LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes I have to say 3 burners no oven compressor fridge plastic bathroom sink etc doesn't scream pure quality to me.
I think a lot of "pure quality " is simply attached to a name.
I've had Ford's in better condition than Mercedes I've owned etc

Its a nice van and it may well have cost £200k when new but it is still 2005 technology and I'd say my 2008 frankia has the sane quality but more modern technology.

But like everything it's each to their own.
Of course not everybody wants an oven they are not going to use taking up valuable cupboard space, most top end vans would have a list of options and what we see now as a spec of a used vehicle represents the original owners choice it may or may not suit us but you can't really blame the manufacturer for that, compressor fridge better and more reliable than 3 way absorption for sure but you do need the power to run them and personally that one would not be big enough for us but again it represents the original purchasers choice. I believe that Frankia's are a good well built van(y) never found one that we like but again thats just a personal thing and yes it would have to have the drive wheels at the back so that limits our choice.

Martin

OP
OP
canopus

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
A Luxury class Frankia of t5hat age would have a full cooker, corian worktops in the kitchen and bathroom, full bonded GRP wood free body, better shower, full fridge freezer, decent upholstery and a windscreen you would be able to get a replacement for. Plus it would be £40K

There are windscreens widely available, especially on the Continent. In fact we had ours replaced by Autoglass who sourced the screen from France. Failing that this firm can get hold of anything but unfortunately they dont deal with many insurance companies.

http://www.psvglass.com

PS At least you can have a decent cr4p and a shower in this van without having to be a a flaming contortionist, like you have to in yours Jez :rofl::rofl::rofl: Thats providing the shower tray doesn't crack. :eek:

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
A Luxury class Frankia of t5hat age would have a full cooker, corian worktops in the kitchen and bathroom, full bonded GRP wood free body, better shower, full fridge freezer, decent upholstery and a windscreen you would be able to get a replacement for. Plus it would be £40K

There are windscreens widely available, especially on the Continent. In fact we had ours replaced by Autoglass who sourced the screen from France. Failing that this firm can get hold of anything but unfortunately they dont deal with many insurance companies.

http://www.psvglass.com

PS At least you can have a decent cr4p and a shower in this van without having to be a a flaming contortionist, like you have to in yours Jez :rofl::rofl::rofl: Thats providing the shower tray doesn't crack. :eek:

No problem crapping in ours, never had the shower crack either. Done the big vans and happier with our smaller one. Been to lots of places that our Frankia just wouldn't fit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
canopus

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Seems a bit of a contradiction there Jez, if you don't mind me saying. One minute the big Frankia is the best thing since sliced bread and miles cheaper than the ugly Phoenix, then next breath blowing your trumpet, pardon the pun, for the little PVC's and Frankias not fitting. (n)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Of course not everybody wants an oven they are not going to use taking up valuable cupboard space, most top end vans would have a list of options and what we see now as a spec of a used vehicle represents the original owners choice it may or may not suit us but you can't really blame the manufacturer for that, compressor fridge better and more reliable than 3 way absorption for sure but you do need the power to run them and personally that one would not be big enough for us but again it represents the original purchasers choice. I believe that Frankia's are a good well built van(y) never found one that we like but again thats just a personal thing and yes it would have to have the drive wheels at the back so that limits our choice.

Martin
The thing is I can't for the life of me think why you would need that amount if cupboards and storage in a 2 berth , mine is a 6 berth you would not believe what I'm carrying in this van and still there are cupboards with nothing in them.

The rear wheel drive is something I could get on board with for sure.

Don't get me wrong the van is not all bad I just think for the price of it there's a lot out there I would choose before it.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Seems a bit of a contradiction there Jez, if you don't mind me saying. One minute the big Frankia is the best thing since sliced bread and miles cheaper than the ugly Phoenix, then next breath blowing your trumpet, pardon the pun, for the little PVC's and Frankias not fitting. (n)
To be honest I could say the same as jez. .I love my Frankia it's a great van fully loaded with everything I need in it.

