Cleaning Water Tanks (1 Viewer)

quicksilver

Free Member
May 9, 2010
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Need to clean my water tanks. Got a stomach bug and wonder if it could be the water tank as we do drink from it.
Anyone got any suggestions what to use and how to do it? I know there are some things in the accessory shops but I wonder if anyone has a preference?

QS

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
well , the stuff they use to disinfect baby's bottles is actually very dilute sodium hypochlorite which you can buy more concentrated as a common or garden domestic bleach ; so a couple of teaspoons of that added to a full 100 litre water tank , left overnight , will kill all the germs you might have

unfortunately , as you will have noticed in a swimming pool or your domestic water supply if it has been infected , it leaves a nasty smell and taste .....so plenty of rinsing through will be required to get rid of that !
but if your domestic water supply currently smells of chlorine just filling the tank with that for the night will do the job , difficult to get rid of the tang then , what do you rinse it with :Doh:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if you fill it with uk tap water a few times it will come clean .thevery small amount of clorine use will do the job. .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2009
Near Tenterden, Kent
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
Since 2009
Try this link. below. We have just used these tablets for both the clean water and waste tanks.

OH was complaing about the lousy taste in her tea and we were getting "bad egg" smells from the waste.

Happy to say both problems have now gone completely.

IIRC, 10 tablets cost £5 incl P+P and they arrived the next day. We have no connection with this company but can recommend the product. It solved our problem.

http://zappysblog.com/motorhome-art...-tanks-and-containers-in-caravans-motorhomes/

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
The post above refering to Zappys blog is the best and simplest stuff I've used. (review here: http://www.doyourdream.co.uk/2010/05/cleaning-fresh-water-tank/ )

I believe a post was made here to tell us all about it but it got moderated for advertising :ROFLMAO: despite it being really very useful. It is quite a long running and positive thread on the more moderated "factual" site so a bit strange really.

After cleaning my tank a week or 2 ago I have removed it to fix a drip (where I fitted the ice defrost element :Doh: ) and so looked inside the tank even close up it is clean and smells fresh (bar some sand at the bottom) and considering (a) how much we've used it and (b) that it has been left for most of the winter, then its quite a good result:thumb:

ETA: I have no connection with Zappy or his product - just really pleased I saw him saying about it, and it does what it says on the tin. (Well - A4 paper!)

OP
OP
Q

quicksilver

Free Member
May 9, 2010
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Try this link. below. We have just used these tablets for both the clean water and waste tanks.

OH was complaing about the lousy taste in her tea and we were getting "bad egg" smells from the waste.

IIRC, 10 tablets cost £5 incl P+P and they arrived the next day. We have no connection with this company but can recommend the product. It solved our problem.

http://zappysblog.com/motorhome-art...-tanks-and-containers-in-caravans-motorhomes/

Thanks Brent & Sue,
What a great link loads of good information. Will give the tablets a whirl.

Many thanks,

QS

Ash

Trader - Service & Repairs
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2007
Chapel st Leonard's. Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We always fill our tank and add Baby Milton and leave it for 24 hours , we also do our waste tank with it aswell to stop the smells ,
We do have a 2nt tap fitted in ours for Purifying water and find it is brilliant for using all over the country , no need to buy bottled water outside the UK .
very easy to fit and would recommend :thumb:

Ash

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
one of the best items i'v bought for the van.

Link Removed

Link Removed

you can put dirty ditch water in your tank and it comes out of the tap germ free and purer than tap water.

filtration is so fine it even removes virus's.

not a cheap option but well worth the money (it can be bought much cheaper than the RRP listed)

will filter nearly 2000ltrs before the cartridge needs changing and the system can easily be swapped from van to van.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I believe a post was made here to tell us all about it but it got moderated for advertising :ROFLMAO: despite it being really very useful. It is quite a long running and positive thread on the more moderated "factual" site so a bit strange really.

Nothing Strange at all, you can dress an advert up in some useful information, but its still an advert. it was an advert and they have to be paid for. Its how we survive, Its a fact we don't have a 50k a year in subs (as well as advertisers) so we rely on advertisers paying to promote their products. Every day, spammers try to take advantage, that useful post was spam, and how I hate spammers who leech of others to get something for nothing. :Angry: The same link has been posted by others, and this is not a problem, but when the seller tries to promote it directly, that is Spam.

Most Spam is caught before anyone sees it, if I left it alone for just a week this site would be a very different place, so no, not strange at all, just good practise:thumb:

OP
OP
Q

quicksilver

Free Member
May 9, 2010
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

Thanks Brent and Sue,

Got the tablets, arrived next day as you said. Easy to to do and a great result.

Regards,

QS

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
DON'T Milton attacks Stainless Steel Truma and most water heaters have Stainless tanks.

Hi Lenny I think you are missing the point when using Milton or any other Bleach, the whole idea is only to leave it in the tanks etc. for an hour max, or so then flush it out-- flush it out no damage can be done in that time :thumb: it is only if it is left in the tank :winky: Also our tap water is treated and should be fine but I have left a clear plastic bottle full of tap water in my garage for a few weeks / months and gone for it only to discover that it is full of green algae,:Eeek: a small spot of bleach shifts this in about ten mins / rinse out then refill and drink :ROFLMAO:

terry

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Tablets

I have always used sterilising fluid which normally contains 5% Sodium Hypochlorite and leave for 30 minutes with a ten minute drive then flush out twice. It does however state on the bottle not to use on anything metal. For the short time I leave it in once a year, I'll take the chance.

The tablets in the blog are also Sodium Hypochlorite if I'm not mistaken so I don't actaully see any gain from using them and they probably wouldn't be recommended if the solution came into contact with a Truma boiler or similar any more than the sterilising fluid would be recommended.

A bottle of household bleach we have states 5% Sodium Hypochlorite, 5% Sodium Hydroxide plus surfactants so this is probably not a good idea.

I'm sure I read some time ago about using steradent or something similar but I haven't tried that. Haven't lost enough gnashers for that yet. :RollEyes:

eclaire

Free Member
Jul 24, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Winnebago instructions say to use bleach. We did this and it did smell very clean and chlorinated for a few tankfulls after despite flushing several times!!
We dont drink it though so not as much of an issue for us. We used to put bleach down the sink in the caravan if smells came up in the summer. Will proabably just do the same in the MH, pour a bit down the drain into the grey tank
claire:-}

hallii

Free Member
Apr 23, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
20 or so
Elsin, made by Elsan, the best water and tank cleaner going.

Sodium Hypochlorite makes th water taste and takes several flushes to remove just the smell, even after 4 flushes I could taste it in my tea.

The Elsin stuff doesn't taste, cleans tanks and sterilises water. Perfik!

Hallii

OP
OP
Q

quicksilver

Free Member
May 9, 2010
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I think you are are missing the point. If you read the blogs article it is about getting the strength right which you can't do with bleach it also contains other things. I was very pleased with the results and no taste at all.

QS

mariner41

Free Member
Aug 4, 2009
scotland
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
3 years
water tank

Hi
We alway put a purifying tablet in the water tank before filling it
just to be safe
but we dont drink or make tea from tank water
we carry a plastic jerry can full of drinking water
Jim.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I really don't understand why so many of you put chemicals in you drinking water tanks, there is more that enough bug killing chemicals in the UK water supply to do the job without adding to it.

Also plastic absorbs chemicals and some chemicals even combine with some plastic's to make a secondary chemical!

As your tanks and pipes are made of plastic you are just adding to the off tastes that you will not like.

Of course if you get you water from a unknown source like a river, lake, or your in a country were the water is suspect then by all means put water purifying chemicals in to the tank.

Filtration as suggested earlier is by far the best way to get a drinkable water from your tank, expensive yes, but you will never regret it, that is if you don't cut corners and buy a ineffective one.

Doug...

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i think alot of you have midded the point. if you fill with chlorinated tap water just about every time .the water cant wont go off. dont compare with clear plastic bottles in the light somewhere. .if you do putdirty water in just flush out with more chlorinated tap water .you dont need to add anything. water should last from one year to the next.
yes the filter pappa uses is good and even removes chlorine. i use a doulton berkenfield with silver inlay but only if i have knowingly put not nice water in .sometimes we use riverwater if inthe wilds .but on return run good tap water through and away you go.
have a word with your local water plant operatives get their advise .
if you are lucky get a visit to the works its very informative and could ease minds of some of you.
cheers alan.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
In the past we have always used water from the tank for drinking & yes often you get the horrible taste which can be caused by the reaction of minerals & chemicals in the water with the plastics.
As Alan says there is enough chemicals in the water to made it perfectly safe for drinking. For the last 6 months we have use a cheap jug filter to run the water through for drinking never had a bad tasting cupper since doing this, it's cheap & works for us.

OP
OP
Q

quicksilver

Free Member
May 9, 2010
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
We always drink from the tanks but I don't think you can rely on the amount of chlorine in tap water to keep the tank clean it is such a small amount, and apparently it is non existent after 24 hours. Having followed the instructions on the zappysblog I did not experience any taste problems (except for the better) I think the articles are very informative.
I would never risk putting river water in my tanks you never know whats in there decomposing.

QS

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
most drinking water is river water put into tanks then as a solution of alu minium sulphide and some other stuff chucked in the solution makes the waste drop to the bottom of tank .when it get to the correct ph. its moved to other tanks and aerate that makes it sparkle. thats it till its chlorinated to go in the pipes. i used to shift the alum waste from fresh water sites . visit your local watersite have a visit its very interesting.
my safari filter uses silver instead of the aluminium as the water companies dont want to spend on silver.
wishing wells were for throwing silver coins into that gave fresh water. silver is the best purifier . cowboys were suposed to put silver dollars in their water bottles to keep the water fresh. if you are rich put some silver in your tank that will purify it for you.

OP
OP
Q

quicksilver

Free Member
May 9, 2010
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
most drinking water is river water put into tanks then as a solution of alu minium sulphide and some other stuff chucked in the solution makes the waste drop to the bottom of tank .when it get to the correct ph. its moved to other tanks and aerate that makes it sparkle. thats it till its chlorinated to go in the pipes. i used to shift the alum waste from fresh water sites . visit your local watersite have a visit its very interesting.
my safari filter uses silver instead of the aluminium as the water companies dont want to spend on silver.
wishing wells were for throwing silver coins into that gave fresh water. silver is the best purifier . cowboys were suposed to put silver dollars in their water bottles to keep the water fresh. if you are rich put some silver in your tank that will purify it for you.

I have been looking at the Doulton Berkefeld filters as you suggested they are pricey and not without their drawbacks. You need to clean them regularly and replace the filter cartridge every 6 to 12 months at a quite a high cost. Also they won't filter viruses.

I can't afford a silver ingot in the tank either. Nothing is perfect I suppose but the small cost of tablets and done right is good enough for me.

QS

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back