CL charges - they have to be kidding. (1 Viewer)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
This afternoon I was browsing a friend's C&MC sites book and noticed one particular CL charging £10 or £12 plus an additional charge for an awning!

That can't be normal, surely?

I thought CSs and CLs were supposed to be basic low cost - spare bit of land on a farm.

I think I'm going to regret taking my 2017 trip in the UK instead of my usual French bimble.
I was half thinking of using CLs and CSs but maybe not.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
£10 to £15 appears to be the going rate. About half the cost of a club site.

A farm is a business - many CL / CS facilities have invested in EHU, water taps and waste facilities. This investment has to pay off.

A friend of ours is investigating opening a CL / CS but the cost of fencing, running a water pipe in and a new septic tank has taken her a bit by surprise.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
This afternoon I was browsing a friend's C&MC sites book and noticed one particular CL charging £10 or £12 plus an additional charge for an awning!

I thought CSs and CLs were supposed to be basic low cost - spare bit of land on a farm.

I think I'm going to regret taking my 2017 trip in the UK instead of my usual French bimble.

That is the good thing about CL's. There are so many of them that you can skip the ones that you don't think suite you. I have never seen anyone charge for an Awning before but I can understand the logic. I have seen caravans stay for 10 days and totally decimate a large square of grass with the ground sheet. This does cost money to sort on occasions.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp

Change your plans go to France, better weather better food better facilities far more motorhome friendly and even paying for crossing the channel still cheaper.
We rarely use our van in the UK anymore.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
At the right time you can get a Premier Inn room for less that the price of a site.
How do you justify charging a lot for an empty field on a CL site?
Have you looked how much it costs to install a septic tank, run armoured cable for the hookups etc etc? Not to mention the cost of electric..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
A friend of ours is investigating opening a CL / CS but the cost of fencing, running a water pipe in and a new septic tank has taken her a bit by surprise.

Have you looked how much it costs to install a septic tank, run armoured cable for the hookups etc etc? Not to mention the cost of electric..

And having it all tested. When there is a private water supply it has to be tested regularly, which isn't cheap.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
At the right time you can get a Premier Inn room for less that the price of a site.

you are sucked in by the adverts as well then, £29 / night yeah right

Sunday night in some black hole maybe, supply and demand applies, we use PI and have paid nearly £100, typically double the £29 they lead with :(

Last edited:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We pay £12 a night incl ehu, it's less than a mile away from Angela's work and suits us just fine. Considering we have had electric heaters running 24/7 since perhaps October I think it's value for money. :)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Last weekend we stayed at a site in Swanage that charged us £15 per night, it has full facilities including an indoor heated pool. Which obviously we used in the morning. There is a CL located a little out of town that has almost no facilities that also charges £15 per night!

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Such places are privately operated by the landowners. They can charge whatever they like and don't have to justify it to anyone.

If you don't like the price then stay somewhere else.

Oh such a friendly fellow you are. Such a joy to have a warm hearted soul like you on this forum.
Grumpy doesn't come into it.

Have a charming weekend and I do hope you feel better in the morning.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Oh such a friendly fellow you are. Such a joy to have a warm hearted soul like you on this forum.

Nothing to do with being grumpy.

CL and CS operators are running businesses not some sort of free public service. It's entirely up to them how much they charge, not up to their customers to dictate to them.

The fact that they have their pricing set at a particular level suggests that enough people are happy with the cost to make the business viable. Whether or not other people think it's too expensive doesn't matter one little bit.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015

To be fair, you started with the grumpiness :whistle:...
What everyone forgets (or ignores the inconvenience) is that England is a small crowded island in comparison to France or Spain. Land prices are notably higher which equates to higher site prices.
Obviously length of stay is a factor but the cost of crossing the channel pays for a fair few nights on sites.
Each to his/her own - beauty of Motorhoming, so much choice of where to go, where to stop and how much you want to pay.
(y)

Deleted User
We are in the UK for a week shortly and thought we might have a change from our usual CS that charges £12.50 a night with good 16amp electric and basic but good shower and toilet, priced up the CC site nearby and they wanted £27.50 a night and in reality the only extra was a heated shower block, guess where we are staying:)