But I plan to downsize it because I travel alone and whilst this is the lap of luxury it also has it's downsides with regards to parking, accessibility etc ....

So I will change it not because it isn't a good van ....but because after 6 months I've realised I don't need one this big or expensive

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
No contradictions. The Frankia is extremely good quality and the spec had everything and so much storage we couldn't fill it. But every van has a compromise somewhere and the large Frankia compromises on not being able to go places a PVC will go. It is also not as nice to drive, I'm not saying it's bad to drive though.
My Globecar isn't built as well as a Frankia and doesn't have all the extras that we barely ever used. But we can eat, drink, sleep and crap in comfort and not have to worry about what we take with as it still has the big fridge, payload and storage we need.
I have made my own furniture (not flatpack) and am from a family of cabinet makers so I'm quite fussy on finish. So when I look at the cabinetry in a 2005 Frankia and a Phoenix I can spot quite easily that the Frankia is finished better.

OP
OP
canopus

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry Jez, but you really are talking out of your crapper. Whilst Frankia are an extremely good marque, they are not in the same league as the big 3 from Schlusselfeld, assuming you know the other two. How you can judge the quality of the Phoenix fit out from merely looking at photos, is beyond me, suffice to say that this vehicle will still be batting when the GC is in the knackers yard.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Sorry Jez, but you really are talking out of your crapper. Whilst Frankia are an extremely good marque, they are not in the same league as the big 3 from Schlusselfeld, assuming you know the other two. How you can judge the quality of the Phoenix fit out from merely looking at photos, is beyond me, suffice to say that this vehicle will still be batting when the GC is in the knackers yard.
Have to say I agree with him ....plastic sinks in the bathroom only 3 burners, the cabinets are the same marine ply finished board . The upholstery is awful. Pretty much all the fittings are the same as used in any other make of motorhome , same windows rooflight alde heating etc
So where is the mysterious quality coming from unless I'm missing the gold plating and cut crystal.

Its still an iveco chassis and engine with a grp box on it.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
If I can see the cheap plastic sink the standard wood cabinetry the cheapo hob and the crap upholstery I have to ask is the rest of the van to the same standard. And thats before I see it in the flesh.
It may be batting but as a Euro 3 / 4 it wont be batting in many areas within a few years

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
You have a Concorde and you even use the sole dealers name, yet you've never seen a Phoenix? Have a butchers here.

Broken Link Removed

Nope never even heard of them - should I have?

What does my owning a Concorde have to do with it?

Oh, and the name.... we live on the South Downs - nothing to do with the dealership.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Nope never even heard of them - should I have?

What does my owning a Concorde have to do with it?

Oh, and the name.... we live on the South Downs - nothing to do with the dealership.
Phoenix are the company that formed in 1998 from a falling out in Concorde the two factories are separated by the cemetery now, I believe that Phoenix are a lot more willing to build and customise a vehicle to customer spec than some of the others are, possibly thats why there is so much criticism of this van upholstery(y) one mans meat another mans poison.

I think Ken knows the history of the two companies better than I do.

@Southdowners if you are going to Concorde open in May you might be able to get a look at Phoenix as well as they are showing a couple of open days 11th 12th May.

Martin

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Yes, you're right... one man's meat is another man's poison!

Just had a look at the new ones and in my view they're old fashioned and lack quality and style.

Oh well... I haven't missed much by knowing nothing about them! :D

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Just had a look at the new ones and in my view they're old fashioned and lack quality and style.

I would agree with the "old fashioned" bit for sure, I can look and find lots of bits I like and some bits I don't, I do think that they are well built though much as Concorde, Morelo, N+B and possibly even Frankia are, they are all different some have more style some have a better choice of layout, back to that old motorhome buzzword "compromise"

Martin

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

I think you would be well advised to go and have a look at a Phoenix before you comment. They can all look good in photos but it doesnt really compare with poking and prodding etc. IMHO a very high quality item that will stand the test of time.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes I'm afraid the height of the windscreen alone, even if everything else was exactly what I wanted , would kill it for me. I love the older Flairs but just cannot get over how tall the windscreen is.
That’s one of the best bits about our Flair, what don’t you ike about big screens, other than the price.

