Cleaning Your Motorhome (1 Viewer)

May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Howdy Campers

Been covered a thousand time no doubt but wondering how you all go about cleaning your motorhome? I had a go yesterday and it was a bit of a pain. Gaffer taped some old dishtowels onto the top of an extending ladder. Started with the rood and took a bucket of car wash and a extendable brush up there. Threw the car wash about and set about it with the brush. I was able to reach a lot of the roof from one point so was pleased with that but not the fact I was using cold water and the method of applying the shampoo.
I then done the sides using a mitt and had to go up and down the ladders to soak the mitt every time. Got a bit soaked but that didn't bother me too much as I was expecting that.
I was looking at buying an extendable flow through brush from Halfords which uses soap sticks therefore I'd be applying soap and water at the same time albeit cold but read some poor reviews on Halfords flow through pole. Then I remembered I have a Karcher K2 which never gets used. I bought a brush attachment for it and now wondering whether the hose and lance will be long enough but at least it again will be applying soap and water at same time.
I don't mind cleaning the Moho but would like to be a bit more efficient at it. I couldn't reach the front of the rood where it dips down to the windscreen at all apart from at the sides so it's still a bit manky.
Apologies for the long story. Maybe someone will enjoy reading about my pathetic first time attempt to clean the van. At least it will contribute to my desire to get a bit fitter and lose the chocolate induced pot belly with the number of times I was up and down the ladder.

Kind regards
Fatty

fullfat

Free Member
Nov 27, 2017
The North
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Carry on camper, enjoyed your cleaning post.
If you’re happy with the outcome, then so am I
Stay safe brother

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Carry on camper, enjoyed your cleaning post.
If you’re happy with the outcome, then so am I
Stay safe brother
But I'm not:confused:. Van's still manky in my opinion

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Just spent the last three days cleaning ours. Well to be honest about five hours each day. All cleaned down and polished now. Of course I had just put down the last polishing cloth and there was a loud screech as a Sh1t Hawk executed a near perfect bombing run and splattered from one front corner to the opposite corner at the back :banghead:.

Upvote 0

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
Hi hogger,i have just spent 3 days waxing the van but need to do the roof,trouble is i cannot stand on the roof nor reach halfway even standing on ladders.
I need some wax i can put on and shine with an extendable something or other.
So hopefully someone will come up with ideas.

Upvote 0

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
I have yet to see a favourable review saying that the extendable brush type things, from any supplier, don't end up leaking. I've come to the conclusion you have to wash your van whilst wrapped up in a drysuit.

The joy of a tall vehicle is you need ladders. Step ladder may be better for not leaning against the vehicle. If you are sure the roof really can take heavy loads you might climb on it (why else do many of the larger MH's have ladders on the back), but take care not to slip as it will be a loooong way down.

Take care with use of any jet washer. All too easy to start to wash / blow out sealants in joints and seams.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
On most of the roof lights [ openers] they have some restriction on the amount they can be opened. I found I was able to remove these plastic [ might be brittle, be careful ] pins, and then fully open the roof lights. With a pair of short steps inside the van, and an extending, pole + the hosepipe brought through the van, and out to roof area, I was able to reach all the roof area, without having to climb on the roof. The low profile big opening window gave access to the front of the van, but so did the extending pole. I have one of those 5mt Telescopic poles they use for swimming pool nets. I made up my own broom with a good quality nylon bristle brush head. The van was supposed to have been thoroughly cleaned pre pick up, :rolleyes: I'm guessing roofs fall outside of the cleaners remit.
Mike

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I use one of these type of ladders for mine it gets used in every configuration to complete the task usually over four or five days

<Broken link removed>

I am in ore of the people who say they have cleaned and polished their m/h starting at 9.00am and completed it before lunch :notworthy2:

There is no easy way other than doing it every week or getting someone else to do it for you.(y)
Firstly I use the Karcher and the ladder (in Step or platform ladder config) I have a snow foam attachment which I can get up above roofline and give the roof a a good foaming once that is done I go around the m/h ensuring I get all the rest of the exterior foamed, by then it's time for the first coffee and a ciggy.:winky:

Next job is blast off the wheels with the pressure washer and with the hose spend half an hour or so copiously swilling it down with clean water, if I'm not happy with the result I repeat the prosses again.

Next job is the actual washing in earnest (which requires another coffee and ciggy in order to contemplate the task ahead) again using the step ladder a long handled micro fibre mop and
a bucket of warm wash and wax , I set about removing as much of the grime as possible using the hose to rinse off whilst washing.
Once the roof is done I use the platform config to move around the m/h washing and rinsing a section at a time from the top down.
Once again I will more than likely repeat this process again.

