Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I spent 8 hrs over the weekend cleaning and polishing the van and the only thing I wasn't happy with was the wax residue on the black plastic trim. After a quick internet search I found the solution! Peanut Butter,the smooth variety.
Apparently it's the peanut oil that does the trick,stick some on a cloth rub it in then wipe off the excess.Does a much better job than back to black and some of the trim gell's I've used before.It even managed to restore my bleached gas locker hinges to a nearly new state.Well worth a go restores it a treat,it also has the added bonus of not leaving any chemical residue around the treated area.

Vlad.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
AH!Hah! What about those poor unfortunates with a "Nut Allergy" eh?

Park up at a M/Way Services for a comfort break, and when you come back find a full scale emergency , Para medics by the score, Air Ambulances hovering, thousands filming on their phones ,selfies galore, forensic teams, the Daily Mail!
OH!Boy! are you in trouble with the trendy lefty pc brigade!!!

BUT! 'cause you are a Funster, chris will plea bargain for you (for a small 6 figure sum) and get life reduced to twenty years or so!

You! are! soooo Lucky!

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I spent 8 hrs over the weekend cleaning and polishing the van and the only thing I wasn't happy with was the wax residue on the black plastic trim. After a quick internet search I found the solution! Peanut Butter,the smooth variety.
Apparently it's the peanut oil that does the trick,stick some on a cloth rub it in then wipe off the excess.Does a much better job than back to black and some of the trim gell's I've used before.It even managed to restore my bleached gas locker hinges to a nearly new state.Well worth a go restores it a treat,it also has the added bonus of not leaving any chemical residue around the treated area.

Vlad.
Yeh right Vlad :lipssealed: you'll have dozens of Funsters out with their beloved peanut butter, slapping it all over our plastic parts :rofl:

At least it's pedestrian friendly, " yeh sorry mate I didn't see you, but please have a free lick of my bumper" :rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Well rangitira I don't know about your lot, but up here people don't go around licking vans so I should be safe enough.

Vlad the defiant.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I can confirm that smooth peanut butter does a good job on black trim and about the cheapest you can get

Most of the cheaper back to blacks have a high content of silicone and dont last

Its well known in car detailing circles

bilimanjaro

Free Member
Jan 29, 2014
grimsby
Funster No
MH
autusleeper
Exp
ten years
and ya bumpers go mouldy in the winter..lol...............

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I don't use any chemicals on black plastic

Hairdryer works best restores it to like new

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
All my efforts with Back to Black have turned into Back to Grey Vertical Streaks after a couple of months of outdoor storage.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Still use this. It's brilliant at the job, although you can't spread it on toast in the morning :)
image.jpg

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
That's what I usually use, but can honestly say the peanut butter did a better job!
Been looking a bottles of peanut oil and they're nice and cheap so I'm thinking that's the way to go.

Vlad

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I have to admit that yesterday afternoon (after checking none of the neighbours were about:rolleyes:) I went out and gave this a go - I've got loads of smooth peanut butter after buying some to make my own ant killer bait.

It worked a treat! Isn't greasy, I can't detect any nutty smell, and it worked on the dark grey trim too. I've only done a small area of trim and one handle so will have to get around to the rest at some point as they now look even scruffier in comparison.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Will the next post be I have mice in my van ?:DLike it though ;)

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I have to admit that yesterday afternoon (after checking none of the neighbours were about:rolleyes:) I went out and gave this a go - I've got loads of smooth peanut butter after buying some to make my own ant killer bait.

Would you like to share the details, does it work?

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I don't lie !

Vlad

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Would you like to share the details, does it work?

I found the recipe here.

http://insects.about.com/od/HouseholdPests/a/How-To-Make-And-Use-Homemade-Ant-Baits.htm

I've got a small veg patch at home and have a major problem with ants - worse this year than any other. I usually put up with them but was getting bitten every time I did some weeding. Shop bought ant bait would've cost too much for the area so I looked into homemade ideas.

I put it in a jar with netting over it (to stop birds, frogs and the like from eating it) and laid them around the veg patch. It definitely wasn't 100% effective but it kept the population down a bit.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Tried peanut butter over the weekend, must say, it makes a cracking job of it.

Paul.

I got as far as buying a tub .. but still not had the inclination to try it.. will be interesting to see how long the shine lasts..

I used to use Johnson's baby oil.. and that was also good.. (y)

but Jan moaned about getting dirt on Chaz skin :LOL:

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Tried it and it does a great job. A bit messy though and what you take off with the clean rag tastes awful! Tried peanut oil too and it does the same job without the mess.

Peanut oil - 99p from Lidl.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just got round to trying this today and can only say I'm very impressed... easy to apply and buff up.. window rubbers and roof side rails came up a treat.. but and it's a big but, will it last ..and for how long ?

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Not as impressed as I was initially by the peanut butter.

Its not lasted as well as well as I thought it would in places, used the organic stuff too:(

Paul.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Not as impressed as I was initially by the peanut butter.

Its not lasted as well as well as I thought it would in places, used the organic stuff too:(

Paul.
that's disappointing .. I suspected as much .. but on the plus side, you don't need to wear PPE applying it .. and it smells good ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back