Cleaning Your Motorhome (1 Viewer)

May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Howdy Campers

Been covered a thousand time no doubt but wondering how you all go about cleaning your motorhome? I had a go yesterday and it was a bit of a pain. Gaffer taped some old dishtowels onto the top of an extending ladder. Started with the rood and took a bucket of car wash and a extendable brush up there. Threw the car wash about and set about it with the brush. I was able to reach a lot of the roof from one point so was pleased with that but not the fact I was using cold water and the method of applying the shampoo.
I then done the sides using a mitt and had to go up and down the ladders to soak the mitt every time. Got a bit soaked but that didn't bother me too much as I was expecting that.
I was looking at buying an extendable flow through brush from Halfords which uses soap sticks therefore I'd be applying soap and water at the same time albeit cold but read some poor reviews on Halfords flow through pole. Then I remembered I have a Karcher K2 which never gets used. I bought a brush attachment for it and now wondering whether the hose and lance will be long enough but at least it again will be applying soap and water at same time.
I don't mind cleaning the Moho but would like to be a bit more efficient at it. I couldn't reach the front of the rood where it dips down to the windscreen at all apart from at the sides so it's still a bit manky.
Apologies for the long story. Maybe someone will enjoy reading about my pathetic first time attempt to clean the van. At least it will contribute to my desire to get a bit fitter and lose the chocolate induced pot belly with the number of times I was up and down the ladder.

Kind regards
Fatty

Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
I am getting too old to go up and down a wobbly ladder. Found a great guy to clean and wax my 7.5m Hymer in 2019 for £165. He is based in East Kent, but will travel. He has a Facebook page, search for "Auto-Perfection Kent".

Here is what it looked like after he had finished. It would have taken days for me to get it that good

View attachment 476636

I have just booked him again for the beginning of May.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
That is really impressive.
whoever trimmed those hedges in the background is also a master of the trade!!;)
Up until about 5 years ago that was us. But again not good with ladders now so get people in. The trick is to trim it every year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
Up until about 5 years ago that was us. But again not good with ladders now so get people in. The trick is to trim it every year.
Impressive!
My family have a thing about neatly trimmed hedges and topiary....! Really!.....it goes back generations seemingly as I recently saw looking at some old photos from late 19th century relatives outside their cottage......huge hedges neatly cut and some shaped as cockerels etc. Visiting Italian gardens is a treat...they trim everything in sight! Borromean islands in Lake Garda in spring..paradise. Rant over! :giggle:

Upvote 0

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
I am getting too old to go up and down a wobbly ladder. Found a great guy to clean and wax my 7.5m Hymer in 2019 for £165. He is based in East Kent, but will travel. He has a Facebook page, search for "Auto-Perfection Kent".

Here is what it looked like after he had finished. It would have taken days for me to get it that good

View attachment 476636

Looks like a lovely job, my Hymer is in storage in Kent and last time I looked it was looking very sad so I’ll contact Mr Auto Perfection to see if he can make Hymer happy again

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
For some reason I've not been getting email alerts so didn't realise I had so many replies to my post sorry folks. I'm glad I'm not the only one who seems to be having a bit of bother working out the most efficient way. I suppose it's down to experimenting to see what works for each person and capability regards using ladders. Looks a long way down when you're up there. When I was young I would have had no problem jumping down but now with the added weight of my pot belly it wouldn't be a pretty sight.
I'll have to read through all the post again to try and work out a plan from here. I did buy a brush attachment for the Karcher 2 I have. I also have Fenwicks stuff but the karcher doesn't use that so need to work out a way of applying that.
I spoke to the previous owner last night who mentioned Silky for all the trim between the panels so that's ordered now. He also mentioned foam pads from either B and M or Home Bargains that are supposed to be good for that.
We'll all be getting excited now as It's getting near to the time we can all clog up the roads on our way to the camp sites and get on everyone's nerves ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I mentioned cleaning our motorhome elsewhere and using Muck Off caravan cleaner as supplied via a matte that cleans mountain bikes with a Muck Off spray. My mate got it at a discount price.
Since my post I have been informed they don’t sell caravan cleaner any more. Maybe there normal stuff will be ok to use on the motorhome.

Upvote 0

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
I have ladders to get up to the roof and a extended brush to clean it the problem i have is waxing it as i cant reach across to apply and polish the wax.
I could do with something you spray on and leave but not sure how effective that would be or if you can buy such a thing.
Turtle wax ,spray on wet and leave, just used it on mine and looks ok, I can see it from bedroom and the water is beading happy for now . see my earlier post on how I put in on.

Upvote 0

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
Would love to find a MH valeter in Peterborough that charges £165 including roof and polish. Both I found seem to be £200-£300 and very vague on what is/isn’t included for that price.

Upvote 0

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
You could try Lomax Valeting - they do north cambs/south Lincs & inc Peterborough. Havnt used them I'm afraid - they dont come as far north as Grantham, but their wash prices seem to be reasonable - from £100 for wash & wax and they list the details on their web site.
Im currently trying to get hold of the local people for Autovalet Direct.

Reactions: M-J
Upvote 0

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018

View attachment 476636

He did mine this morning in appalling weather and made a fantastic job of it
CDBCDDFA-D299-4AC8-83A6-8C71287B957B.jpeg

it had green stuff growing on it and looked terrible until he worked his magic…I’ll definitely be using him again.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back