Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Hi
Just about to post our Hymer654 on ebay finally after the upgrade has been completed .
Slightly terrified as I've never done this before. Any tips? What length of time is it and if a choice, what is the best time period in your opinion?. Am i right in thinking a classified ebay ad is a £75 flat fee? No extra charges ?
Advice much apprecated

Oct 14, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
rollerteam zefiro
Exp
10 + years
I have just put our Auto sleeper Ravenna on the classified ads on Ebay, It cost £14.99 for 28 days.. and no extra charges...............hope this helps

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
An Ebay classified ad for a vehicle is usually £14.99 unless you want extras but you don't need them.

I can't remember how long you can put it on for, the max used to be 30 days but I think there may now be a unending one (possibly called good 'til sold) so you can end it when you've sold it rather than it timing out. Don't whatever you do put it on as an auction as it will cost you a lot in selling fees!

Have a good look at other listings for MHs and see what they do - some are really good, others are abysmal! You need plenty of info on what it is (model, base vehicle, engine, mileage etc) as long as the bits and bobs its got (heater type, etc).

Photos are important so make sure you take 'sensible' ones (not arty-farty types) showing all the areas inside and a couple of the outside - its the inside ones that will 'tempt' people to buy.

Oh, one IMPORTANT tip ... do the advert in Word first and then cut and paste it into Ebay as sometimes Ebay has a hissy fit and loses what you've typed ... very, very annoying when you've spent ages doing it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
upload_2018-1-29_10-30-39.png

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
IF... You wanted to save a bit of hassle and feel a bit more comfortable. Do you have or buy a cheap old phone.
Get a sim card from poundland and use that number just for the incoming calls and to advertise on ebay.

Sold mine on there 5 years ago,
You will get all the messers, Just be read for them. ie emails where they want to buy it but are working away etc.
Genuine people will come, view and take their time to buy...

£14.99 for a classified advert lasting 28 days.. (y)

Good luck..

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
I recently tried giving my phone number by e bay message to seller in order to view items and received e mail from e bay informing me that trying to deal outside e bay contravened their terms and message would not be forwarded.
I thought sale fee on motorhome could be £250 max, anyone know better.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
You have to disguise the phone number eg zero seven 7 ..........four 2 f#ve
etc when emailing prior to sale after sale its not a problem :)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
You have to disguise the phone number eg zero seven 7 ..........four 2 f#ve
etc when emailing prior to sale after sale its not a problem :)
Its different on a classified ad as its a fixed fee for an ad. No commission to ebay. your phone number can be given out through these adverts but not through regular ebay listings.

BTW ebay dont just scan the message for phone numbers they scan for phrases like "call me", "email me" plus many more, they are not stupid and will ban you if you are a repeat offender.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I sold my Geist Silver Spirit on eBay 3 years ago this Feb. I started it at 99p with no reserve Auction on advice from my youngest who deals a lot with eBay.

I timed the 10 day auction to finish on Sunday evening around 19:45 and whilst the jokers did the bidding up to around £1000, the more serious bidders took it up to around £27k. The last 2 miutes took it over £32,000, and I will admit I was worried for a while, I'd been offered £30k in Part Ex, break even would have been around £27500, I was well pleased. More than I paid for it three years earlier.

Cost me £46 in fees

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
I've found a classified ad on Ebay to be by far the most effective and successful (1 x Motorhome & 1 x Caravan). Personally I don't trust anything on Gumtree and only use it as research. Autotrader was the next best, but trailed far behind Ebay.

Do your research on price as so many get it wrong and charge too much. Dealers have an element of VAT in their prices and usually offer some sort of warranty, so it's no use matching them. Don't expect to get your money back for extras (e.g. solar) that's just a bonus selling point. Pay the extra cost of large clear photos all around the outside and everywhere inside. Make sure all the photos are the right way up. Be honest, tell them everything that matters, declare blemishes/faults etc..

When someone comes to view show them round, step back and answer their questions honestly, ignore any derogatory comments and don't get into an argument, that will lose you the sale! Then leave them to talk, look at all the paperwork and sit in the MH for as long as they like (keep hold of the keys!!). Finally a cup of tea/coffee and cake/biscuits will work wonders in convincing them that you're nice enough to trust and you may just have a deal!

In my opinion only a Bank Transfer is safe and secure. Cheques and Bankers Drafts have been known to fail well after the usual 5 working days to clear them.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I sold my Geist Silver Spirit on eBay 3 years ago this Feb. I started it at 99p with no reserve Auction on advice from my youngest who deals a lot with eBay.

I timed the 10 day auction to finish on Sunday evening around 19:45 and whilst the jokers did the bidding up to around £1000, the more serious bidders took it up to around £27k. The last 2 miutes took it over £32,000, and I will admit I was worried for a while, I'd been offered £30k in Part Ex, break even would have been around £27500, I was well pleased. More than I paid for it three years earlier.

Cost me £46 in fees
It worth having a reserve , as you cant always rely on the last minute rush , although that's when it does get going more now as
you don't seem to have the big bidders that put a bid in at the start , its more " snipers" now and that's what I tend to do .

