CL sites in the UK - how busy are they? (1 Viewer)

quilkin

Free Member
Nov 30, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I added the following question to an associated thread earlier in the week but got no response so perhaps it wasn't relevant there. So apologies for cross-posting a bit.
I'm thinking of joining Camping & Caraving club or Caravan & Motorhome Club because I think I'd enjoy their small 5-vehicle 'CL' sites. But I never book my stays ages in advance; always 2-3 days before or even less. So, outside of highest season (e.g. now, in June) typically how full do these sites get - would I have a problem finding a space in a given area?

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
I added the following question to an associated thread earlier in the week but got no response so perhaps it wasn't relevant there. So apologies for cross-posting a bit.
I'm thinking of joining Camping & Caraving club or Caravan & Motorhome Club because I think I'd enjoy their small 5-vehicle 'CL' sites. But I never book my stays ages in advance; always 2-3 days before or even less. So, outside of highest season (e.g. now, in June) typically how full do these sites get - would I have a problem finding a space in a given area?

It depends on the CL. Some are full every weekend in high season other you will be the only ones on it (

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that

Personally, we have never had a problem getting a place by phoning the day before or the same day. What we have had a problem with is getting hold of someone to answer the phone, as the CL/CS is obviously just a minor sideline to their regular business for most of the owners. Where an email address is provided, it has generally been an easier experience.

We have stayed in some very lovely locations, though.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Personally, we have never had a problem getting a place by phoning the day before or the same day. What we have had a problem with is getting hold of someone to answer the phone, as the CL/CS is obviously just a minor sideline to their regular business for most of the owners. Where an email address is provided, it has generally been an easier experience.

We have stayed in some very lovely locations, though.

We once had this comment from an owner of a site who also had self catering cottages to rent.

"I have number recognition on my phone and, if I don't recognize the number, I don't answer the phone."???

That was a CS just outside Feock, Cornwall.

You couldn't make it up.

Upvote 0

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I found caravan club cl owners rarely there, it's just a sideline for them, cs on the other hand are usually there. We have used many of them over the years and found they very greatly. Some are nicely maintained with showers, toilets etc then there are some in just an unkempt field!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We use cls sometimes I think if you accept you might have to have a couple lined up you wont have a problem.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We never book more than a fewdays in advance and have never had a problem
We're with the C C C so that's cs's.

Upvote 0

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Used to stay on them when in the U.K., was never asked for membership of either club........just as well?
They were just happy to take a paying customer ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
quilkin

quilkin

Free Member
Nov 30, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Used to stay on them when in the U.K., was never asked for membership of either club........just as well?
Interesting, I wonder how much they pay the club for the privelidge of being certified?

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Interesting, I wonder how much they pay the club for the privelidge of being certified?
To be fair we hardly talking millions here. If they have the odd non member now then does it really matter. If you clamp down hard then there could well be a lot less open.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
We have used 2 CLs this week and both have asked for proof of Membership. I think it is getting more common.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Just looked up the information for setting up a CL which includes:

Rule 1: Visitors to your CL must be members of the Caravan and Motorhome Club (1960 Act)
This is a condition of your Certificate, breach of which could also put your cover at risk should a claim arise under your public liability insurance.

Perhaps the CMC is monitoring this a bit more closely these days? They and the CCC probably guard their rights to issue these certificates carefully.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We tend to use CL's in the UK (CMC) - we're also CCC members but have yet to use one of theirs - and have only ever been refused because of the condition of the site after some heavy weather. If we want to be in a particular place we book beforehand, otherwise when we're ready to stop we have a look at the books and give them a call - yes occasionally we have to try a couple of times to get an answer. Facilities vary enormously, but we're quite happy with a field the dog can run about in, a water supply and waste disposal - we don't need and don't see why we should pay for showers, electricity etc. Often we've been on our own.

Sometimes we're asked for membership, sometimes not but it's always offered. We did stay on one which had three fields, one for CMC, one for CCC and a general one - all 5-van "sites" that shared facilities. Not sure how that works with the hierarchy!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
quilkin

quilkin

Free Member
Nov 30, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Thank you for all the useful responses, I'll give it a go and see how I get on.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back