Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,

I could have posted this in the Continental Touring section but it's a warning message on every level so I guess it's alright to put it here.

Today I was looking at prices for the Italy-Greece ferry that we will be catching this year.
I visited a couple of sites, finishing with the Minoan Ferry Co. The prices given for a specific journey came in around the £440 mark (Tip. If you can, ask for the price in Euro's, it's considerably cheaper than £'s)

Anyway, later today I went back on the Ferry site, showing SWMBO the fare I had found. The fare suddenly jumped up to a figure of £500.

I reckon the reason for the £60 increase was that the Ferry Co., through the cookies, knew that I was interested and upped the fare.

Moral of this story is that if you have to check fares, wipe out your cookies before each and every search.
I'm not in a position to book right now thank goodness, but when I do it will be from a cookiless computer.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
go into settings on whatever browser you are using, find the history setting and the option to clear cookies should be around there

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Drexxer. To do the job better (imo) download C Cleaner (free) and get rid of all the shoite left after browsing even innocuous sites like the National Trust, which leaves all manner of bogies on your system.
Just Google C Cleaner but download from Piriform to guarantee a clean download.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We flew out to Berlin earlier this year. BA site the flights got more expensive as time went on as I searched for the cheapest prices across the airlines.

In the end the Club class was cheaper than coach :eek:

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
No but on Firefox they are grouped together:

Attachments

• cookies.JPG
    cookies.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 15

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Drexxer. To do the job better (imo) download C Cleaner (free) and get rid of all the shoite left after browsing even innocuous sites like the National Trust, which leaves all manner of bogies on your system.
Just Google C Cleaner but download from Piriform to guarantee a clean download.
I also use this..

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
History is not the same as cookies, the former will show all the sites you have visited today or the option of going way back. Useful for finding a website you may have been looking at earlier but lost the address but keep a check on it if there may be something there you may not want others to see. :eek:

Firefox is Tools/Options/Privacy then Show Cookies which gives you the option to remove them. Should be something similar in Chrome.

just wandering

Free Member
Feb 12, 2015
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Sorry for the delay, I opened chrome to check as i've not used it for a while and it clashed with my firefox. Anyway, at the top on your bar there is an icon with 3 horizontal bars, click that and scroll down to 'settings', click 'settings' and scroll down to 'show advanced settings' click 'show advanced settings' and you'll see a tab 'clear browsing data' click 'clear browsing data' there you will have all the options of removing individual cookies or all cookies and browsing history. You can also choose for which time period to delete data.

Jack

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
Thank you for all of your replies and advice, I now appear to be cookie -less :D, (y)

Andy

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I always clear cookies with ferry & airline ticket sites, recently booked flights to Thailand went up £30 in 5 min came back down after clearing cookies.

For Ferries to Greece it's worth contacting Viamare, they will give you best prices for all the ferry lines & you can pay in Euro. Advised me to join Minoan club to get another 10% off.
I ended up with the camper deal and discounts for early booking, over 60, & Minoan Club.
It is best to phone them and they respond with written email quotes far easier than tying to Use their website.

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Once you clear your cookies you have the problem that all your saved passwords disappear and you have to dig them all out again. I, for one, do not believe they give you a higher price than everybody else, A simple check amounts to asking a pal to log onto the same website and see if they get a different price. I'll show my arse on the town hall steps if there is a difference. Mind you, the nice folk of Bolton are getting a bit fed up of seeing it.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Of course the other option if on Firefox is to install an add on called Link Removed.

My saved passwords don't disappear on Firefox by deleting cookies.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Bottom Left Hand corner, left click starti
Once you clear your cookies you have the problem that all your saved passwords disappear and you have to dig them all out again. I, for one, do not believe they give you a higher price than everybody else, A simple check amounts to asking a pal to log onto the same website and see if they get a different price. I'll show my arse on the town hall steps if there is a difference. Mind you, the nice folk of Bolton are getting a bit fed up of seeing it.

Bernard,

You could always send them over the hill to Batley.

It was a regular show for the folks there when I worked in the town:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back