pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ford have never made a quiet diesel.

The older they get, the louder the knock.....inbuilt knock to remind you you have an agricultural oil burner under the bonnet.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I think I'll have to find another Peugeot dealer first, I would let the [STRIKE]cowboys, mechanics, [/STRIKE] cowboys at Motorline Peugeot, Broad Oak Rd, Canterbury have it to do anything else.
Oops, did I mention who I took it to?
Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Ford have never made a quiet diesel.

The older they get, the louder the knock.....inbuilt knock to remind you you have an agricultural oil burner under the bonnet.

But at least they keep going when they do get old!

Builders, parcel couriers, landscape gardeners, road workers, rail workers, Itinerants, recovery firms, agricultural mechanics, hydraulic hose fitters, plant mechanics, bus mechanics, glazers, electricians, plumbers, roofers, ground workers and roofers swear by their Transits.

UK sales figures speak for themselves! Even Peugeot/Fiat/Citroen want a piece of the action fitting Ford engines now!
Built in the UK too!::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Why not give Glenn or Ian a ring and ask them what Peugot Main Dealer we use 01580 883061

peter

Thans Peter, I might just do that.
Meanwhile, I just had a phone call from the service manager. He is coming to see me this afternoon to discuss what happened at the garage.

Allan

rrusty

Free Member
Dec 4, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
None sold sept 2019
Exp
I have got 2 Peugeot Boxer 2.2 works vans a 2012 & 2013 and both sound rough when starting from cold but are sounding fine after a minute.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Bit of an update. Service manager came round today, full of apologies and ensures me the two "mechanics" have been reprimanded, the one revving the engine is no longer employed by them.
I have an appointment with the chief mechanic on Monday who is going to show me round the workshop while I drop the van off. I will then go down Tuesday and drive it with the mechanic in the van so he can hear the noise.
I've been assured that the engine would not develop full power or the turbo spin up properly if the engine was cold and not under load so there is no chance any damage has been done.
The also offered me a cheap 1st service in June if I want it.
He also informed me my engine would sound like it was "pinking" when accelerating from cold for a short while, something about the ECU not letting the engine develop full power and advancing the ignition to improve combustion when it is cold.
Which is what it sounds like. Not having a petrol engine for so long, I had forgotten about pinking!
All very plausible, but I still want to try another new van to see if it is the same as mine.
I have taken the video down till I get the van back next week.
They are going to clean the engine as well to get rid of the spilt oil

Allan

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
He also informed me my engine would sound like it was "pinking" when accelerating from cold for a short while, something about the ECU not letting the engine develop full power and advancing the ignition to improve combustion when it is cold.

That would be an emissions thing, inject the fuel in early so it has longer to burn. Not heard that before but it makes sense.

You may have to ensure you always park at the top of a hill so you only need to go downhill on light throttle when starting. :Smile:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
You need to report to Peugeot the noise and get a case number in case of later problems in my opinion:thumb:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Already posted this on the Autosleeper forum and am considering contacting Peugeot to see what they say. Just as a bit of background, the engine runs fine, smooth with plenty of power, so, here goes.....
We have a 2013 Autosleeper Broadway FB on a Peugeot base ( 2.2 HDI Euro 5). The engine has always sounded noisy for a spilt second when starting, sounds like a bus as it starts but settles down to idle quietly immediately . I expected it to quiten down as the engine bedded in, but after 5000 miles it's still the same, so I guess that's how it's going to stay.
But when cold, if I start it then drive with anything less than a very light right foot straight away, I get a loud diesel clattering in each gear, the noise usually goes by the time I am in fourth then engine is very quiet and it runs very smoothly, well, as smooth as a Peugeot/ Ford engine can!
I also noticed in December, when it was really cold(-5) I accelerated from cold up a steep hill and the clattering continued for a while, in fact the engine sounded noisy for a good few miles on tick over and acceleration then I suddenly noticed it was quiet again next time we stopped.
Anybody else have the same base vehicle with associated clattering or is it just mine? Just a thought, it may only do this ( apart from the startup) on French diesel, if usually has a full tank of it.
Allan
Just found this thread. I have a new Auto-Sleeper with this engine. It behaves exactly like this and I just wondered if yours is still the same. Mine rattles and clatters when first started from cold. It then settles down and performs well, if perhaps not quite as smoothly as the 2.3 fiat we had before. But its livelier than the fiat.

Is this normal for this engine?

