• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

WANTED Classic petrol motorhome (1 Viewer)

apm101

Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
Bromley, Kent
Funster No
MH
Nothing yet...
Exp
Total newbie
We live within the London Low Emmission Zone, so are needing to find a nice petrol-engined classic motorhome.

Ideal solution would be an 80's Hymer b534 or b544, but I know these are pretty rare. Any A-class would be great, but not necessarily wedded to that. Budget is topping out at a max of £10k.

We are new to this, so something we can get in and use straight away is what we're looking for, but a bit of modernisation would be fine.

This is a bit of an ask, but I am hopeful!!

Many thanks indeed.

Alex.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
There is no problem in the LEZ, which is where my house is, if a diesel vehicle is under 3500kg, and for that money you are not likely to be finding one bigger than that.

Geoff

OP
OP
apm101

apm101

Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
Bromley, Kent
Funster No
MH
Nothing yet...
Exp
Total newbie
Thanks for replying, Geoff.

I don't know if things have changed, but all my research on the latest rules suggests that any diesel pre 2002, between 2500 and 3500kg won't be compliant.

Broken Link Removed

I thought our mh dream was done, but petrol vehicles are exempt.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
There is no problem in the LEZ, which is where my house is, if a diesel vehicle is under 3500kg, and for that money you are not likely to be finding one bigger than that.

Geoff

That's news to me ?
When I registered the vehicle could be diesel but under 2500kgs, if registered before 2002.

Thanks for replying, Geoff.

I don't know if things have changed, but all my research on the latest rules suggests that any diesel pre 2002, between 2500 and 3500kg won't be compliant.

Broken Link Removed

I thought our mh dream was done, but petrol vehicles are exempt.

Quite true. But you have to take into account that TFL are a load of useless ****s - That link has been update slightly since I was unfortunate enough to have to useit. How they expect foreigners to understand anything on it I have no idea.
I actually had to ring them to get some sense.
If you do the LEZ 'checker'
Broken Link Removed

You'll see that pre-2002 & under 2500kgs are exempt. But post 2002 diesel & between 2500kgs & 3500kgs are "affected but comply". But it doesn't state until what year. 2006 seems to ring a bell. You are best ringing them down in Brighton. ( They aren't affected by the LEZ down there .lol ) Be aware though that if it gets technical the people who you speak to on the phone have to consult the people who can actually make decisions & they aren't in the same office.
On that link it never even used to state motorhomes.

P.S. I'm fortunate that mine is foreign & to comply has to be registered. The bonus with that is that I have an actual piece of paper that states the MH with Reg. number etc; complies , but I would certainly be dubious about using a Uk registered one relying on TFl to know what they are doing.:(

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Gentlemen you are quite right about pre-2002 and then the distinction distinction under 2500kg.

My memory did not cover that period.

My MH is 2003 and a Euro 3 engine which is compliant up to 3500kg and I think Euro 3 was until 2006. After that for Euro 4, 5, 6 the rules change.

There were a lot of problems with the contractor operating the system for Tfl, mainly due to their relying on data from DVLA which was often wrong and which they did not have the knowledge to correct. About 2012 Tfl changed contractors and by the time I dealt with them in May 2013 to get assurance my MH is compliant I had no problems.

Just as well as I would not take kindly to being told I could not drive to my own house maybe once a year, when visiting UK.:mad:

Geoff

OP
OP
apm101

apm101

Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
Bromley, Kent
Funster No
MH
Nothing yet...
Exp
Total newbie
Aha! The 2500kg limit means that the Hymer Camp 46 diesel is in scope- so add that to the want list!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
If you could cope with a much smaller camper, there are plenty of petrol Japanese imports around like the Bongo. Many have automatic gearboxes and would also be handy for parking and access around London etc.

OP
OP
apm101

apm101

Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
Bromley, Kent
Funster No
MH
Nothing yet...
Exp
Total newbie
If you could cope with a much smaller camper, there are plenty of petrol Japanese imports around like the Bongo. Many have automatic gearboxes and would also be handy for parking and access around London etc.

Thanks Mike, that's a good thought, but we are looking for something with an 'inside privy' if you know what I mean!

OP
OP
apm101

apm101

Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
Bromley, Kent
Funster No
MH
Nothing yet...
Exp
Total newbie
So here's an interesting one.

I've found a Hymer Camp 55, coachbuilt based on a Fiat Ducato. It should weigh in at 2800kg, which is over the LEZ threshold of 2500kg. When I check the registration, it comes up as compliant, though- I've checked with the LEZ people and this is definitely correct. On checking the MOT status, it comes up as taxed, but not MOT'd- apparently it was imported last year, and they owners haven't got around to registering that.

Now LEZ say it's definitely safe to use in London, and I'm happy to go with that. My concern is that once the MOT is registered, that might somehow amend the LEZ status (although the correct weight shows on the DVSA record). It looks to be ideal for us, but I don't want to risk buying it only to find down the line that we can't keep it at home!

Any thoughts/ experience welcome...

Thanks in advance,

Alex.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
What year is it ? It might be. Problem is no one knows why pre 2002 & diesel need to be under 2500kgs but 2002>2006 (?) can be between 2500-3500kgs. I'd want it in writing which you aren't likely to get being UK registered.:( It is a dilemma.

OP
OP
apm101

apm101

Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
Bromley, Kent
Funster No
MH
Nothing yet...
Exp
Total newbie
What year is it ? It might be. Problem is no one knows why pre 2002 & diesel need to be under 2500kgs but 2002>2006 (?) can be between 2500-3500kgs. I'd want it in writing which you aren't likely to get being UK registered.:( It is a dilemma.

It is a dilemma, thanks! I am naturally reticent to commit our MH fund on this, as it feels a bit risky- I know it shouldn't be exempt, and that will probably keep worrying me! The search goes on...

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Hi @apm101 I don't know how you would rate the privy in out Toyota Granvia ( 2.7L petrol automatic) -it's a portapotty that fits in a dedicated cupboard under the bench seat but it's definitely not outside when I'm using it! But it is definitely a camper van rather than a motor home.

OP
OP
apm101

apm101

Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
Bromley, Kent
Funster No
MH
Nothing yet...
Exp
Total newbie
Sorted! Picked up a 1990 Swift Kon-tiki yesterday. Great condition, and a really good layout for us. And it fits on the drive, and I can still open the garage!! Happy days! Can't wait for our first get-away...

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I have a 1990 Elddis 400. petrol. I have had from new. we go into London no problems . And it has a inside loo. But we hope you find something soon.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back