Time now, (as it usually takes the whole of the first day to complete the wash) for a glass or two of wine and a ciggy whilst the sun sets over the roof of the m/h.:giggle:;)

Don't forget to tune in for the next thrilling episode of ..... "How clean is your roof"

Les

cat yawn GIF

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi hogger,i have just spent 3 days waxing the van but need to do the roof,trouble is i cannot stand on the roof nor reach halfway even standing on ladders.
I need some wax i can put on and shine with an extendable something or other.
So hopefully someone will come up with ideas.
Looks like you have a PVC? I bought the Thule ladder fixation kit last year and it made the job of reaching the roof easy. We already had a telescopic ladder to use with it. We put the magnetic fixing up as high as we can reach on the side of the van and then strap on the ladder. I found that I could safely climb right up the ladder and lean over the roof to reach the middle. Move the fixing around the van as necessary. I do have long arms though :Smile:

Upvote 0

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
I stand on the front wheels to get the front of the roof and and join with the windscreen done.
ladder with towels wrapped around them.
then a long extending wash brush. Oh and a toothbrush for those awkward places
Use fenwicks motorhome cleaner and bobby dazzler , secound year and seems to leave the wan a shiny as Meer wash.

I do put 3 coats meer polish on the metal cab though.

Upvote 0

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
I have just done my new van, the roof i did with my extendable brush ,I put the soapy suds on with a garden sprayer found it reaches right across
the van but the brush doesn't , I have short arms ( and yes deep pockets) so have to it from both sides I then use one of those spray mop things for spraying the roof with some liquid wax the type that you put on a wet surface and let it self shine I then use Auto Glyn body conditioner on the rest of the van doing back then front and then sides dry then wax with some g3 pro seems to have a nice shine now, but it took me 3 days but I enjoyed it .

Upvote 0
Mar 8, 2021
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E599
Exp
I gave mine a clean yesterday too, but didn't bother with the roof. Powerwash, Snowfoam, power wash, sponge wash with shampoo, power wash, then let it drip dry as i couldn't be bothered using a chamois. I also did the alloys with alloy cleaner and wheel brush, then cloth dry to make them shiny. It's as good as it's going to get for now.
WhatsApp Image 2021-03-22 at 22.27.21.jpeg

Upvote 0

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
I reckon with all that running up and down ladders you will be changing your sign off from fatty to slim

• Funny
Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
I always traffic film remover with a softish headed brush its what I wash the lorries with and seems pretty good

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2021
Brixham the English riviera
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Did mine today top to bottom. The body was pretty good anyway as I washed it last week without too much rain since. Hadn't stopped it raining seagull crap though! That's the only thing about living on the coast.
20210305_174447.jpg
I've
20210305_174504.jpg
just bought a full cover so had to do the roof this time as well. As my drive is sloped and the van being pointed downwards I started at the back using a step ladder at the side, a bucket of water with a car shampoo and telescopic brush that I can cover the whole roof in two step moves each side, a very long garden hose for rinsing and I cover the broom head a couple of times with a dry cloth and use that to dry it with. Pleased with the result and now it's ready to go when our first trip comes up.
20210305_174431.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I know there are Nay sayers but having our HymerCar ceramic coated when new was the best thing I could have done. No waxing or polishing, just a quick wash and it comes up all sparkling like new.

Upvote 0

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
I have ladders to get up to the roof and a extended brush to clean it the problem i have is waxing it as i cant reach across to apply and polish the wax.
I could do with something you spray on and leave but not sure how effective that would be or if you can buy such a thing.

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2012
Claypole, Near Newark
Funster No
MH
WildAx Elara
Exp
1616579415574.png
This is my tool of choice nowadays for the hard to get places on the roof. Followed by a good hosing down. Has worked very well for the last 2/3 years and much better than the water fed brushes that are rubbish and always end up spinning on the brush pole or drowning you when you least expect it.

Upvote 0

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
IView attachment 476538This is my tool of choice nowadays for the hard to get places on the roof. Followed by a good hosing down. Has worked very well for the last 2/3 years and much better than the water fed brushes that are rubbish and always end up spinning on the brush pole or drowning you when you least expect it.
View attachment 476538This is my tool of choice nowadays for the hard to get places on the roof. Followed by a good hosing down. Has worked very well for the last 2/3 years and much better than the water fed brushes that are rubbish and always end up spinning on the brush pole or drowning you when you least expect it.
Yes I have one of those but I still need to Wax the roof

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
think I will try the hand car was down the road and our Polish friends they a good job on the cars and I can sit on the wall in the sunshine and supervise :clap2:

Upvote 1
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I am getting too old to go up and down a wobbly ladder. Found a great guy to clean and wax my 7.5m Hymer in 2019 for £165. He is based in East Kent, but will travel. He has a Facebook page, search for "Auto-Perfection Kent".

Here is what it looked like after he had finished. It would have taken days for me to get it that good

clean Hymer.jpg

I have just booked him again for the beginning of May.

Upvote 0
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
I am getting too old to go up and down a wobbly ladder. Found a great guy to clean and wax my 7.5m Hymer in 2019 for £165. He is based in East Kent, but will travel. He has a Facebook page, search for "Auto-Perfection Kent".

Here is what it looked like after he had finished. It would have taken days for me to get it that good

View attachment 476636

I have just booked him again for the beginning of May.
That is really impressive.
whoever trimmed those hedges in the background is also a master of the trade!!;)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back