citroen relay red oil light. (2 Viewers)

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Just been over Germany (2007 relay 2.2)and twice the red "oil can" light came on for a few seconds after a long run.Checked oil but full.Could it be the oil too thin when hot?

XRN

Oct 10, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
We are no longer Newbie's.
That is not good, a red light is low oil pressure and will cause terminal damage if engine continues to run with it on. Diesel engines can leak diesel into the oil where the high pressure fuel pump is oil lubricated or fuel injectors are in poor condition. This starts to dilute the oil to the point where it is very thin and can cause the symptoms you see. An increase in oil level on the dipstick is also a clue to fuel dilution of the oil. I would do an oil and filter change first before anything else and see if the problem re-occurs. If you can get a sample of the old oil and let it settle in a glass jar you can see the oil and diesel separate out where contamination is excessive.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Could be serious, or hopefully just an electrical issue, our Mercedes regularly says oil overfull long runs, but always checks perfectly when cold

Good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I agree with XRN here & I'd want to know exactly what is going on. Hopefully its simply an electrical glitch but could potentially be very serious if your oil is being diluted with diesel. The usual end result of this problem (if ignored) is the thinned oil getting past the turbo seals & the engine doing a runaway. The engine revs madly until there is no oil left in the sump & grenades itself, turning off the ignition doesn't stop the problem. Please please please get it checked out.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
I agree with XRN here & I'd want to know exactly what is going on. Hopefully its simply an electrical glitch but could potentially be very serious if your oil is being diluted with diesel. The usual end result of this problem (if ignored) is the thinned oil getting past the turbo seals & the engine doing a runaway. The engine revs madly until there is no oil left in the sump & grenades itself, turning off the ignition doesn't stop the problem. Please please please get it checked out.

:eek::Eeek::eek: oh 'flippin' 'eck, that's a scary vid..
would frighten the beejeezus outa me..

OP
OP
Chris51
Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Thanks for advice .Only came on twice -flashed a few time and did not come on again for several hundred miles then only flashed a few seconds ./did another 250 miles to home with no issues.Have been told it could be "service oil change light" that needs resetting as its a 2.2 transit engine ?Will get it checked.

?

Deleted User
Oil pressure is not the same as oil level. Get it checked.

I never had an oil level light on my kwak it was a pressure switch and i had this very same problem when riding hard and using cheap oil. Oil change to more shit stuff (Tesco) would cure it till the oil went off. Change to a quality brand and it went away.
Best bet is if a pressure switch and you can get it out yourself is drain oil ant take out switch and clean it from all gunk. Mine came apart to cleaning was easy. Replace and do an oil filter change with a quality oil.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Certainly need checking. It is more than possible you have a faulty sensor which is not unusual. As said cheap oil is exactly that. Worth the extra money to get one of the mainline brands such as Texaco, Castrol, Shell etc., personally I favour Texaco. These oils are designed for the modern engine and the extended service periods without degradation.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

If that ever happens simply open the bonnet and block the air intake (use cloth not hands). It will stop very rapidly & potentially save the engine. Standing back & watching several thousand pounds worth of engine wreck itself doesn't seem to be the best option.

OP
OP
Chris51
Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Came to it this morning -started up and oil light was flashing -wouldnt go off .Tried the method of oil change setting(get in close all doors turn ign on and press accel +brake pedals and hold down 30 secs but the only thing to come up on dash was "OIL"for a couple of seconds nothing about resetting oil service .Am going to get pressure switch and fit and mechanic is going to plug in next week.When I was after a van came across a couple with constant oil warning lights flashing and they were driving like that! Will let you know .Thanks Chris.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back