Clear bike cover (1 Viewer)

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
I have a Hymer 534 with a large window in the back of the U-lounge, and the bike rack is mounted in front of the window. I want to get a bike cover to protect my two bikes but this would block my view out the window.

Are there clear bike covers?

I'd imagine they would be made of plastic that wouldn't be as durable as fabric, but I'm willing to replace them every few years.

Or should I just forget the covers, leave the bikes exposed to the rain and try to grease the bike components regularly?

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
We have been carrying two bikes on our rack for 13 years now and have never used a cover. The bikes have been kept oiled and cleaned for normal use and have never suffered from rusting due to being on the rack.
Last year I did buy a secondhand (unused) Fiamma cover but found it too much hassle to fit, so still unused!

Edit. We do put covers over the seats, a plastic bag (tied on) will do.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
I should imagine that this is possible but costly. You would probably need to ask a sailmaker to put one together using the clear plastic used on some windsurfing sales. We have a relative who is a professional sailmaker in Liverpool who made us an excellent bike cover. Of course the plastic see through material would not be as clear as glass.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Like @dalspa we carried bikes on the rack without covers over a period of time.

Keeping the chain and gear shifters well oiled and cleaning down the frames when necessary kept them in good condition.

We tried a cover but found it blocked our view and couldn’t stop all the spray anyway.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Opaque covers would conceal what you have underneath. I'm not sure that you'd see much through (at least) two layers of clear plastic. Have you considered adding a camera?

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Is the view acceptable when the cover is not in place? Our rear view is obscured whether the covers are used or not.
A tow-bar mounted bike rack would remove the bicycles from window view.
I also wouldn't fancy leaving my bikes completely exposed to the elements 24-7.
Fine for a few weeks but all year round :eek:

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Our bikes obstruct the rear window too and with the old bikes we used to leave them exposed so you could see bits around and through them - they got really dirty if the weather was bad, though nothing that wouldn't clean off later. The new ebikes are much more expensive so we wanted a cover to protect the electrical parts (particularly the battery connections) and to remove them from casual view. Our Hindermann cover encloses them completely and works really well but it does mean we can't see anything from the rear window now.

A better (though more expensive) solution would be a towbar bike carrier so they'd sit lower below the window. It's not practical for us as we then wouldn't be able to get into the rear locker, but it may be an option for you?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
The worst damage to cycles is caused by strong sunlight,,it perishers the rubber,,tyres, gaiters etc..I always cover my bikes when abroad but don't bother in UK.A clear cover would not protect from sunshine.BUSBY.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
On 4th motorhome in 17 years none have had a rear window. Wing mirrors work fine and this is the first with reversing camera which is handy.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We have been carrying two bikes on our rack for 13 years now and have never used a cover. The bikes have been kept oiled and cleaned for normal use and have never suffered from rusting due to being on the rack.
Last year I did buy a secondhand (unused) Fiamma cover but found it too much hassle to fit, so still unused!

Edit. We do put covers over the seats, a plastic bag (tied on) will do.
I use a flowery shower cap on my seat!!

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I cover our bikes to hide them, when we had old bikes we never bothered, it's better to get use to using the mirrors. (y)
A clear cover would be a plastic bag, We did buy bike size bags once when we put our bikes inside a caravan, but they would not last long outside. :D

Screenshot_20181203-192524.jpg

But it would keep them dry. :doh: Bob.

OP
OP
Fulltiming Felines

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
Is the view acceptable when the cover is not in place? Our rear view is obscured whether the covers are used or not.
The view is decent. Not much use for driving (I'm fitting a reversing camera soon), but it's nice to look through the window when sitting in the U-lounge.

Our bikes obstruct the rear window too and with the old bikes we used to leave them exposed so you could see bits around and through them - they got really dirty if the weather was bad, though nothing that wouldn't clean off later. The new ebikes are much more expensive so we wanted a cover to protect the electrical parts (particularly the battery connections) and to remove them from casual view. Our Hindermann cover encloses them completely and works really well but it does mean we can't see anything from the rear window now.

A better (though more expensive) solution would be a towbar bike carrier so they'd sit lower below the window. It's not practical for us as we then wouldn't be able to get into the rear locker, but it may be an option for you?
I have e-bikes too, but cheap ones (£400 each from Bicycles4U). I'm leaning towards just leaving the bikes exposed without a cover but perhaps I can cover up just the electrical connections to the batteries. The batteries themselves are stored inside the vehicle.

I've read a few bike articles and it looks I just need to lube up the chain, gears, and other components and do that regularly. Just ordered this Muc-Off Wet Lube.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back