Classic UK camp site question with a twist (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Evening all

I am looking for a realistically priced, very close to at least a pub for eating, ideally a town centre within sight, it is for next weekend, although we might save the arrival for Sunday

and there is the twist, well not really a twist more a personal indulgence :whistle:

a week on Tuesday I reach the grand young age of 60, I hadn't realised that some time back I mentioned going away with eldest daughter in her mostly sealed MH o_O, I overlooked that, but worse they booked time off to share it with me :(

So I am now looking for last minute good location with space and not daft money (y)

York would have done but is fully booked, Keswick gets a good mention, we are not needy in terms of amenities, but a pub adjacent (ish) with something else to fairly easily walk to is pretty much up there on the agenda

Funny thing is when eldest daughter googled camp sites with town centre access, MHF came up first, but with masses of waffle and no clear answers, so if nothing else this thread will add to that confusion :LOL:

Don't want to go too far, youngest daughter might like to turn up on the day and she lives near us in north Derbyshire, but they don't mind a few miles drive, limits 150 miles radius from home, S44 6DH if anybody wants to take this more seriously than me :)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Keswick is lovely, with good views and a short walk into the town centre (400metres?) then a little bit further to get to over a dozen pubs.

Google maps says 162 miles, so slightly over your limit.

Gordon

Never been to Bridlington, so cannot comment on facilities but its 87miles.
Helmsley (lovely town) has a nice little aire [surprised to see it's further than Brid!]!

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I'd second Keswick David:xThumb:

what about Castleton?

have you rung York? they might have a couple of pitches

Edit

CAMC Barnard Castle was nice when I was there earlier in the year

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hi David

Shrewsbury showground is cheap easy and close to the town, facilities not great if your daughters van is an old one but she could park in the lee of a shed if the sealants still not doing the job.

Jon

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
Try Ashfield touring park York, nice friendly site bus round the corner to town 5 miles or bus to Hull the other direction, pub round the corner. Heated bathrooms tv lounge

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Chatsworth?

Although it’s more of a village than a town centre that it’s close to. But you’d know that.

Ian

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
David have you looked at Naburn Lock York ?,
There is a nice pub in the village but its about 15 mins walk,
Its 4 miles from York centre, but there is a bus service from camp site entrance to city centre.

Eric

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
there is a brit stop pub just out of york , could look it up if you are interested, bus stop outside the door that takes you direct to the centre of york, do good meals reasonable.

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Southport
Either the cmc site or pleasure land aire
Screenshot_20181209-172431_Maps.jpg

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
David have you looked at Naburn Lock York ?,
There is a nice pub in the village but its about 15 mins walk,
Its 4 miles from York centre, but there is a bus service from camp site entrance to city centre.
I think it’s closed this time of year.
Eric

Richard Stainthorpe

Free Member
Mar 26, 2017
Saltburn by the Sea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware HB
Exp
Since 2014
A few C&MH sites spring to mind. Hawes which has been mentioned earlier. Durham which is just off the A1 for access and has a nearby park and ride into Durham. White Water Park Stockton, the site is great with a pub next door and Teesside Park within walking distance. Wharfdale near Grassington is about 30mins walk to Grassington. The static site next door has a great pub on site and a health leisure club.

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Stayed at Cherry Tree Cottage site the other week.5 Min drive to a park and ride for York,with plenty of Mo/Ho parking before you reached the height barrier .And a pub in village

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Just think of a pub that you know or have seen in the past around fifty miles, ring them ask if you can park in there carpark because your having a birthday meal with your daughter. (y)

Jun 7, 2014
Cleethorpes
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
For CMC sites that still have room next weekend in the Cotwolds and close to the town centre, Broadway, Cirencester and as already mentioned Morton in Marsh. A little closer there is also Warwick Racecourse although the pitches may be on the tarmac apron. Mike

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Another vote for Keswick. Walkable from the C & CC site. Pubs are dog friendly, restaurants are good. The Spoons is in the old Court House which is lovely. You can walk to the stone circle from Keswick too.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
OK why a site ??
We use pubs that allow overnights

We find them on a website / mobile APP called Search for sites put the place you want to go to look for the pint of beer symbol and give the pub a ring job done

Nov 19, 2013
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Sold up!
Exp
since 2013
Got into York today for a few days later this week, it gets booked very quickly but invariably cancellations this time of the year, so worth giving them a ring or look on website.
Otherwise try Wharfedale near Grassington, or possibly Knaresborough, great foodie pub down the road.

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Ifyork is your preferred site, see in next few days to see if a cancellation comes up. Another to add to the mix, if you like the lakes, Bowness, Braithwaite fold, ccc. Nice walk out the back gate, across the road from there is the boat club. Walk further round, you have the lake with a nice walk along the edge into town. We’ve just got back from Southport cmc, with the gales, but the site certainly wasn’t overly busy. A nice restaurant, in bold street is a very nice Thai restaurant, Thai rice. Again walking distance into town.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Cherry Hinton CMC site in the outskirts of Cambridge.

Pub and several restauraunts & takeaways within 5 or 10 min walk, bus stop close for getting into the centre. Very good facilities on site. Just over the road from the site is a big old chalk pit site turned into a nature reserve, good for walking with dogs or small kids.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back