Chugger & Shirley's European Adventure (1 Viewer)

Jan 1, 2018
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Experienced Traveller
I have been trying to get Shirley ready to go for departure on Saturday (14th). I plan to use this thread to diarise my movements.

This week has not been ideal - frost damage during the recent cold snap seems to have been more extensive than initially anticipated. I will post details shortly.

In any event, I have made the decision to leave for Europe on Saturday regardless. I will eitger find fixes on the road or have to make do without running water.

OP
OP
Chugger
Jan 1, 2018
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Experienced Traveller
20180407_202651.jpg
20180407_203115.jpg
20180407_202651.jpg
20180407_203115.jpg
20180407_203210.jpg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Good luck, I guess you should be able to buy something like this from say a Decathlon.
-product-675019000.jpg

Not sure we want too much detail about your "movements" if they are the first thing in the morning sort. :) But please post about your travels - and travails on the water front. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
bon-voyage-banner.jpg
Looking forward to reading about your adventures.

OP
OP
Chugger
Jan 1, 2018
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Experienced Traveller
So.... today I got the new filter fitted, and success! Water! This is the state of the old filter:
20180410_224931.jpg

However, moments later it became apparent there was a leak behind the sink in the bathroom. I called around to try and find a replacement tap for the vanity unit as I was told that the frost was likely to have cracked it and that was the cause of the leak. Nowhere seemed able to assist without at least a 2 week wait.

So I decided to investigate myself :pray:

I managed to get the taps out and found that thr frost had caused the hot water pipe to pop off the tap connector. I got this back on, tested, all good there. However, when testing there was ALOT of water coming out the bottom of the van. Upon further inspection BOTH pipes had come off the shower taps. I had to cut the seal and remove the shower panel in order to re-attach them. Sorted, shower panel replaced. Done.

But... I went to turn the pump on to do a final test... and nothing. The pump is now not working at all. Not a sound. I can only think something got wet that shouldn't have. I have dried the van out but now give up. Not chasing it anymore - I will just have to go away without shower or running water facilities.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Have a fabulous adventure, love your positive attitude, I'm sure as you start talking to fellow travelers somewhere along the line you will find a solution to your water problem, the frost this winter played havoc with so many water systems we had to put new fittings on our taps.
Looking forward to following yours and Shirley's travels.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Have a great time with Shirley and that sounds like what may have happened to our van which is now at the dealers being sorted. We were in France 3 weeks ago and no campsites open but now many are you can book on for a warm shower and washing!
Safe travels and hope you find some sun!!:sun:

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
Best of luck on your travels, we are off next week in our 18 yr old van .always carry a toolbox for running repairs etc France and Spain hopefully. Bon voyage

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Happy travels. (y)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Great to see your finally setting off. .Shirley is looking good I think she'll do you proud.
Worse case scenario you might need a new pump for the water.
Looking forward to watching your journey.
Once you get in to Spain you might find some of the places I stayed at helpful ...youll find them in my travel thread.

You may even find an orange seller to work your pump for you :)

On the bottle shower

OP
OP
Chugger
Jan 1, 2018
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Experienced Traveller
Finishing up my packing today. Also went in and bought a data only sim for my myfi. 50gb for £30pm on Vodafone, 30 day rolling contract.

I also picked one of these portable mini speakers up from the Vodafone store for £25. Supprisingly loud, clear and good battery life.

Broken Link Removed search&mk=abc&currencyid=1&ppcadref=761030380|39786774603|pla-324864740544&_cclid=v3_775ee08a-bdd4-5fcd-9dd3-5f4ffcb1cf3b&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8KfZ49202gIVTLftCh3-DAU7EAQYBCABEgLDSvD_BwE

OP
OP
Chugger
Jan 1, 2018
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Experienced Traveller
I have been loading Shirley up today, ready for the off. I thought I was travelling light but now don't feel I am! I am stuck between leaving stuff I might need behind or taking it just in case. I know really I should be leaving stuff behind, but it now doesn't seem so simple!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I have been loading Shirley up today, ready for the off. I thought I was travelling light but now don't feel I am! I am stuck between leaving stuff I might need behind or taking it just in case. I know really I should be leaving stuff behind, but it now doesn't seem so simple!
Try without you can always buy en route if it is absolutely essential!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
My advice leave what you don't really need.
I'm carrying so much crap around with me in this van but I've binned the stuff of low or no value the rest I can't ditch because it's worth money but I wish I'd left it at home

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
wherever you are going , remember there are always shops.

OP
OP
Chugger
Jan 1, 2018
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Experienced Traveller
My advice leave what you don't really need.
I'm carrying so much crap around with me in this van but I've binned the stuff of low or no value the rest I can't ditch because it's worth money but I wish I'd left it at home

How long have you been away? Are you sticking in one place or moving around?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
How long have you been away? Are you sticking in one place or moving around?
I left the UK 12th January in spain and Portugal till at least October. I move every 2 or 3 days .....i brought every item of clothing I own lol ....havent needed 70% of it.
Laundarrettes everywhere and cheap enough to use. Great food so no need to cart crap from UK. Don't know what your planning to pack and take with you but what you can manage with for 2 to 3 weeks is enough to do you fulltime. ....i learned that the hardway.

And if you do need to buy anything here it's generally cheaper ....

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
So.... today I got the new filter fitted, and success! Water! This is the state of the old filter:
View attachment 224335

However, moments later it became apparent there was a leak behind the sink in the bathroom. I called around to try and find a replacement tap for the vanity unit as I was told that the frost was likely to have cracked it and that was the cause of the leak. Nowhere seemed able to assist without at least a 2 week wait.

So I decided to investigate myself :pray:

I managed to get the taps out and found that thr frost had caused the hot water pipe to pop off the tap connector. I got this back on, tested, all good there. However, when testing there was ALOT of water coming out the bottom of the van. Upon further inspection BOTH pipes had come off the shower taps. I had to cut the seal and remove the shower panel in order to re-attach them. Sorted, shower panel replaced. Done.

But... I went to turn the pump on to do a final test... and nothing. The pump is now not working at all. Not a sound. I can only think something got wet that shouldn't have. I have dried the van out but now give up. Not chasing it anymore - I will just have to go away without shower or running water facilities.

Did you get the pump working? Try flicking the switch on and off rapidly - it does stick sometimes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back