Classic UK camp site question with a twist (1 Viewer)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
OK why a site ??
We use pubs that allow overnights

We find them on a website / mobile APP called Search for sites put the place you want to go to look for the pint of beer symbol and give the pub a ring job done
But if you wanted Keswick there are no pub car parks big enough to fit any van in, let alone Dave and Bev’s.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Trouble with pub options, turning up with 2 of us is not going to work in even less places

Nat is not overly confident yet and wants some hook up, I don't blame her and don't mind joining her (y)

Keswick although unknown to us, and slightly over mileage :whistle: (will have to trim next months retirement travel pot) :) is looking favourite based on replies, £44 for 3 nights also seems very fair to me, will ring tomorrow and see if we can get booked in

All input very much appreciated, deal not yet done I might be back for more help yet

BTW anybody on Keswick site next weekend? or fancy a drink or 2 :whistle: see you there maybe :), we will book Friday to Monday nights (y) if available

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
David, we have used the C&MC site at Poolsbrook several times on our way to and from the Tunnel.
I think it is about 20 min walk or 5 min bike into Staveley.

Poolsbrook is a nice site with good facilites and fairly close to you so you could have a recce beforehand if you wanted to.

Boroughbridge C&CC is also nice with an easy walk into the town.
Barry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Trouble with pub options, turning up with 2 of us is not going to work in even less places

Nat is not overly confident yet and wants some hook up, I don't blame her and don't mind joining her (y)

Keswick although unknown to us, and slightly over mileage :whistle: (will have to trim next months retirement travel pot) :) is looking favourite based on replies, £44 for 3 nights also seems very fair to me, will ring tomorrow and see if we can get booked in

All input very much appreciated, deal not yet done I might be back for more help yet

BTW anybody on Keswick site next weekend? or fancy a drink or 2 :whistle: see you there maybe :), we will book Friday to Monday nights (y) if available
We could very well be tempted .....

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We could very well be tempted .....
Edit: won’t be able to come to Keswick - we have a gig (Get Me!!! A gig!!!) well, it’s more a turn as part of a charity fundraiser, but for us BUGs it’s still a gig!!! Unfortunately it’s on the Friday night in Bristol, so Keswick, as lovely as it is, is too far away to meet up with you David and Bev. Hope you have a lovely weekend away with your girls xx

Brendan

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 25, 2012
Here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
David, as many people have already said Keswick is always a good option.
And again as has been said, if you fancy York the best bet is just to phone the site direct.
I was there at the start of this week, I initially booked for two nights nearly a year ago but really wanted a third night. I checked regularly to see if another was available, but it was always full. A few days before I checked again, and even booking online was no problem.
They do seem to get a lot of cancellations. Every night I was there there were still several empty pitches.
York is a great city any time of year, but even better when the Christmas Market is there.
All that said, I think you have zero chance for two vans a week before Christmas.
Keswick it is then.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
David Keswick is lovely and would meet all your needs just be careful where you book as some sites say Keswick but are a few miles out.
I'd second Hawes as its a lovely little town/village.

I would also Recommend Coniston or Hawkshead in the lakes, we stayed at a CL in the center of Coniston last weekend for £15 a night including EHU. Nothing fancy but a great location, they had a wc and shower too. It's about 300 yards from the center if you go out the back gate and you have a choice of several pubs and restaurants, The Black Bull has its own brewery with some very nice beers. Hawkshead is one of our favourite places and has 2 sites open at this time of year. One site in center of village and the other about 5min walk. Both owned by the same family and cost £22 per night, for a small village it has everything including 6 pubs that all do meals. It has some lovely shops selling local produce including arts and crafts as well as Beatrix potter stuff.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
David if the Keswick site is fully booked, which it often is, then you could try the CCC site known as Windermere. It’s actually closer to Kendal than Windermere but does have its own pub on site and is closer to you. Not walking distance to a town (I,e. Kendal) but if you don’t mind a bit of a hike you can walk to a nearby hamlet that has a pub or 2 and a few shops.

I to would recommend Hawkshead as a location but not stayed on any of the sites.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
How about chester little rodee car park or does it need to be a campsite?

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Keswick, Derwentwater Club site last week, pretty busy for the week we were there, but spaces were there.
IMG_20181204_083134.jpg

Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
Lane side campsite . Hope Derbyshire. Short stroll into village decent pubs , restaurants, chippy , Chinese
Friendly village

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I hope to report back on our weekend in the lakes, first time out with new fridge freezer, but also no oven for the first time. o_O

A lot of eating out is planned, may try a few drinks as well :whistle:

Well you are only 60 once, but I did try that today, I will never again be 59 years and 358 days, I wasn't allowed any special privileges today either

But did sneak a few gins down while Bev was out :)

Retirement dinner on Friday then set off north west on Saturday early (y)

Life is good, free drinks for any funsters I meet in Keswick :) This weekend only (y)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Just back from Knaresborough, lovely site, wasn't full Restaurant bar on site, locallly sourced food, not cheap and cheerful, never had 'fine dining' on a campsite before. It was worth every penny.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back