Cleaning black marks from sealant... (1 Viewer)

Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
Hi all.
Just cleaned the motorhome but I can't get the dirty marks out of the sealant around the van. The worst place is where the overcab meets the chassis above the windscreen.

Two pictures show the dirty marks on the sealant I want to get rid off.

img_0232-jpg.155685

Can anyone suggest anything to use? I've tried various different stuff for soapy water to autoglnn liquid...

Thanks
Richard

Attachments

• IMG_0231.JPG
    IMG_0231.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_0232.JPG
    IMG_0232.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 605

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
It's black mould the same as you get round baths / showers where they have used a sealant. There are some products available to remove it BUT they may damage your paintwork so be very careful. The mould gets into the silicon which is why it's so difficult to get it clean. I used Sikaflex to stick the ariel plate to the roof and that has got black mould on it. The only difference being that you cannot see it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Astonish mould cleaner from B&M.... spray on leave for five repeat if necessary. Costs about a quid and it works really well... rinse really well after doing the job leave no product on the surface

Wax the area with whatever car wax you have to help prevent re occurance .

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
You could try H G mouldy remover not the cheapest stuff but does what it says on the tin, we'll bottle actually:D

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I've used Silky with a fair degree of success. Usually with a toothbrush for sealant. You'll need to use a stiff paintbrush for that seam though.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I've got exactly the same problem as the OP.
It is on my list as one of the jobs to tackle this Spring (and to accomplish the job, I've organised to borrow a tower scaffold for either side of the 'van and scaffold boards from another mate to bridge the front of the 'van so that I don't repeat what one previous owner did and stand on the bonnet.) *&^%*.
Question is "On the assumption that I have to remove the sealant, what do I use to replace it> When we had the mould in the shower I used some stuff from Trago that has so far resisted the mould to return. I'm talking years here.

I don't want to use anything that is anything but silky smooth.

Over to you lot.

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
I once used a toothbrush and some diluted Domestos, then rinsed it off.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I've got exactly the same problem as the OP.
It is on my list as one of the jobs to tackle this Spring (and to accomplish the job, I've organised to borrow a tower scaffold for either side of the 'van and scaffold boards from another mate to bridge the front of the 'van so that I don't repeat what one previous owner did and stand on the bonnet.) *&^%*.
Question is "On the assumption that I have to remove the sealant, what do I use to replace it> When we had the mould in the shower I used some stuff from Trago that has so far resisted the mould to return. I'm talking years here.

I don't want to use anything that is anything but silky smooth.

Over to you lot.

I'm with you on the sealant from Trago. From memory,(its that long since I had to replace it in the shower), its called 'Forever White'. I don't know if its available in other colours.

Feb 28, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 175
Exp
For cleaning mould around shower tray, roll toilet tissue ( clean)like a cigarette set along silicone, soak with bleach leave overnight. The tissue holds the bleach on the silicone.
When replacing silicone bear in mind, silicone will not stick to silicone, so you must make sure to remove all trace.
Might be worth patch testing same principle on external silicone, although I did mine with Fenwick m/h cleaner and a small hair brush because it's hard to get to between the windshield and the overhang from the roof.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
just tried charlies recommendation astonish mold remover from b&m amazing result well done charlie and thanks

RVFUN

Free Member
May 7, 2017
Chatham Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Champagne 694
Exp
Newbies to motorhoming - purchasedJune 2017
Would it make the plastic go yellow though? Has it got bleach in ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back