Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
During the year,
I have read of people hesitant to stay here. At this moment there are perhaps up to 50 vans parked up. I personally feel very secure at this site but still find it difficult to locate even with Garmin, but always get here in the end.
To be fair, I think the vast (well 99.5%) have no problem with Cite Europe. There have been the odd one or two that have asked about it but there have been a lot more who reassure the doubters that it's safe, as you've found out.

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
We have stayed at Citi Europe 4 times this year, twice with children .. personally we feel very secure especially in the comfort of numerous vehicles.
The Mrs has seen a post yesterday on Facebook about imigrants getting onto vehicle this week .. We personally feel quite secure but is that in the "safety of number" ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we had our most serious check over ever coming home last week on the chunnel, man under MH, swabbed steering wheel, all external lockers checked and inside checked loo and shower, they were only interested in stowaways (or so they said)

personally don't get cite de Europe, would always chose a local aire, but have used it last year and did a drive through on this last return looking for funsters, found larby, but we were on an evening crossing so didn't stop over

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
personally don't get cite de Europe, would always chose a local Aire.
Erm? It is an Aire.
IMHO, it's a far safer and secure place than other Aires within a 10 mile radius, plus shopping centre and easy access to train. I've also stayed at the port at Calais but preferred Cite Europe. Used it for last 10 years, every year and sometimes two or three times a year.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Erm? It is an Aire.
IMHO, it's a far safer and secure place than other Aires within a 10 mile radius, plus shopping centre and easy access to train. I've also stayed at the port at Calais but preferred Cite Europe. Used it for last 10 years, every year and sometimes two or three times a year.

a sort of aire, I would say, the only thing it really has is a sign at the entrance

no water, no dump, no bays big enough for MH's

each to their own, we haven't used it for the last 10 years :)

I guess a lot depends on what time people cross at (y)

Reactions: Pia
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
That's why they've added a bourne at the petrol station at the other side of the shopping centre.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
a sort of aire, I would say, the only thing it really has is a sign at the entrance

You simply park where you feel like ... there are no restrictions making you have to use bays ...

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Having stopped at Wissant once and never again. Cite de Europe is by far a better option.
No residential travelers and shops and restaurants at your door step. Never had a problem or felt unsafe in over 10 years.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007

Well, 'sort of'?
I've been on far worse Aires than Cite Europe.
I agree, no water, no dumping as a lot of Aires are like that. Bays not big enough? Use 2 or even 4 if your so inclined. There isn't a parking restriction as it's obviously a previous car park and now designated for Camping Cars.
Plus, it's very local to the train or ferry. Safe with regular patrols. Convenient for last minute shopping and/or meal. FREE..
When I get that near to getting home after our 6/8 weeks away, it's good to have a wander round and knowing the Moho is safe. We've had many a good chat there.
We do plan to go there on our last day/night and and usually we cross late at night in both directions and use it twice. We are totally aware of no water and no dumping and therefore, on our way in, we make sure we have water and don't need to dump and on our way home, ensure that I have enough water before I get there and no need to dump.
Knowing what facilities are available (or not) at ANY Aire is a great advantage and we are aware.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I'm not looking to rain on anyones parade but while we were briefly in the holding park yesterday morning about 20 or so people ran across from the back of the shops over towards the ET check in with the gendarmes in pursuit. this was about 8.30 am ish yesterday.

Jon

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I'm not looking to rain on anyones parade but while we were briefly in the holding park yesterday morning about 20 or so people ran across from the back of the shops over towards the ET check in with the gendarmes in pursuit. this was about 8.30 am ish yesterday.

Jon
Was it a peter kaye running for the bus/train moment?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007

Jon
I totally accept that MAY happen on occasion but that can happen at any supermarket complex in the UK. It's happened at Trafford Centre and Sheffield (if just remember correctly). However it obviously wasn't Gendarmes.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Was there last week on route back. Must have been 30 odd vans (including laarby). I do not leave the van unattended and wife goes over and does the shopping. Obvious security checks , make sure lockers all locked and I check the underside before driving off.
Was checked over by French soldiers driving into the tunnel. Again every locker opened and check inside.

I took the dog for a walk over by the scrubland and no obvious signs of resent habitation by illegals Police patrolled driving through a couple of times.

Called into the Calais Wine warehouse. Loads of illegals hanging out by the warehouse and many wandering around the industrial estate being chased around by the local police.
Made sure one of use stayed with the van whist sorting out supplies.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Citie de Europe is in Cquelles ( NOT Calais) The aire is in Boulevard du Kent.
Comes up every time on our Garmin.
We stay every time we use the Tunnel and have NEVER had any trouble.

colyboy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Citie de Europe is in Cquelles ( NOT Calais) The aire is in Boulevard du Kent.
Comes up every time on our Garmin.
We stay every time we use the Tunnel and have NEVER had any trouble.

colyboy
No, you're wrong ... its in Coquelles ....:D2

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
We were there yesterday, i took the dog out for a walk just after 8.00am. A few motorhomers were outside thier vans a policeman walking a Alsation. Ddnt see no migrants or evidence they were around.
We always shop together leaving the van unattended, never worried me that someone may break in or stow away.
If i was that worried i think i would give up motorhoming.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Coquelles is in the arrondisement of Calais :D
Oi ... don't you go using big foreign words on here ... it confuses funsters! :LOL:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
It would have been a quiet night here but for the wind.​

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Sorry we did not get the chance to meet other members, even allowing for the huge MHF smiley in our window.
For the members who do not like to leave their van unattended, perhaps an Eddie Vanbitz alarm would deter evil visitors. With so many other vans in the area, it seems very unlikely that anyone would wish to set off the alarm. Perhaps there is an ulterior motive, I also hate shopping.

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
I am envious of those that use it regularly, it is so convenient. I thought that we should give it a try so parked up amongst about 10 other vans in mid-afternoon.
As we walked off towards the shops I saw a migrant walking down the line of vans towards our van so I turned turtle and went back, shouted at him and he ran into the nearby undergrowth.
We hung around for about 20 minutes talking to a fellow van owner and I see the migrant return with a mate. I'm about 100m from my van at this time up near the entrance to the car park. As the migrants walk near my van I jog back to it to find one of them under it and the second getting under it! I shout at them to which they jump up, run about 20m, stop turn and smile at me and then stroll off into the bushes again.
They just saw it as a joke. The fact that i had a sheep dog with me and I'd left his water bowl outside the door didn't bother them at all.
The plan was for us to stay the night and catch an early morning train but the wife was not A Happy Hector so we went down to the Pet Control office and they changed us to a 10pm crossing.

Terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back