Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have sargent EC400 Power Control System on the motorhome which is working perfectly except that recently we have heard a clicking coming from underneath the fuse box, it only happens part of the day, not all day.
The reverse polarity light has started flickering, this light only came on when we were in France and never in this country.
We are on a sites(CL) electric where we are plugged into a normal blue round socket.
Everything works as normal otherwise, electric plug sockets, 12 volt sockets the heating and the ZIG unit above the door works normally.
Any idea's why it has started clicking, it is not overly warm to the touch?

Last edited:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Drop them an email or give them a call, they are very customer focused

Sargent Electrical Services Ltd.
Unit 39, Tokenspire Business Park
Beverley
East Yorkshire
HU17 0TB
United Kingdom

Phone 01482 881655
Fax 01482 678987
E-mail support@sargentltd.co.uk

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
loose wire in the hookup cable, probably the blue neutral? If so, it will be arcing a bit as you move about the van and the socket and cable wiggles

dont forget to unplug from the supply socket before unscrewing the cover to check

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Drop them an email or give them a call, they are very customer focused

Sargent Electrical Services Ltd.
Unit 39, Tokenspire Business Park
Beverley
East Yorkshire
HU17 0TB
United Kingdom

Phone 01482 881655
Fax 01482 678987
E-mail support@sargentltd.co.uk

Thanks for that, I did email them and they said to take it to swift who will check it for us.
I have shut the system down for a while to see if it will reset itself.
We have done this a few times on the sat box when it freezes and it seems to clear it so it might be something like a chip freezing...possibly???
I dont know, try all the easy ways first.
To really retired...
Cockroach dies for a few hours a day??? He goes quiet then chirps up in the early evening, sleeps until the next early evening???:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
All a bit strange!!!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks for that, I did email them and they said to take it to swift who will check it for us.
I have shut the system down for a while to see if it will reset itself.

Do as they say, especially if it's a warranty job. The worst thing you can do is keep resetting it and dithering and then all of a sudden it's out of warranty or legal redress time.

Don't overlook Big1's comment, kick, shake, twist all cables ( not too violently ) outside and in, to provoke the fault. Then you do it more and more gently until you are more or less touching the problem, if it is a loose joint.

If that draws a blank you have faulty equipment that need replacing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks hilldweller, its out of warranty.
The van is nearly 3 years old now.
It is only warrantied for 1 year according to the paperwork.
We have put it into another electrical socket in the sites electric and now the reverse polarity light is not lit or flickering, the clicking sound doesn't happen till early evening so will wait to see if it clicks later on today after changing sockets.
Then we will contact swift to check it for us.
Ironically when the dealer did some work for us last year, we lost all the 12 volt and the LED lights on one side of the van (we have 2 x12 volt sockets) and marquis said that a plug had worked itself out of the unit at sometime during their repair, ( we wouldn't have been able to get to it they said) they fixed it back in, now I mention it it could be that????
The problem we have now has only just arisen.

Last edited:
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi. Give Clive Day a ring at Sargents very helpful and he will talk you thru the problem. I had similar prob while in france due to reverse polarity , phoned him on my return he talked me thru various procedures got it sorted but eventually had slight further prob with fuses in the unit which caused electric step not to work but local m/h dealer sorted after speaking to Clive. Hopefully he will be able to sort your prob. Terry:sin:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks hilldweller, its out of warranty.
The van is nearly 3 years old now..

Remember I said outside legal redress. No way is it reasonable for such a unit to be fit to work for a single year. I just gets harder and you have to be more aggressive out of the manufacturers stated warranty. With the number of complaints about Sargent control systems on the forums you have a good case at 3 years.

I was in Spinney Motorhomes a few weeks ago for a test of the Truma. Their engineer said it could be a bad battery, don't leave the battery on charge. I laid into him, "With a proper charger you can leave it on 24/7/365 with no problems". He said "if you knew how many Sargent chargers we change you'd not say that". My wife is a witness ! She was quite embarrassed but I know I was right and kept going.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back