LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Having got it clean, I would treat it with Farecla Marine Gel Coat Restorer (with wax). I use it once a year and it retains a good shine and inhibits yellowing.
I agree but I wouldn't use it that often as it will gradually erode the Gel coat, after using best to finish with a good quality GRP polish, doesn't need to be a marine one. In Farecla range the marine products are exactly the the same as the car ones, but with a higher price tag. The important thing is with GRP never use anything with silicon in it.

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
sorry for the confusion Martin, here is another pictures of my avatar, it requires very little polishing.
IMG_20150416_172508619_HDR.jpg

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
The corrosive ingredients will bugger whatever finish you put it on. It's for dishes not vehicles. They are your vehicles do what you want but if you hate them Fairy is cheap at Costco....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Fenwicks Motorhome cleaner for me, and a grandson for the roof! When travelling around I use "Greased Lightning" which does an amazing job considering no water is necessary. It's not cheap, but it is good and leaves a lovely carnuba wax finish to repel the weather

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Jeez! Graham that ladder of yours has one hell of a first step!:doh:

Reactions: GJH

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I noticed a Post Office van toady it was a FIAT small van with a high top, and it was so dull it looked like is was cleaned with Jif cleaner.
It was less than three years old, but it is washed regularly and they use TFR and strong mix in pressure washes, all it has done is flatten the paintwork dead. It is too alkaline and used strong it eats the paint surface, it was clean but SOOO dull It would look better shiny but with dirt on.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Fenwicks Motorhome cleaner for me, and a grandson for the roof! When travelling around I use "Greased Lightning" which does an amazing job considering no water is necessary. It's not cheap, but it is good and leaves a lovely carnuba wax finish to repel the weather
Humour me.. Take a cheap garden spray bottle . Fill it with water then add a wee dash of ordinary car shampoo or better still a detailing spray/ fluid.

This will outperform or at least equal any of those expensive products.

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
GWAYGWAY, I call that a matt red. Our postie van is about three years old and it is like a brilliant red, nice'N gleaming, makes me feel ill as someone obviously is really enthusiastic enough to give it a good ole polish:cautious:

Charlie, what a good idea, problem would be though you cannot use two E cloths, one to put it on the other to remove and buff. Showroom Shine (SS) and Grease Lightening (GL) are the only two I am aware of that you can clean a real mucky vehicle (and I mean a crap load of mud, manure and other stuff young persons may want to decorate your vehicle with). My motorbike get's covered in this and more on some ride outs, I just use SS to get it gleaming again:).

Any one live near Broadway! if so her indoors and I will be there later this week, first half will be at Moreton in the Marsh. Our buss passes are up to date, so we will be traveling around, rather being choufferd (dunno if this correct spelling) about:D

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
GWAYGWAY, I call that a matt red. Our postie van is about three years old and it is like a brilliant red, nice'N gleaming, makes me feel ill as someone obviously is really enthusiastic enough to give it a good ole polish:cautious:

Charlie, what a good idea, problem would be though you cannot use two E cloths, one to put it on the other to remove and buff. Showroom Shine (SS) and Grease Lightening (GL) are the only two I am aware of that you can clean a real mucky vehicle (and I mean a crap load of mud, manure and other stuff young persons may want to decorate your vehicle with). My motorbike get's covered in this and more on some ride outs, I just use SS to get it gleaming again:).

:D
Can anyone who loves these waterless wash systems tell me how it doesn't scratch the paintwork as its applied?????????????

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
They do wreck the paint, I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee turned from a deep metallic red to Matt in one session

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I use Caravan cleaner usually bought from Aldi when it is in stock. It is only around £2.99 a bottle and is low sud so rinsing isn't a long winded affair especially with no access to a hose. Has proved pretty good on the black streaks.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Can anyone who loves these waterless wash systems tell me how it doesn't scratch the paintwork as its applied?????????????
I can only speak for Onedrywash (and I don't pretend to understand the science) but it apparently works by the sprayed on solution encapsulating the dirt thus lifting it away from the surface. Use of a microfibre cloth means that the dirt is then soaked into/onto that cloth leaving the surface clean. The second microfibre cloth is then used to buff up the surface.
I've been using it for several years on vans and cars and had no problems.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I know your a fan Graham and this isn't personal. I can see the logic in removing dirt (microfibres are excellent for this) but how can it safely remove grit without damaging the surface. I never use a sponge when cleaning a van for the very same reason

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I know your a fan Graham and this isn't personal. I can see the logic in removing dirt (microfibres are excellent for this) but how can it safely remove grit without damaging the surface. I never use a sponge when cleaning a van for the very same reason
As per my last post Mike. The solution encapsulates the dirt thus lifting it away from the surface and it is then transferred to the cloth.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back