views of Vernazza from the path are picture postcard perfect and you will probably recognise them from photos of Italy and jigsaw puzzles. By the time we got down to Vernazza we had earned the big Italian ice creams we treated ourselves to!

We stayed at Camping Aqua Dolce in Levanto, on the other side of the villages from La Spezia and we used the railway to get into the villages. Levanto is a nice little resort in itself and the camp site is only a couple of hundred yards from the centre and the beach. But I am not sure it will be open this late. You could give them a ring on +39 0187-808465. There is also a paid for Aire closer to the Station, but it did not look very nice.

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We went there a few years ago but I can't for the life of me recall where we stayed (sorry). I know we took the train in anyway.

To be honest I found the villages we saw a bit Disneyland, in the sense that their sole purpose (like many Italian honeypots) was the rapid extraction of tourist Euros. Quaint for sure, but one got the impression that they were dead as the proverbial doornail once all the tourists cleared off. A bit like Abersoch really, but with better ice cream :)

Obviously you have to create your own impressions, but two villages was quite enough for us. Then again it was a hot day. If I was going to go again I'd pay far more attention to the local path network than to the villages themselves - the coastline is very picturesque.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
No way can you visit them by van. There is however a cheap regular train linking all of them that spends most of its time in tunnels. In Deva Marina just to the north there are a couple of campsites and a Sosta within an easy walk of the station. Alternatively there is an area set aside for overnighting in the main car park in Monterosso which is one of the 5 lands. Well worth visiting

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OP
OP
stephsol
Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Thanks everyone, took the train, worked out fine, at Massa having a beach break,
Thanks again
Steph

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
stephsol
Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Vernazza was my favourite, but I visited them all of them with an open rail ticket (€14) I parked in area communal..N44,1042 E9,85908 €6 a safe location close to the harbour, bus into the train station around the corner. It is very touristic and the pickpocket announcements on the train were unsettling (as my stuff was in my shorts pockets ) so for piece of mind, wear a money belt or something you're confident with.....try get there early so you can explore the walks a little, although some are closed at the moment. I hope that's not turned you off...it's very nice .
IMG_20171024_134137337.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back