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016

Cost me £46 in fees
This takes a lot of nerve that im.not sure i have! What reason did your youngest give for no reserve?
I didnt want to wait a month though . 10 days would suit me better.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I recently tried giving my phone number by e bay message to seller in order to view items and received e mail from e bay informing me that trying to deal outside e bay contravened their terms and message would not be forwarded.
I thought sale fee on motorhome could be £250 max, anyone know better.
It used to be very high, but has now been capped at £35 - see the info I pasted earlier.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
This takes a lot of nerve that im.not sure i have! What reason did your youngest give for no reserve?
I didnt want to wait a month though . 10 days would suit me better.
I don't think I'd risk a 'no reserve' auction listing, although motor auctions are not binding anyway but whether that's more aimed at the buyer than the seller I don't know. You can do a listing for 10 days if you want but obviously timing is key.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Classified ad, £14.99 for 28 days.
You put your contact no on.
You will get knob heads
Always tell potential buyers, you will meet them at a secure location(pub), then ask them to ring you when they are there, you go meet em, take em to your van.
Good luck
No reserve price, just the price you want.No more fees to pay....

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I agree with @WhiteCheyenneMan eBay classified is the best selling medium far less stressful than an auction listing. Gumtree I found attracted more scammers than eBay & Preloved brought out all the local timewasters.
4 years ago I sold my Hymer Tramp SL on eBay Cassified, put it on at an OTT price to test the water, nearly sold it guy came all the way from Wales to see it but decided he prefered an A Class, original put it up for £39,999 then dropped to £37,500 and sold it for £36,000, 2K more than my bottom line so well pleased. Got a lot of interest after I dropped the price, a lot of buyers wait for a price drop, well it worked for me & only cost £30 for 2 months advertising.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I would never list anything for sale without a reserve, let alone a valuable item - doing so can go horribly wrong!

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
My advice is eBay is great but just be patient.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Classified ad, £14.99 for 28 days.
You put your contact no on.
You will get knob heads
Always tell potential buyers, you will meet them at a secure location(pub), then ask them to ring you when they are there, you go meet em, take em to your van.
Good luck
No reserve price, just the price you want.No more fees to pay....[/QUOTE
@Mr B why meet,at a secure location? Why not at your home?

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
I don’t like giving my home address over the phone.
1. It eliminates the time wasters. Genuine buyers have no problem with this I’ve found.
2. your not sat in waiting for alleged buyer turning up at your home.
3. It’s more secure in my view, as you can put a face and registration to the buyer...

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
What reason did your youngest give for no reserve?

At that time there was a special going on where there was no entry fee for 99p starts, and the reason I went for auction is that some people confine their search to auction only.

My son only looks at auction when purchasing and I saw his point, the people bidding in auction get carried away with the bids sometimes too, I know that from personal experience as the last 15 years of my working life was spent as a group buyer in auctions.

People also contact you to ask if you have a buy it now price, so they're probably looking for a bargain too!

Best of luck.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
At that time there was a special going on where there was no entry fee for 99p starts, and the reason I went for auction is that some people confine their search to auction only.

My son only looks at auction when purchasing and I saw his point, the people bidding in auction get carried away with the bids sometimes too, I know that from personal experience as the last 15 years of my working life was spent as a group buyer in auctions.

People also contact you to ask if you have a buy it now price, so they're probably looking for a bargain too!

Best of luck.

You can put a reserve on and still sell on an auction basis or start the bidding at the minimum price you want.

To start the bidding at 99p means that it could have sold for £1. Why would you take such a risk?

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
You can put a reserve on and still sell on an auction basis or start the bidding at the minimum price you want.

To start the bidding at 99p means that it could have sold for £1. Why would you take such a risk?
Where's the risk it's not a binding contract if it sells for less than you want you just decline to sell all it costs is the fees

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Biggest problem with auction is you have to wait till auction ends although you can close midway with a good reason also prospective buyer might not want to wait or sees something better and cancels his bid a lot of people describe incorrectly as well immaculate or excellent then add it is 10yrs old better description would be good for year.

I have driven miles like others to find vehicle not as described and end up walking away

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Will be ok as a classified listing, a bit worrying when auctioned. I sold my previous van on ebay and got more than i'd originally paid for it. Always take deposits that are unreturnable. I had one guy messing me about and he eventually pulled out but was happy to let me keep the 200 quid deposit. Another guy messed me about, had offered a deposit but I was convinced he'd buy it, he pulled out but I could have got another deposit in my pocket. This might sound mercenary but when someone agrees to buy, you then get other enquiries that you ignore and miss out on. Of course have all receipts and service historys ready to show. Have heating on in the van for every viewing. Make sure your listing states that no dealers are welcome as you will get far too many phone calls. Be wary of people who ask for add on's like new tyres, you may replace or renew items but will they still buy.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
What are the chances of that....... no risk then really

Yes, the chances of that are low but not impossible. The chances of not getting the price you want to achieve are very high. Why take the risk when you don't have to?

If you use eBay it's about getting good feedback scores. If you don't complete the transaction you'd probably not get a second chance to do so as the feedback would obviously be bad and you'd be seen as a time waster or running a scam. Imagine what folk here would say if someone got a 'bargain' paid for it and didn't get the vehicle?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back