Even worse was a price for the Windermere C&CC site in July for 2 nights came in at around £62 and that's with the old git's discount, won't be going there either, looking for CL's or pub stops, sites in the UK are getting very expensive.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
as a private owner of a holiday let, (not quite the same as a CL but similar in some ways) there are a lot of hidden costs, but a large cost in our case we provide bottled gas that costs £160 to replace, 'greedy' guests can abuse the thermostats and we have had 2 bottles consumed in 7 nights, effectively meaning we open up at a loss

a round the houses way of saying, I agree with Nick, the owners will have had set up and running costs that some would not even realise

Insurance alone which they pay without anybody staying, probably rates. keeping the grass cut just in case, maintaining the gateway, then the aggravation of no shows

You wouldn't get me putting myself out for less than £10 :(

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994

Our neighbours in Spain (I know it's not the UK) have installed all the above and offer free WIFI also for the price of €7 + €3 for leccy. They don't know whether raising their rate will lose them business so it's a dilemma for them. The rate has been the same since 2011 and some people still complain. I expect they pay far more in their home countries for a similar service.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Even worse was a price for the Windermere C&CC site in July for 2 nights came in at around £62 and that's with the old git's discount
Demand+location+short summer season = higher prices.
Can you get a hotel, apartment, or B&B for £30/nt in the heart of Windermere in summer?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
It's a shame more cl site do not hav a hard standing and not EHU as most people have a solar panel on their van or caravan now so would reduce the costs for the site owners.

Last edited:

Deleted User
Demand+location+short summer season = higher prices.
Can you get a hotel, apartment, or B&B for £30/nt in the heart of Windermere in summer?

I see your point but I don't want a hotel, I want a bit of dirt to park my bed on with reasonable facilities. Whilst CC & C&CC sites are always well looked after and clean etc and can be good value out of season their prices are too high for me when I can get the same facilities on a CL for less than half the price.

Obviously their pricing is commercially successful as most of their sites seem to be booked up in the high season, BTW the Windermere site is a long way from Windermere and not even that close to Staveley.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Change your plans go to France, better weather better food better facilities far more motorhome friendly and even paying for crossing the channel still cheaper.
We rarely use our van in the UK anymore.
And as a bonus it leaves those of us who appreciate this lovely country more space. Lol

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
The friend of ours who is looking at opening a CL (basic site,no electric, no showers, no toilet) has the quotes in for the necessary fencing, water, drains and it comes in at just less than £2000. Then there are running costs such as insurance. At £10 a night she would need to have 200 unit nights to recover her capital costs alone.

I wonder how many people would pay £10 a night for a field with no EHU and very basic facilities? The quote to put in hard standing would double her set-up costs. I have a feeling she won't bother and will let the whole field out for grazing again. Less work and income paid up front.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Our neighbours in Spain (I know it's not the UK) have installed all the above and offer free WIFI also for the price of €7 + €3 for leccy. They don't know whether raising their rate will lose them business so it's a dilemma for them. The rate has been the same since 2011 and some people still complain. I expect they pay far more in their home countries for a similar service.
As a matter of interest, is it a 16amp EHU?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The friend of ours who is looking at opening a CL (basic site,no electric, no showers, no toilet) has the quotes in for the necessary fencing, water, drains and it comes in at just less than £2000. Then there are running costs such as insurance. At £10 a night she would need to have 200 unit nights to recover her capital costs alone.

I wonder how many people would pay £10 a night for a field with no EHU and very basic facilities? The quote to put in hard standing would double her set-up costs. I have a feeling she won't bother and will let the whole field out for grazing again. Less work and income paid up front.

Add to that utility bills at commercial rates, insurance and ongoing maintenance costs and the figure will be considerably more than £2000. If she decides to add EHU as well then also add annual test and inspection of that installation.

For anyone considering opening one on land that could have another use, agricultural for example, the likely income from the CL has to be more than they would get from using the land for anything else or it's simply not worth the bother.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
How about I come and stay on your driveway, I will need somewhere to empty my liquid and solid waist, I will need fresh water and electricity, I presume that your drive is in and area of outstanding beauty and you have to let the authorities know and paid any extra taxes etc.
I don't mind paying for my stay, I'll give you a tenner for your trouble....;):)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back