Citroen Dyane`s and an A frame (1 Viewer)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
one other thing that came to me this morning:Doh:

if you have a car and caravan and the car breaks down on a day out holiday is over.

if you tow a toad with the motorhome and the toad breaks down on a day out taxi back to site collect with motorhome and continue holiday.

ok so you wont be able to do some trips that you may have planned but ultimately its not a ruined holiday

What do you do if MH breaks down::bigsmile:

OP
OP
meexi

meexi

Free Member
Feb 6, 2012
Angus,Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B694
Exp
since 2011
My Dyane

Well i have bought this
Dyane1.jpg

This is JoYCe our 1972 Citroen Dyane 4 now all i need is an a frame.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
For the life of me i shall never understand why anyone wold want to tow a car behind a motorhome. Does it not make more sense to buy a car and caravan. I gave up caravaning to enable me to be free and be able to visit more remote destinations and not have the hassle of winding legs down and not having to unhitch every night. BUSBY.

But then you dont have the option of going 'solo' if you want.

a small car allows you to go 'sightseeing' and visiting areas with limited access without having to pack everything back in the motorhome for a days ride out then doing the reverse when you return to the campsite...assuming you still have a pitch on your return.

Thats exactly what a car and caravan do but with less expense and more space.

There are various reasons who some people choose to have a motorhome and toad, rather than a car and caravan, such as:
  • towing a car with a large motorhome is much easier, more stable and less stressful than towing a large caravan with a 'shorter' car - I've never heard of a motorhome turning over on a motorway because the toad made it do so but I've heard of lots of cars being turned over due to the caravan lolling around!
  • you can still use the aires with a motorhome/car combination
  • there are places where taking a 'monster' car (such as would be needed to tow a larger caravan) is not ideal, but a smaller toad would easily go and be parked
  • you still ideally need insurance for a car and caravan combination, so not much different to a motorhome and toad combination
  • some people already have a suitable car to use as a toad, so the cost is not as great as may at first be assumed
  • some people NEED another means of transport when away and also NEED larger accommodation facilities, something which is easier to have with a MH and toad combination
  • you have the option of leaving a toad at home, not possible with a caravan unless you intend to sleep in your car!

We don't tow a car now but have done so in the past when we were members of a microcar club and towed our Bond Mk G all over that place, firstly on a bar (similar set-up to an 'A' frame) then on a custom made trailer - the trailer was by far much easier.

Ultimately it is up to the individuals to decide whether they want a motorhome and toad, or a caravan and car, and we don't have to understand their reasons, just respect them!:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hello Joyce, meet Cecille.

OMG we'll have Scott Jim on next with a pic of his:RollEyes:
Didn't realise 3 had survived:Eeek:
Can they still do 0-60 Km in one day

Last edited:
OP
OP
meexi

meexi

Free Member
Feb 6, 2012
Angus,Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B694
Exp
since 2011
Dyane

Drove it up from Leeds to Dundee 55mph all the way, No radio or music just the screaming 2 cylinder engine::bigsmile:

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Drove it up from Leeds to Dundee 55mph all the way, No radio or music just the screaming 2 cylinder engine::bigsmile:

Mine's a posh, its got a radio :Eeek::Eeek:

Great on the motorway at 55mph.

My mechie fixed an oil leak and fitted electronic ignition on it, when i told him about going on the motorway he said I was a braver man than him :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wife wont go in it so if I am going out without her I take cecille, she gets a run most days.
On the rare days of good weather I roll the roof back really love it when I can do that.

OP
OP
meexi

meexi

Free Member
Feb 6, 2012
Angus,Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B694
Exp
since 2011
My Dyane and A-frame

This is my set up

Angus-20130727-00177.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Angus-20130727-00178.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Just done 1300 miles going from Angus, York, Windsor, Plymouth, Cheltenham, Kendal Then back Home to Angus.:Smile::Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Mine's a posh, its got a radio :Eeek::Eeek:

Great on the motorway at 55mph.

when i told him about going on the motorway he said I was a braver man than him :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sis in law and her husband had a puddle jumper (2CV) when they first married and moved to Valencia, Spain.

