Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
Had my motorhome just 2 days and at the back i have an external locker, which is under the back l shaped seaten area/ double bed. Noticed that the drop part of the locker behind a covering the wood is all damp.

I have been out tonight with 2 hairdryers trying to dry it out, it worked because water was driping out. I have bought some translucent silicone and filled in the gaps. will this work ? Anybody elsee suffered this problem ?

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Had my motorhome just 2 days and at the back i have an external locker, which is under the back l shaped seaten area/ double bed. Noticed that the drop part of the locker behind a covering the wood is all damp.

I have been out tonight with 2 hairdryers trying to dry it out, it worked because water was driping out. I have bought some translucent silicone and filled in the gaps. will this work ? Anybody elsee suffered this problem ?

You might be sealing damp in.

Damp is a major killer of camping vehicles.

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No

Hi Mark,
Very sorry to hear your problems.
I do not know if this info will be of any help to you however this year I have meet 2 C I owners that have told me of water ingres problems.:Eeek:
They both had water coming in around a window and it was found in both cases that the window frames had not been sealed at all.:Eeek:
Now I know that yours is not a window, but could it be coming from a window and travelling or the locker door frame?
EDIT*******
In both cases it was the Kitchen window!!!!:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
mark e

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
Not as serious as those, windows no problem at all/ No smell of damp inside, ckecked all behind cushions etc. Definatly only the drop down locker. Dry as a bone inside back locker department and i can see what the problem is. no silicone where fibreglass meats metal frame. Have sealed hopfully, no damp left in there !! only time will tell ...

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
Sealing

Not as serious as those, windows no problem at all/ No smell of damp inside, ckecked all behind cushions etc. Definatly only the drop down locker. Dry as a bone inside back locker department and i can see what the problem is. no silicone where fibreglass meats metal frame. Have sealed hopfully, no damp left in there !! only time will tell ...

If you have found it, and I hope you have,:thumb: it seems that C I are not very good at sealing things!:Eeek:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Even if it's nought I would mention it to your dealers just if........................

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just for the record and my opinion only,using heat to dry out a Motorhome is next to useless as all your doing is moving the water about by evaporation it will condense somewhere else, ie stay in the van
Far better to buy a small cheap dehumidifier and keep van on hookup 24/7 you will be amazed at the amount of water you remove
Geo

OP
OP
mark e

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
anybody else tried using a dehumidifier in their van ?

Like i said it's not part of the interior but the drop down door anyway. as i was using the hairdryer the water was dripping out of the flap, so im happy with what ive done. I will though keep an eye on it over the next few weeks as the weather gets colder.
Please keep your comments coming though as this has caused me some concern.
im just thankfull that it was nor inside the van :Eeek::Eeek:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
anybody else tried using a dehumidifier in their van ?

Like i said it's not part of the interior but the drop down door anyway. as i was using the hairdryer the water was dripping out of the flap, so im happy with what ive done. I will though keep an eye on it over the next few weeks as the weather gets colder.
Please keep your comments coming though as this has caused me some concern.
im just thankfull that it was nor inside the van :Eeek::Eeek:

I have used dehumidifiers and heaters and bith are excellent:winky:

It is only since June my van is now in storage:cry:prior to that always plugged in at home with the heating on.

Dehumidifiers are so good it is said that unscrupulous dealers use them prior to showing a damp van:winky:

gfp

Free Member
Dec 29, 2009
Funster No
HI mark e
I am new to this site, so forgive me if you have already solved your prob.
I have a ci riviera 181-year 2002.
It sounds as if the backs of our motorhomes are the same.
If this is so, ours has a wide locker door across the back (hinged to open down) which gives access to under rear u shaped seating.
I have found that because of the length, and the fact that the two retaining locks/catches are so far apart, that, now and again the locker door becomes bowed outwards in the middle, and the catches become loose.
A simple fix is to hold both ends of the door and gently ease the middle section back into shape, and tighten the catches, held on by the center screw. this makes for a mutch better seal along the top of the door.
Hope that this is of some help
glen.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
We permanently keep 3 moisture traps filled with crystals in our motorhome. I have fitted them with velcro strips to stop them moving around. You would be amazed even in a dry van how much moisture there is just from living in the van. We also run a very small dehumidifier when leaving the van on storage on our drive.We never suufer from any form of dampness/stale smells.

tucker_j

Free Member
May 26, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
6 Years
We have a CI Riviera 171 and while the layout is different this may shed some light on your problem.

If you look at the rubber seal which is fitted to the actual locker door, held in place by a grooved outer edge on the locker door frame it does not cover the entire door as gaps are left for the hinges. We get water finding it's way into this gap and then filling up the groove - beneath the outer rubber seal but not actually penetrating into the locker as the inner seal around the door frame prevents this.

However, if left for too long I suspect this would eventually penetrate the locker. I open the locker door every few days during rain to 'drain' the groove out. So far we have been unable to find a more permanent or effective cure.

Funny think is the habitation door is exactly the same design but doesn't suffer from the same problem,

OP
OP
mark e

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
Had my door re- hung, or realigned, new board in the drop down door, new rubbers changed TWICE, from bigger rubbers and back to direct replacement size. £300 pounds later, not as bad, sadly the damage was done as old keeper did not relise the problem.

But now i keep towels placed down acroos the full width of the motorhome and check DAILY.

99 % of the time it is dry but somtimes i think depending on the prevailing wind the towels get slightly damp.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back