Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
10 years after many years tugging
Lots of stories /related tales but this has actually happened to us. On cite d'europe aire last night whilst staying amongst many vans who said they never had problems .... Someone cut locks on our bikes . They were also locked on via Thule heavy duty carrier. Felt the van move around 1am ...... Yes , this am , new trek road bike gone!!!! Left my electric one. No time to report to police / loss of no claims etc! Waiting for shuttle now . Sour end to lovely holiday!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Think positive,
Karma will dictate this Scrotes fate.(y)
He will either break his neck on your bike or overdose on the sale value either way win win:RollEyes:
Terrible thoughts I know but
Its what keeps me sane;)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Thats always a worry of mine. Sorry to hear that. What a sour feeling that must bring. Obviously left the electric one due to charging issues.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Could have happened anywhere.
Bikes on racks are an easy target.
There are some real ba $tards out there.
Really sorry to hear your news.
I had an attempted theft ended up leaving my bike at home :-(

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Same thing happened to us 25 years ago. Parked with our caravan in Calais Aachen's car park and our kids bikes which were clamped on a towbar rack were nicked.

Went back into Aachen and advised them, then bought 2 more as they were cheaper than at home and then went to the Police station. Whilst there someone was brought in in handcuffs and our 5 yr old daughter thought they had caught him. Everytime we went across after that she was looking out for her bike which was very distinctive.

Lots in the Jungle have bikes!!!!!!!!

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
It will probably have joined the many others rolling around the 'Jungle' ... Friends having the misfortune to be born Calaisiens have recognised three of their 4 bikes (which disappeared from their outbuilding earlier in the year) in the hands of some of their uninvited invaders.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
What a shame, a sour end to your holiday too. I was going to stay there tonight along with Khizzie, maybe we'll put a few miles between us and the ferry port before we get our heads down.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Sorry you got robbed... Not nice at all..
Like many others, I have stayed at Cite Europe many times in past 10 + years and never an issue..
Bike thefts around Calais seem to be getting more regular, guess the police would not have had any interest as more things to sort out..

As said could happen anywhere, just maybe a little more chance there... I have had more stuff robbed from outside my house with van and car break in's so your not safe even in your back yard.. Some bugger even stole the mirror guards off my motorhome while it was on the driveway !!!!

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Happened to us in Cheshire a couple of years ago, luckily I disturbed the culprit and he ran off leaving the bikes.

jansellsbond

Free Member
Feb 24, 2016
Dawlish
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Broadway FB
Exp
since 2004
Booked a Santander ticket this time partly to avoid the hassle. When will the authorities realise what it is costing the Calais businesses?

OP
OP
MrsBB

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
Same thing happened to us 25 years ago. Parked with our caravan in Calais Aachen's car park and our kids bikes which were clamped on a towbar rack were nicked.

Went back into Aachen and advised them, then bought 2 more as they were cheaper than at home and then went to the Police station. Whilst there someone was brought in in handcuffs and our 5 yr old daughter thought they had caught him. Everytime we went across after that she was looking out for her bike which was very distinctive.

Lots in the Jungle have bikes!!!!!!!!
They will be king of jungle on their new bike ..... It was an expensive one!!!

OP
OP
MrsBB

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
What a shame, a sour end to your holiday too. I was going to stay there tonight along with Khizzie, maybe we'll put a few miles between us and the ferry port before we get our heads down.
Didn't stay on aire de la baie de Somme cos heard there had been break ins. Used Montreuil going down . Should have used wissant on way back ! Live and learn eh! Have a good hol!

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
We have two "rough" looking bikes on the back of our van, which although we would hate to lose, would not break the bank. (Well, whats left in it anyway)
Mitch.

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
What sort of lock were you using and were they covered up?

We lock each one of ours on with a gold rated 'sold secure' D lock (ÂŁ25 each on Amazon) and have an accessory loop round them linked to the Strikeback alarm.

Thanks for posting as we are overnighting there in a few weeks so I'll keep a look out for bumps in the night!

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Sorry to read this, a real bummer.

The night before we train over we hope to stay at a France Passion site about 8/9 miles from Coquelles.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I feel you pain and anger..

Same happened to us on the Capbreton aire.. cut through very strong security chain, nicked my Trek mountain bike and left the other two cheap bikes on the ground..

It can happen anywhere.. but the risk is significantly higher in a car park or aire..

Lesson.. don't put expensive bikes on the rack.. we now have a garage for our two Kalkoff leccy bikes.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hope you and Roy @Khizzie have a safe and uneventful journey! Enjoy 2 lakes!(y):sun:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
A friend had a very expensive racing bike stolen when they were at a campsite in France.
Campsite owner was horrified.
Luckily they claimed on insurance.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry to hear about your bike at least they didn't break in thank goodness!
We have stayed on Calais harbour aire for the last 6 years and never had trouble , it's just luck I think. Don't let it spoil your memories! (y)

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
I had two Cube MTBs nicked from Annecy a fortnight ago, I used Kryptonite locks and they still had them.
Got a crime number from the local plod and called my insurance, a week later two new bikes arrived and a load of money for all the accessories/pedals etc.

Luckily it was towards the end of the trip so wasn't so bad.
You'll never stop it if they want them.
That's why we pay insurance isn't it.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Sounds to me that all these expensive bikes should be fully insured along with the Rolex:rolleyes:

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
Very sorry to hear about your theft, not a pleasant way to end your holiday. We have three locks on ours and the Strikeback accessory loop connected, also keep them covered at night. Expect they would still get them if they wanted to nick them but hopefully the noise from the alarm might deter them, at least it would wake us up!!!! so we would know something was amiss. Do hope it hasn't spoiled your holiday too much and you manage to get replacements sorted OK.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I had two Cube MTBs nicked from Annecy a fortnight ago, I used Kryptonite locks and they still had them.
Got a crime number from the local plod and called my insurance, a week later two new bikes arrived and a load of money for all the accessories/pedals etc.

Luckily it was towards the end of the trip so wasn't so bad.
You'll never stop it if they want them.
That's why we pay insurance isn't it.

Where were you parked, on the air, campsite,in the road? Like to know as Annecy is on my go to list

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You can get bike alarms for this risk. This is the first I found, there are others. http://www.seton.co.uk/lock-alarm.html

Of course bike loops can be added to some MH alarm systems, such as Outsmart the Thief and Van Bitz.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back