Cirencester Beeches car park ‘traveller’ incursion......again! (1 Viewer)

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
1596266871559.jpeg

Ok. The annual incursion of ‘travellers’ is underway at the Beeches car park in Ciren, with the council making the usual noises about ‘High Court Injunctions’ etc., but, in the meantime, the one decent car park here suitable for motorhome is currently off-limits thanks to our helpful itinerants. My worry is that the Cotswold District Council will (eventually) get so fed-up with this that height barriers will be installed - the local letter writers are already pushing for this - and we’ll potentially lose another good parking spot.....
Are barriers the only answer, or have Funsters come across any other novel solutions for preventing unwanted access? :unsure: :rolleyes:

Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
height barriers will be installed

Cheap and effective (unfortunately). The alternative solution is for the Council to provide a proper transit site (as I think they are legally supposed to do?). Far more expensive and controversial than barriers. I think we can guess which is most likely.

Further research shows that while transits sites are provided, travellers don't use them. However, because they exist, Councils have enhanced powers to move travellers on. This FOI request about such a site is interesting: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/594955/response/1423755/attach/html/2/attachment.pdf.html

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
That's another massive clean up bill use the council tax payers will be paying:frowny:
what i cant understand is why they cant film the trucks going in and out of the site full and empty and then confiscate them ive been stopped twice to have my van checked for rubbish where as they do it openly

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Seeing as the previous thread on travellers got pulled, can I give you an update on the CV19 outbreak on the traveller site in Shropshire?
Apparently the quarantine rules are being violated by the inhabitants and police are monitoring the situation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
Re @ Janine‘s post . I hear the police are taking in food etc but according to the Guardian a traveler spokesman said “ We are being treated like animals “ . No wonder the locals are worried .

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Why don't folk just round them all up, stick them in camps with barbed wire all around and let them all starve to death?

That should leave more space for Funsters to park up and have bbq's....

JJ :cool:

Probably about the most sensible post you have done::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Why don't folk just round them all up, stick them in camps with barbed wire all around and let them all starve to death?

That should leave more space for Funsters to park up and have bbq's....

JJ :cool:

We could always post your place up on Facebook etc and tell them your happy for them to stay.

They could do your drive whilst they are there.
Would that suit you 😉😊

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Seeing as the previous thread on travellers got pulled, can I give you an update on the CV19 outbreak on the traveller site in Shropshire?
Apparently the quarantine rules are being violated by the inhabitants and police are monitoring the situation.
From at least 5 miles away I suspect.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
View attachment 411919
Ok. The annual incursion of ‘travellers’ is underway at the Beeches car park in Ciren, with the council making the usual noises about ‘High Court Injunctions’ etc., but, in the meantime, the one decent car park here suitable for motorhome is currently off-limits thanks to our helpful itinerants. My worry is that the Cotswold District Council will (eventually) get so fed-up with this that height barriers will be installed - the local letter writers are already pushing for this - and we’ll potentially lose another good parking spot.....
Are barriers the only answer, or have Funsters come across any other novel solutions for preventing unwanted access? :unsure: :rolleyes:
When we went to Aachen in Germany. The Irish travellers took a still saw to the barrier and cut it away.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Some have turned up at the playing fields in Charlton Kings.

Also called Beeches, maybe they got lost by some 10 miles 🤷‍♂️

They definitely broke in here by cutting the lock on the barrier.

Personally I would weld the barriers shut with them in there
22C1BB9F-A5B7-4D05-BE6D-777311DF12D3.jpeg

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
When we went to Aachen in Germany. The Irish travellers took a still saw to the barrier and cut it away.
Exactly what I told a jumped up hotel owner that wheel clamped my brand new Toyota Hilux when I was a teenager, my mates dad got the clamp removed before I got back from the hire shop with a Stihl saw 😂

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Fareham (Hants) police have this month, 'quickly', 'removed' travellers from a field in Portchester using Section 61 of the Criminal Justice & Public Order Act 1994. Which makes interesting reading.
Seems something can be done with a little 'local' effort if the will is there?

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Cheap and effective (unfortunately). The alternative solution is for the Council to provide a proper transit site (as I think they are legally supposed to do?). Far more expensive and controversial than barriers. I think we can guess which is most likely.

Further research shows that while transits sites are provided, travellers don't use them. However, because they exist, Councils have enhanced powers to move travellers on. This FOI request about such a site is interesting: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/594955/response/1423755/attach/html/2/attachment.pdf.html

Following on from that FOI link; Travellers don't seem willing to stay on the transit site provided by Brizzle City. It was reported in the local paper that they were unwilling to give their names to the Council as a condition of use. Might be a cultural thing?

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
More li
Following on from that FOI link; Travellers don't seem willing to stay on the transit site provided by Brizzle City. It was reported in the local paper that they were unwilling to give their names to the Council as a condition of use. Might be a cultural thing?
More likely an income tax thing, VED thing, local rates thing .......
Phil

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
More likely a "Tax Thing"

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
That'll be because they have to pay rent on the pitch.
Why pay rent when you can pitch camp in a carpark.

Aug 16, 2018
West Wiltshire
Funster No
Exp
Long time
We used to find a tanker full of pig s**t works wonders at moving them on :devil: .

And if all the folk who use them for driveways, cheap rubbish clearance etc used local known people instead, and paid a proper price for it then they would soon move on, no one to con and no rubbish to dump.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back