Cirencester Beeches car park ‘traveller’ incursion......again! (1 Viewer)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Following on from that FOI link; Travellers don't seem willing to stay on the transit site provided by Brizzle City. It was reported in the local paper that they were unwilling to give their names to the Council as a condition of use. Might be a cultural thing?
The Bristol site was aimed at street dwellers in old caravans and motorhomes, who could be reluctant in some cases to divulge identity. Many are on the streets for a reason. I’m not sure that they had to prove their identity, many just didn’t want to move out of the city, presumably in some cases away from support systems be it drugs, drink or just people they had got to know.
The site wasn’t aimed at the group that we call travellers.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The Bristol site was aimed at street dwellers in old caravans and motorhomes, who could be reluctant in some cases to divulge identity. Many are on the streets for a reason. I’m not sure that they had to prove their identity, many just didn’t want to move out of the city, presumably in some cases away from support systems be it drugs, drink or just people they had got to know.
The site wasn’t aimed at the group that we call travellers.

We might be referring to 2 different sites. This is definitely the Traveller transit site I was referring to:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...425-000-left-derelict-left-unused-decade.html

It had featured in various articles in the Post that google can't seem to find so I had to link to the Mail.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We might be referring to 2 different sites. This is definitely the Traveller transit site I was referring to:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...425-000-left-derelict-left-unused-decade.html

It had featured in various articles in the Post that google can't seem to find so I had to link to the Mail.
Yes, you are correct, I was referring to the temporary Covid on on the Portway. This site in the article is typical of what happens on some Travellers sites. A friend of mine worked for the council and his job was to install the plumbing in the washroom cabins set up for them. As soon as installed, they were always trashed. Difficult to understand isn’t it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH

GirlyVanGirly

Free Member
Nov 21, 2020
Beside the Seaside, beside the Sea! East Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
18 months
Yes, you are correct, I was referring to the temporary Covid on on the Portway. This site in the article is typical of what happens on some Travellers sites. A friend of mine worked for the council and his job was to install the plumbing in the washroom cabins set up for them. As soon as installed, they were always trashed. Difficult to understand isn’t it?
Apparently, the 'travellers' don't use the toilets in their caravans, they consider it dirty... I wonder where they 'go' then? :eek:

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Apparently, the 'travellers' don't use the toilets in their caravans, they consider it dirty... I wonder where they 'go' then? :eek:
Possibly next to where the bears go!!!
There was a local site near by that the "travelling community" used to use, finally the local council "contacted" a local farmer that used to do sub-contractor work for them. The farmer and his extended family turned up one morning predawn and "offered" to help them move their vehicles using the telehandler - bulldozer and the biggest tractor i've ever seen.
The travellers have not been back since!!

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
When we went to Aachen in Germany. The Irish travellers took a still saw to the barrier and cut it away.
We saw them on the aire in Aachen police came around and spoke to them they started shouting at the police who left 9 o’clock next morning 2 van loads of riot police arrived the travellers still laughed at them until one officer stuck his gun up the biggest blokes nose and all riot police lifted their guns they all were gone within 10 minutes flying out the gate

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We saw them on the aire in Aachen police came around and spoke to them they started shouting at the police who left 9 o’clock next morning 2 van loads of riot police arrived the travellers still laughed at them until one officer stuck his gun up the biggest blokes nose and all riot police lifted their guns they all were gone within 10 minutes flying out the gate
When was this ?

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
I must be missing something. Why would anyone other than “travellers” wish to park here?

newcastlemartin

Free Member
Apr 28, 2018
Funster No
A friend stopped for a brew on a trip and had a car tyre and both caravan tyres punctured with a knife. They saw the lad running away and he called back to the effect that they weren't going to put up with travellers in their village any longer. While they were wondering what they could do to get back on the road, a traveller returned from a shopping trip, found out what the problem was, and after a short trip to their current camp site to secure the shopping, returned with some heavy weight tools and a couple of beefy lads and changed all their slashed tyres. It's all life guys and I don't expect to be able to pick and choose what parts I want or can get rid of. 13032021 1225

newcastlemartin

Free Member
Apr 28, 2018
Funster No
A friend stopped for a brew on a trip and had a car tyre and both caravan tyres punctured with a knife. They saw the lad running away and he called back to the effect that they weren't going to put up with travellers in their village any longer. While they were wondering what they could do to get back on the road, a traveller returned from a shopping trip, found out what the problem was, and after a short trip to their current camp site to secure the shopping, returned with some heavy weight tools and a couple of beefy lads and changed all their slashed tyres. It's all life guys and I don't expect to be able to pick and choose what parts I want or can get rid of. 13032021 1225

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back