Cleaning Roof Lights? (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
The van is reasonably clean but I may as well use the lock down time and give it thorough clean and polish. Not too difficult in the right weather except I'm not keen on working on the roof. The only thing that has always defeated me is getting the double skinned roof light over the shower clean between the two skins. Any suggestions that work would be helpful before I resort to removing it, disassemble it, and clean it on the bench.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you post a photo of it taken from the inside I can see if it is the same as ours - which can be disconnected from the inside. It then has to be lifted from the top but can subsequently be dismantled.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I can see that I can release the four screws one in each handle and lift the unit out and then separate the two layers but I wanted to avoid that and wondered If anyone had come up with a way of cleaning in situ.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Okay thanks. Plenty of time and good weather and nowhere to go :smiley: I may as well get stuck in.
If it's a few years old the plastic might be brittle so after removing the unit make sure it is nice and warm before you start taking it apart, perhaps by keeping it the house for a few hours or even putting it in a hot bath. :)

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
DBK Mine is not quite the same but pretty close. I guess that as the weather is promised to be good tomorrow I shall do the job whilst pretending that we are actually away from home enjoying another adventure. Keep safe folks.

Roger

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Have an umbrella with up-turned handle handy. If it does rain, you can put that over the hole and hang a weight on it whilst the hole is not covered.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The van is reasonably clean but I may as well use the lock down time and give it thorough clean and polish. Not too difficult in the right weather except I'm not keen on working on the roof. The only thing that has always defeated me is getting the double skinned roof light over the shower clean between the two skins. Any suggestions that work would be helpful before I resort to removing it, disassemble it, and clean it on the bench.
It is MEANT to be opaque????????????????;)

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for the advice all. It is now all sparkling and clean.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Have an umbrella with up-turned handle handy. If it does rain, you can put that over the hole and hang a weight on it whilst the hole is not covered.

Haha, we managed to burn a large hole in the roof of our frame tent (don't ask !!!) - sun umbrella came to the rescue :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back