CL No Shows! (1 Viewer)

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
The last 2 CL's we have stayed on reported no shows!
Where we are now, I tried to book for the weekend but was told Saturday was full, so I changed the order that we would go to places (This was the first one we tried) and booked from the Sunday. When we met the owner she told us that one person had not turned up for the Friday/ Saturday, and when she had contacted him, he was on a different CL 20 - 30 miles away in a different county. It appears that not only did she have to turn us down but also had to say no to someone else.
I do hope that no-one on here would let owners down without giving them notice - apart from frustrating the owners, it could stop others of us go where we would like to.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We (Cornish Farm Touring Park) used to, we now do all of our bookings online and single nights have to be paid for.

The odd person moans, but I don't loose sleep over the odd bleat "I won't book with you in case I change my mind" (which is the only reason you wouldn't pay a deposit to secure a booking) but I do end up getting wound up by having to turn business away because some scumbag didn't show or let us know! meaning I'm out of pocket and we've turned someone away who is also inconvenience.

Booked at Rick Steins the other weekend and paid a £50 "I promise to turn up deposit" I didn't bat an eyelid given a mate of mine runs a Pub and looses about 20% of his business by people not showing up and being to pig ignorant to simply call and say "Sorry I can't make it"

These Covid times are hard enough for many business's without having to deal with selfish egocentric idiots and their ugly wives (you know who you are!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We (Cornish Farm Touring Park) used to, we now do all of our bookings online and single nights have to be paid for.

The odd person moans, but I don't loose sleep over the odd bleat "I won't book with you in case I change my mind" (which is the only reason you wouldn't pay a deposit to secure a booking) but I do end up getting wound up by having to turn business away because some scumbag didn't show or let us know! meaning I'm out of pocket and we've turned someone away who is also inconvenience.

Booked at Rick Steins the other weekend and paid a £50 "I promise to turn up deposit" I didn't bat an eyelid given a mate of mine runs a Pub and looses about 20% of his business by people not showing up and being to pig ignorant to simply call and say "Sorry I can't make it"

These Covid times are hard enough for many business's without having to deal with selfish egocentric idiots and their ugly wives (you know who you are!)
I think the ones who don't book if there's a deposit are the same ones who probably wouldn't turn up so if they don't book it's a winner.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
it is just common decency to inform people if you cannot make it. Place I use near Brighton when I rang once to tell them I needed to arrive a day later ,thanked me for letting them know as most jst didn't arrive ??
Me I'd put them on a black list. Or if continual you have to leave card details & no shows get charged in full.

Apr 28, 2021
Fareham, UK
Funster No
MH
Now sold
Exp
Since 2015
I agree with Gus, take card details and charge for no shows or take a deposit. Genuine cases can be refunded at sites discretion but at least you would have some control and the no shows would be penalised.

Nov 6, 2019
Lancaster and Morecambe area
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 120
Exp
Since 2020
it is just common decency to inform people if you cannot make it. Place I use near Brighton when I rang once to tell them I needed to arrive a day later ,thanked me for letting them know as most jst didn't arrive ??
Me I'd put them on a black list. Or if continual you have to leave card details & no shows get charged in full.
Agreed about the common decency.

I can see it would be difficult to implement a black list. Offenders would just go to another CL unless all the CLs shared their black lists.

Perhaps a white list might work. First time booking, pay a deposit. If customer turns up and pays they go onto a white list so they don't need to pay a deposit next time they book?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
So that's 2/5ths of your weekend income lost for good!

Not really as in the summer we overbook. If they all turn up we have room.

In the winter though, the ground is soft and we only have 5 pitches so dare not over book. But rarely are we full in the winter. So we don't lose that much. People book, look at the weather and if its bad they don't bother.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
The last 2 CL's we have stayed on reported no shows!
Where we are now, I tried to book for the weekend but was told Saturday was full, so I changed the order that we would go to places (This was the first one we tried) and booked from the Sunday. When we met the owner she told us that one person had not turned up for the Friday/ Saturday, and when she had contacted him, he was on a different CL 20 - 30 miles away in a different county. It appears that not only did she have to turn us down but also had to say no to someone else.
I do hope that no-one on here would let owners down without giving them notice - apart from frustrating the owners, it could stop others of us go where we would like to.
To me this is the fault of the Club (or the site).
At booking time a deposit should be paid up front (even if it's only £5).

I know there are some people who don't want to do this, but as said, these are typically the people who would be 'No Shows'.
They are also liable to be the people that arrive without warning at 5 sites on a bank holiday weekend and wonder why they get turned away at the gate as the site is full.

I also fully appreciate one of the aspects of camping is the weather.
Booking two weeks ahead is fine, until the forecast of hurricane force winds and monsoon levels of rain is given, at which point you cut your losses.
Also booking for a week but only staying 2 nights (due to the above winds and rain), at which point it's the site owner that cuts their losses.

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp

Got to be a contender for post of the year re idiots and ugly wives , well done Eddy for speaking your mind in these woke times , top man .

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Agree with the comments about either paying a deposit or in full for cl site's, but I think, especially from there one's we've used so far, is that they only really accept cash or cheques, with no means of other payments, one of ours favourites wouldn't even accept a deposit last year, for this year's booking "incase they were no longer here next year" and she didn't mean the site! 😞

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Rude and selfish, fairly typical really.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Any no show should be listed with the CMC. They can then hit you with the same suspension policy for club site no showsbookings

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Trouble is that all these suggested solutions cause inconvenience & extra work for a CL owner.
Do they really need the extra hassle?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I wanted to meet up in my m/h with no. 2 son and DIL in their caravan for 5 nights at a CAMC site last week but could only get a pitch for the first 3 nights and had to leave. I could've stayed after all as one of the wardens told him later that there had been 9 pitches unexpectedly available due to no-shows.

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
It doesn't seem like a great system where you can book multiple CCMH sites months in advance thus blocking anyone else from booking then look at the forecast a few days before and cancel.

We had sites booked in April and May which had to be cancelled but I did it with as much notice as I could once the decision had been made

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
People book, look at the weather and if its bad they don't bother.
Doesn't take much to give you a call though.just ignorance.
Not a no show but refused to stay when we arrived earlier today. I did offer to pay for the 2 booked nights but no way am I prepared to park on the outer fringe of a 'traveller' campsite.
Where was that?

Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
Can’t sites take a card image/reference the way a hotel does for incidentals? Advise customers they’ll be charged in full if they fail to show? Make it part of the booking conditions. We book, we show up, no problem paying a deposit. I feel sorry for parks, pubs, restaurants being hit this way ☹️

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Don't people pay when they book?
Evidently not according to the posts already made in this thread which presumably you haven't read.
Some sites do request a small deposit but very rarely in my experience.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back