Cleaning the roof made easy (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Fed up of using a large step ladder to clean the roof. It’s either too far from the roof, or if you turn it sideways liable to tip over without somebody holding it and you have to twist your body the whole time.

So bought a cheap ladder stay on Amazon and wrapped a mountain of bubble wrap around the top. It leans against the van side and is very stable. Much easier to clean the roof and gets you away from the sloshing water. With a large brush, had it done in half an hour.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Fed up of using a large step ladder to clean the roof. It’s either too far from the roof, or if you turn it sideways liable to tip over without somebody holding it and you have to twist your body the whole time.

So bought a cheap ladder stay on Amazon and wrapped a mountain of bubble wrap around the top. It leans against the van side and is very stable. Much easier to clean the roof and gets you away from the sloshing water. With a large brush, had it done in half an hour.

View attachment 316830
View attachment 316831

Thank you for a memory jog, I’ve got one hidden since our house move , will make my roof cleaning easier :thanks3:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Roof? Wash? THE roof?

I'm sorry could you please explain?

It's a bit like one funster, actually mentioning "left over wine" Those 3 words caused much confusion among the ranks, several had to be dosed with smelling salts, others suffered abuse with "Packer Wackers" applied to their chest !!! and a future of heart monitors!

You young jokers must realise you have a duty of care to us senior citizens Funsters!!! :doh: :drinks::cheers:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Or just tie an old pillow on the bit of ladder that leans against the side of the van. IE the pillow is between the ladder and the van, works just as well, plus if you get tired half way thro the job you can put the pillow on the roof and have a little nap. Your welcome !

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Or just tie an old pillow on the bit of ladder that leans against the side of the van. IE the pillow is between the ladder and the van, works just as well, plus if you get tired half way thro the job you can put the pillow on the roof and have a little nap. Your welcome !
Her indoors gets upset if I go to sleep on the job.;)

I tried the pillow idea but found it wasn’t a good working distance for me. Got soaked. And unless you put it in a plastic bag it also gets sodden. Maybe I’m using too much water. :LOL:

The ladder stay is also great for cleaning and repairing my upstairs windows. Again a great working distance so you’re not on top of the window.

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Not sure wet bubble wrap and shiny gel coat equals a safe option
Toweling would be a better option
Should have said, I wrapped a waterproof fabric around the roll of bubble wrap, that’s why it looks white in the photo.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sections of 3" pipe lagging taped to the ladder stiles at the appropriate height.
That's just to get on the roof and do the job properly of course.
I'm 17st and have never fallen through a roof or caused a leaking joint.

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Sections of 3" pipe lagging taped to the ladder stiles at the appropriate height.
That's just to get on the roof and do the job properly of course.
I'm 17st and have never fallen through a roof or caused a leaking joint.
The Knaus manual says, ‘standing on the roof is strictly forbidden’. Always do as I’m told, secret of a long marriage. :cool:

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Or you could get one of these, currently on Ebay at a reasonable price.Here

Andrew
I did consider a work platform as well, but these are all quite expensive, if a good alternative.

Mine was just a cheap suggestion to move away slightly from the working surface to give you more room and avoid getting soaked.

Those who want to buy more expensive gear, clamber on the roof or use soggy pillows are fine. There is no right or wrong here.

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Totally agree Makingtrax, just wanted to give people a heads up on what could be a real bargain if someone was considering this type of equipment, and I guess would appear money well spent if you were sat in a wheelchair.

No suggesting any of the methods are necessarily dangerous, but people often make them so by overreaching , rather than descending and moving the ladder.

Plus the fact you don't bounce as well when you get older :)

Andrew

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Totally agree Makingtrax, just wanted to give people a heads up on what could be a real bargain if someone was considering this type of equipment, and I guess would appear money well spent if you were sat in a wheelchair.

No suggesting any of the methods are necessarily dangerous, but people often make them so by overreaching , rather than descending and moving the ladder.

Plus the fact you don't bounce as well when you get older :)

Andrew
Well said. When I used the step ladder it was definitely dangerous when I had it side on. When you reach it wants to tip over.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Or you could get one of these, currently on Ebay at a reasonable price.Here

Andrew
For that price you could get a 6ft x 4ft zip up tower plus four castoring braked wheels.
Comes in handy for cleaning the house gutters/painting the woodwork etc too.

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Makes you wonder why people pay over a grand for them new then doesn't it

Andrew

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I use the duvet off the spare bed between the ladder and the van, the wife hasn't noticed yet!
Added advantage, it’s all washed when you’ve finished.

Went to buy a Duvet the other day and asked the assistant what the best filling was. She said, ‘Get down’, so I hit the deck.

Last edited:

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
But when you can have professional quality for domestic price and the item is lightly used, I know what I go for. Which is why I always buy good quality well equipped second hand vehicles, rather than brand new budget entry level ones, and there's a lot less to go wrong in a ladder. ?

Andrew
Yes, if you want professional quality.
Domestic/DIY quality is adequate for our needs.

Zip up tower

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back