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
So, last month, I took the van in again to the Peugeot dealer and left it overnight. I got there first thing in the morning and actually got to do what I had been requesting for weeks, take the mechanic out in the van just after it had started from cold.
Well, it clattered, just as it always does, but a little quieter this time because it wasn't that cold.
Anyway, the mechanic heard it and said he would contact Peugeot.
I left the van with them and got a call in the afternoon. They had spoken to Peugeot and discussed the noise. They said it was normal and nothing to worry about.
At least Peugeot are now aware of the noise, but if they say its normal, then I suppose it must be.
I also went to the dealer I bought the van from and asked them to start a new van up. It sounded exactly the same as mine, the mechanic said they all do that to some extent, some louder than others, but they have never had a problem with any engines.
So, to answer your question.
Yes, it appears normal for this engine.
The noise disappears after a few hundred yards and is generally very quiet, but these engines are renowned for being a bit throaty when pushed hard, and as you say, is pretty lively, even pulling nearly 4 tons.
Allan

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Thanks.

I will live with it then!
Other than the start up noise from cold it seems to be a good engine, it certainly performs well.

Jeffo

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
No complaints with its performance, pretty nippy and not bad on fuel, I get around 28 mpg and I don't dawdle.
What model Autosleeper have you got? You don't see many of the newer ones around
Allan

Almost forgot, Peugeot also said that the fuel quality will have an effect on the engine noise. We have used French diesel ( usually the cheapest supermarket fuel) for at least the last 8 months. Must fill up with UK fuel and see if that makes a difference.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Our transit 2.2 tdci was rattly when cold. Ford changed the injectors under warranty, it was then nice and quiet.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Sounds like Hydraulic Lifters to me, the oil can drain out of them & they take a few minutes to fill up & warm up before settling down quietly.
Generally they are tappy when cold.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
No complaints with its performance, pretty nippy and not bad on fuel, I get around 28 mpg and I don't dawdle.
What model Autosleeper have you got? You don't see many of the newer ones around
Allan

Almost forgot, Peugeot also said that the fuel quality will have an effect on the engine noise. We have used French diesel ( usually the cheapest supermarket fuel) for at least the last 8 months. Must fill up with UK fuel and see if that makes a difference.
Hi,

We have a Warwick XL van conversion. it is smaller than our previous vans, we decided to downsize mainly to make it easier to drive on smaller country roads.

We like the van very much. It is certainly much more relaxing to drive than previous vans, and we love the rear lounge layout with the ability to open the rear doors on to views.
We have averaged between 29 and 30 mpg so far, which seems quite good to me.

Jeff O

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
As you can see I have a similar Peugeot (though I cannot tell you the engine model but it is a 2.2) and when starting from cold it too sounds like a bag of marbles rolling round the engine but after a short while idling and some gentle acceleration in the lower gears it too settles down and runs as sweet as a nut. In conversation with a neighbour who runs vans for his business, he says his vans are the same. Consequently I treat the engine very gently until it warms up.
Sadly I was unable to watch your dashboard camera link as the link did not work for me even when I copy and paste; but then that's probably my laptop and internet settings.
I will follow your thread with interest.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I have a theory!
I understand that these engines have a chain drive to the camshaft rather than a belt. The 2.3 Fiat I think has a belt. Most people seem to think chain is better because they do not need replacing unlike belts. But belts are meant to be quieter and smoother.

So my theory is that the cold rattle is the timing chain which tightens as the engine warms - maybe there are hydraulic chain tensioners?

Just a guess!

Jeff o

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Hi Jeff, I don't think it's the lifters, chain or anything oil related. The noise sounds like pinking you used to get on older petrol engines when the timing was too advanced. It starts and idles fine, it's just when under load ( accelerating any more than really gently) for the first few gear changes, that you notice the noise. I feel better now other people have the same noise, it seems it may just be a feature of this engine and it's emission control. I have noticed that after almost 9000 miles, the inside of the exhaust pipe is perfectly clean, wipe your finger round it and there isn't a speck of muck. A bit different from any other diesel I have ( and still ) own where you finger would be covered in black soot.
Normanandsue, I drive mine very gently from cold too, we are probably extending the engine life considerably. I took the dashcam video down, the "mechanic" involved had his employment with Peugeot terminated, I didn't see any reason to re post it and have had very good service from a Peugeot since
Off to France tomorrow to put another couple of thousand miles on the clock. I'll try and keep away from the cheaper supermarket fuel to see if I notice any difference.
Allan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back