they drove it back to the UK, 2 adults plus 2 little kids, to visit family a couple of years running.....:Eeek:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
nothing wrong with either a dyane or a 2cv . great little cars . work really well in the desert .
if stuck put in first gearwith engine running . go behind push and up they go and trickle off . run round jump in and away you go.
for info . find the book .a car for africa .
had several here . put new galvanized chassis under them . specially the portugese buit ones .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
nothing wrong with either a dyane or a 2cv . great little cars . work really well in the desert .
if stuck put in first gearwith engine running . go behind push and up they go and trickle off . run round jump in and away you go.
for info . find the book .a car for africa .
had several here . put new galvanized chassis under them . specially the portugese buit ones .

theres a 2CV club somewhere around Hull who visit various off road centres around the UK....amazing to watch a puddle jumper going over some difficult terrain.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_v-J6RXEI4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_v-J6RXEI4[/ame]

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Sorry to say it but your installation of the A frame mounts on the CV is totaly wrong
The finished item should leave the actual A frame as close to parallel as possible, a slight upward or downward slant might be exceptable, yours is begging to unhitch in an emergency stop sitution
G

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry to say it but your installation of the A frame mounts on the CV is totaly wrong
The finished item should leave the actual A frame as close to parallel as possible, a slight upward or downward slant might be exceptable, yours is begging to unhitch in an emergency stop sitution
G
my thoughts as well Geo.

of course, in an amergency braking situation the back of the motorhome will naturally rise and the front of the toad will be forced down making the angle even more acute, and the A frame cup isnt far off touching the towball neck as it is.

a 6" drop plate would make it safer.

dangerous in my view.

Last edited:
OP
OP
meexi

meexi

Free Member
Feb 6, 2012
Angus,Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B694
Exp
since 2011
My Dyane and A-frame

Yes you two are correct.

MK 2 version will have box section welded to under side of towbar and ball bolted to that. I am also going to lower the back of the Dyane and that will raise the front.

Watch this space.:Smile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi pappa heres a body off new chassis pic . plus a respray . this was my lads . he used to go to brittany and load it up with french beer . sometimes he couldnt get up on the ferry top deck . brilliant car . i had a dyane for awhile. my mrs had a 2cv . .always fancied a meharie .

Attachments

• img078.jpg
    img078.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 19
  • img077.jpg
    img077.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 19

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
Citroen

I had a Citroen Dyane years ago and loved it. 65 mpg, 70mph (going downhill) and I could push it on my own when it broke down which it did quite regularly towards the end of my owning it. Had a radio and a drop roof - the only convertible I've ever owned. I also regularly drove it on the motorway and all through London. Repairs were very expensive I remember but it could be different now.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
car hire

There are various reasons who some people choose to have a motorhome and toad, rather than a car and caravan, such as:
  • towing a car with a large motorhome is much easier, more stable and less stressful than towing a large caravan with a 'shorter' car - I've never heard of a motorhome turning over on a motorway because the toad made it do so but I've heard of lots of cars being turned over due to the caravan lolling around!
  • you can still use the aires with a motorhome/car combination
  • there are places where taking a 'monster' car (such as would be needed to tow a larger caravan) is not ideal, but a smaller toad would easily go and be parked
  • you still ideally need insurance for a car and caravan combination, so not much different to a motorhome and toad combination
  • some people already have a suitable car to use as a toad, so the cost is not as great as may at first be assumed
  • some people NEED another means of transport when away and also NEED larger accommodation facilities, something which is easier to have with a MH and toad combination
  • you have the option of leaving a toad at home, not possible with a caravan unless you intend to sleep in your car!

We don't tow a car now but have done so in the past when we were members of a microcar club and towed our Bond Mk G all over that place, firstly on a bar (similar set-up to an 'A' frame) then on a custom made trailer - the trailer was by far much easier.

Ultimately it is up to the individuals to decide whether they want a motorhome and toad, or a caravan and car, and we don't have to understand their reasons, just respect them!:thumb:

Our way around the problem of having a smaller vehicle to save driving the motorhome into small villages and have the worry of were we are going to park etc.
Just hire a car when you want it, no extra car tax, no tow bar, cost of trailer or toad, cost of car to tow and running cost. Simples

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
or get a fith wheeler or mini artic . covers all the snags .
plus you get cheaper ferries as cars and caravans get a better deal . plus you can change eithr the 5er or the tow unit . its the way forward .another thing is no medical at 70 if you get the right outfit . and big trainweights you can drive on a b+e licence ,higher than most c1+e with a 107 .

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back