The screens in pre 2007 IVECO based A class vans are big because they don’t have the raised floor in the cab,

Martin

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The screen in my Frankia isn't quite as big as that one or the flair but I find pro's and con's to it.

I like the view of the road when I'm driving it is far superior to the coachbuilt that way.

But it's also like driving so greenhouse it gets really hot in that cab in the sun.

And then during the day unless you keep the blinds closed its like a goldfish bowl with no privacy and ever nosey sod that walks past gawps in which I don't like.

I quite like the size of the screens in the hymer a class but I've taken to having a throw tucked in my drop down bed that I can use to close of the screen so folk can't stare in which defeats the purpose of the big screen.

Like I say pro's and con's

But I reckon the bigger the windscreen those con's would increase

I can just reach the too of mine to clean it without need for a ladder. ...i think that one would definitely need a ladder or stilts

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
A lot of A class vans have a privacy screen that pull up from the bottom and of course pull down screens from the top so you do have options, yes you would need a ladder or a floor polisher like I use to clean the screen these are tall vans because of the chunky chassis and then the height of the double floor.

Martin

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
A lot of A class vans have a privacy screen that pull up from the bottom and of course pull down screens from the top so you do have options, yes you would need a ladder or a floor polisher like I use to clean the screen these are tall vans because of the chunky chassis and then the height of the double floor.

Martin
Yes I've noticed on the Frankia so feel years newer than mine that the cab blinds have changed and now comes from the bottom where mine comes from the top.

But on some occasions I don't want it to be obvious that I'm parking overnight so I don't like leaving the front blinds closed
But that of course is personal and not the manufacturers issue

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Only ever been in 1 Phoenix, a 1998 I think, I have to say it was superb, like stepping into a Tardis, a good live aboard van imho.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
what don’t you ike about big screens, other than the price.
Nothing to do with price it is the sheer size. There is no need for a window of that height to be able to drive the vehicle safely . I saw an older one the other day & from the top of drivers head the 18" above could be done away with.
I would only ever drive it with the sunscreens pulled down to head height,& that'd be in wintertime!
I hate big windows & wouldn't entertain the fad in a car these days of the glass roofs.
Additionally, as @Northernraider says it is the greenhouse effect , especially here.

But on some occasions I don't want it to be obvious that I'm parking overnight so I don't like leaving the front blinds closed

You're in Spain. If they can't park on the shady side, in the shade , then the screens go on the windscreens as soon as they stop, & that's just in a car or van. In mine I put the screens in front & sides & curtain around over just parking if it's sunny

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Nothing to do with price it is the sheer size. There is no need for a window of that height to be able to drive the vehicle safely . I saw an older one the other day & from the top of drivers head the 18" above could be done away with.
I would only ever drive it with the sunscreens pulled down to head height,& that'd be in wintertime!
I hate big windows & wouldn't entertain the fad in a car these days of the glass roofs.
Additionally, as @Northernraider says it is the greenhouse effect , especially here.

You're in Spain. If they can't park on the shady side, in the shade , then the screens go on the windscreens as soon as they stop, & that's just in a car or van. In mine I put the screens in front & sides & curtain around over just parking if it's sunny
Indeed you are right about the height not needed for driving but if it was shorter it would limit the view from inside the van.

Martin

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Indeed you are right about the height not needed for driving but if it was shorter it would limit the view from inside the van.

Martin
That wouldn't bother me as I rarely lift the window blinds anyway.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
The size of the windscreen doesn't dictate the headroom inside.

We found the most headroom limiting factor on A class vehicles is when they are fitted with an overhead bed. We don’t have one now and it makes a big difference in the headroom and also makes the vehicle feel more spacious.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We found the most headroom limiting factor on A class vehicles is when they are fitted with an overhead bed. We don’t have one now and it makes a big difference in the headroom and also makes the vehicle feel more spacious.
Indeed that is on our wish list;)

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back