LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Before setting off for NEC caravan show I thought I'd put some water in m/h. When I switched on water pump I realised it was not working! "Oh no I thought" (or something along those lines) after all the usual checks. On examination I found the connector onto the pump had become corroded and snapped off. I looked to see if there was a way to remedy this but it had snapped off flush with the plastic on the pump so no. I had visions of having to replace the pump (or even taking it in to be done at £££££££ cost). I removed the pump to get a better look and, eventually, although not obvious at first I was able to deduce that the area where the wires connect could be prised out. In fact it was a microswitch housed in the underside of the pump. I did some internet searching (and a bit of phoning) and found that a replacement could be obtained. The particular microswitch concerned was only in stock at a firm in America. I ordered one and was set to wait for it to arrive. Next day I got an email showing it had been dispatched. Next day it arrived!

I fitted it and put the whole thing back together and connected it up. Pushed the button and it worked. Great. After a bit more fiddling about I had completed a repair which I was fearing might cost hundreds of pounds for a cost of £17 (all but £2.96 of which was tax and p&p from America). And just a couple of days from start to finish, including transatlantic delivery!

I reckon that wasn't bad. (y)

Wyn

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Very well done to you,its a great feeling when you carry out a successful repair(y)
Especailly for us limited D.I.Yers :D

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Awsome stuff, ya cant beat doing stuff yourself, it helps you to get to know your Moho, along with saving some £ and you know whats been done - pretty nifty delivery that was !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
WynandJean

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Awsome stuff, ya cant beat doing stuff yourself, it helps you to get to know your Moho, along with saving some £ and you know whats been done - pretty nifty delivery that was !
Yes. When I was starting to look for it on the internet I was seeing delivery times of a couple of weeks :eek: !

The day after placing my order I got a confirmation email with a tracking link which showed it as despatched that morning (from a place called Theives River :D). I thought I'd subsequently be tracking it each day but it arrived next day so didn't get chance! Very impressed.

Wyn

Last edited:
OP
OP
WynandJean

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
More chuffed........

Went to Stratford M/H Show yesterday as a day visitor. (It seems we are looking at getting a newer van!) Preparing the night before noticed that the Omnistep was VERY sluggish. "Hmmmm....may be better after a run to wake the battery up a bit", I thought.

On arrival at Stratford the step only moves with assistance....not looking good!

Time to return home and step required REAL assistance to close, and the noise from the 'