Cleaning under Solar Panels (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
I have just purchased all that I need to fit a 100W Solar Panel to my MH.

I intend to secure it using Aluminium Angle, either riveted or bolted to the panels, as seems to be common practice. However, I have been thinking about cleaning the roof after the Solar Panel is fitted, if it is riveted on.

Do any of you have any tips for cleaning under panels .... or is it a case of "Out of Sight, Out of Mind!"

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i fit my panels front to back in banks of threes i only put angle across the front and the rear so i can get a brush under the panels or hose it out
heres a pic of the first three . i now have another bank of three almost where the two ladder racks are .
its nice having a wide flat roof to work with though .
having angle front and rear stops branches etc from hooking under the panels when venturing on tracks etc . yet air can get in the sides and ventilate the panels .

Attachments

• P3090444.JPG
    P3090444.JPG
    254.6 KB · Views: 114

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I bought one of these from Ebay, also use it to clean the roof drain vents:

20160503_211826.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Don't use bare aluminium directly on the roof. Use anodised or stainless steel then you can attach them without screws. Adhesive eventually lets go of bare aluminium because the oxide layer to which it is stuck absorbs water & corrodes the aluminium. You can also get plastic corner mounts that can be stuck to the roof.

OP
OP
Revolvor
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
i fit my panels front to back in banks of threes i only put angle across the front and the rear so i can get a brush under the panels or hose it out
heres a pic of the first three . i now have another bank of three almost where the two ladder racks are .
its nice having a wide flat roof to work with though .
having angle front and rear stops branches etc from hooking under the panels when venturing on tracks etc . yet air can get in the sides and ventilate the panels .
Wow! @vwalan, you could get a Solar Farm on that roof! Thanks for the advice. Because of the constraints of rooflights, TV Aerial etc, I am mounting the panel transversely, but should still have limited access underneath.

Thanks @SMB. This looks like a good idea ..... I will look out for one.
I bought one of these from Ebay, also use it to clean the roof drain vents:
View attachment 104364

Don't use bare aluminium directly on the roof. Use anodised or stainless steel then you can attach them without screws. Adhesive eventually lets go of bare aluminium because the oxide layer to which it is stuck absorbs water & corrodes the aluminium. You can also get plastic corner mounts that can be stuck to the roof.
@tonyidle, Thanks for the input. I am a bit surprised at your comments, as I have never seen this warning before. I am going to start another thread in the "Solar" section, to explore further.

John

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i did consider fitting 9 or twelve panels . but really 6 x80 is enough to power the fridge or a fridge freezer . washing machine etc . i live in it in winter in spain /morocco.
in summer i park next to my house and power the house fridge and large freezer for free . also vacum cleaner and other small items . end sept /oct can be trouble some . but then i just disconect and use house mains .

Reactions: DBK

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I feed an old (soap-laden) microfibre towel underneath my panel and then see-saw it back and forth - washing the towel out when dirty and refreshing the detergent. Mind you, it's easy on my van because I can do this via a large Hekki rooflight.

Like the idea of that 'Basil' brush post above though!

OP
OP
Revolvor
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
In this thread .....
I feed an old (soap-laden) microfibre towel underneath my panel and then see-saw it back and forth - washing the towel out when dirty and refreshing the detergent. Mind you, it's easy on my van because I can do this via a large Hekki rooflight.

Like the idea of that 'Basil' brush post above though!
Thanks for that wingman. I too will be able to access the panel from a large rooflight. Lots of food for thought.
John

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I fitted mine on 4 plastic corners ,easy ,neat,and still on.lol