LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Had a service and new cam belt fitted yesterday. When I went to pick it up the manager told me that they had a newly qualified MOT tester just started with them. He said that at the end of the course they had a discussion about motorhome MOT's and the instructor told him that any motorhome over 3000KG with a garage should have a class 7 MOT. He said that it was because they could be used for carrying commercial goods regardless of what you actually carry in it. Our motorhome has only had one MOT so far - a class 4! He thinks it could be an insurance issue in the event of a claim.
Has anyone else come across this scenario?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Motorhomes are Class 4, sounds like garbage to me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
if the link works it may answer your question..it depends on how strictly you interpret the guidelines..
motorhome-mots
Andy

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
DVLA have replied to questions about change of descriptions on converted vans that even if listed as van with windows rather than motorcaravan on the V5 for MOT its tested as declared usage by owner so if used as motorcaravan its a Class 4 MOT .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'd suggest the garage manager goes back and tells the new tester that he's wrong and he needs to go back to whoever he got the training from and inform the organisation who employs the tutor that he is giving out wrong information.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The difference is between a motorhome and a living van.
It can be a living van at under 3000kgs gvw.
Depends on carrying items ancillary to living. Goods in persuit of trade or business then becomes a living van and subject to class VII MOT. The owner is required to state the use of a garage. (If asked).
Strictly speaking other items can be construed as ancillary to a motorhome.
A complex subject I could go on for ever.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back