Cleaning alloy wheels (1 Viewer)

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
I have a 2020 Ducato with the standard, heavy chassis alloy wheels. These are a combination of diamond cut and painted areas.

The diamond cut areas are fine, gleaming even, but I am really struggling to clean accumulated brake dust and road film from the painted areas.

So far, I have tried Autoglym wheel cleaner, brake cleaner and concentrated shampoo, together with vigorous scrubbing with a wheel brush. None of these has had a noticeable impact, although multiple applications of the wheel cleaner has made some improvement.

Can anyone suggest a more effective cleaning project.

Jul 25, 2017
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Since2012
I use technique W6 alloy wheel cleaner on my 911 to clean the brake dust fallout off. It is very effective without being to aggressive. Be very careful with diamond cut alloys, very easy to get water under lacquer and get spider Webb’s on polished surface. Don’t use any aggressive cleaners and DO NOT use roadside car wash, they use very aggressive cleaner.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Muc Off. I use it on my bikes and the car and the MH wheels, does a fine job. £20/5ltr, requires a two minute soak then a scrub off - lovely-jubbly.

Coop

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2015
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Highline
Exp
+35 years (Still Learning)
I have used Dragons Breath for some time successfully to remove brake dust from alloy wheels
https://www.valetpro.global/Wheels/Wheel-Cleaners/61-/Dragons-Breath
Just spray it on and wait for the gel to blood red. For tougher build up it sometimes needs a second application plus agitation with a stiff wheel brush.

Jan 22, 2020
East Mids
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I've tried all sorts of cleaners on my car alloys finally found , Bilt-Hamber auto-wheel.
By far the best.
Won Auto Express tests and virtually 83% 5 star reviews, 11% 4 stars on Amazon.

Jan 22, 2020
East Mids
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
First BH. Third DB
All good products but according to Amazon reviews it is fair to say that BH is outselling DB by 3or 4 to 1 with a much higher satisfaction score.

I would try to protect the wheels as best you can with a sealant, although as this thread says they maybe unprotectable, especialy in winter.

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
I use just one product for my wheels on van, classic car chrome spoked wheels, mountain bike and wifes alloy wheels and it only cost 99p a bottle "Elbowgrease" I also use it for many other jobs like cleaning the guttering, and degreasing engines and the BBQ.

OP
OP
B
Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I've decided to give the Dragons Breath a go first, largely because of its gel formulation.
I'll let you know how I get on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back