Citroen Berlingo Multispace (1 Viewer)

Jan 1, 2018
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Experienced Traveller
I may have my hand forced into purchaaing a vehicle as it appears my main ride may have died. Has anyone tried conveeting a Berlingo?

I am thinking really simple, bed, sink, portaloo type job. I only have myself to suit and I thought I could use it for the commute while converting.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We've got one - it's like driving a barn when the rear seats are out. Tall and flat in the rear, with plenty of scope for conversion I would have thought. They're often used for wheelchair conversions. I use it for carting clobber to markets when I'm running a stall.

The Peugeot Partner and Renault Kangoo are virtually identical in design if you're considering alternatives.

They're easy to drive, comfortable, and you can give them a bit of welly when you need to.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
As an afterthought, the boot flap is big and solid so you might consider some sort of awning arrangement for a bit of extra space at the back if you were parked somewhere more secure like a campsite. Only consideration if you were going abroad is whether to go for diesel or petrol. Petrol will get you into more city centres once emission controls begin to spread. Euro 5 or Euro 6 engines will offer more flexibility too.

I'm thinking along similar lines about a big boxy vehicle that I might be able to do the odd foreign flit with to visit flea markets, but I think I'll make do with a small tent and local campsites. You could certainly kip down for the night in an unconverted Berlingo. I'm inclining more towards a pre-2017 Fiat petrol van with low emissions so I don't get clobbered by the new VED tax regime, ie £30 a year as opposed to £140.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I may have my hand forced into purchaaing a vehicle as it appears my main ride may have died. Has anyone tried conveeting a Berlingo?

I am thinking really simple, bed, sink, portaloo type job. I only have myself to suit and I thought I could use it for the commute while converting.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!
i love my wee citron berlingo i just stick the conversion in and we go scooting or fishing for the weekend used it a lot this year
bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Chugger
Jan 1, 2018
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Experienced Traveller
As an afterthought, the boot flap is big and solid so you might consider some sort of awning arrangement for a bit of extra space at the back if you were parked somewhere more secure like a campsite. Only consideration if you were going abroad is whether to go for diesel or petrol. Petrol will get you into more city centres once emission controls begin to spread. Euro 5 or Euro 6 engines will offer more flexibility too.

I'm thinking along similar lines about a big boxy vehicle that I might be able to do the odd foreign flit with to visit flea markets, but I think I'll make do with a small tent and local campsites. You could certainly kip down for the night in an unconverted Berlingo. I'm inclining more towards a pre-2017 Fiat petrol van with low emissions so I don't get clobbered by the new VED tax regime, ie £30 a year as opposed to £140.

Thabks for the responses. Fortunately, news from the garage is that the car can be repaired relatively cheaply so I won't have my hand forced just yet. Means I can take a bit of time choosing a vehicle for my adventure.

My concern with petrol is that a lot of vehicles seem to have a lot of miles on them and it is my underatanding that petrol engines can carry no way near as many miles as a diesal one.

Do you know whether these emission rules ban certain vehicles or just mean you pay a congestion type charge if you go in certain city centre zones?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Do you know whether these emission rules ban certain vehicles or just mean you pay a congestion type charge if you go in certain city centre zones?

The French Crit'Air sticker system will not classify any diesel vehicle as class 1, which means on high emission days you could be barred from certain city centres. The German Umwelt system applies to lots of cities already but is based on the Euro emission standard of the engine rather than its fuel type. Our current MH is a Euro 6 diesel - it has a green (ie go anywhere) No 4 Umwelt sticker for Germany but only a yellow number 2 Crit'Air sticker for France.

Crit'Air isn't widespread yet but it's already expanding.

OP
OP
Chugger
Jan 1, 2018
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Experienced Traveller
The French Crit'Air sticker system will not classify any diesel vehicle as class 1, which means on high emission days you could be barred from certain city centres. The German Umwelt system applies to lots of cities already but is based on the Euro emission standard of the engine rather than its fuel type. Our current MH is a Euro 6 diesel - it has a green (ie go anywhere) No 4 Umwelt sticker for Germany but only a yellow number 2 Crit'Air sticker for France.

Crit'Air isn't widespread yet but it's already expanding.

Ah, thanks. Looks like it is a case of applying for your 'sticker' in each applicable country that you intend to visit, before departure.

Cheers,

Chugger

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back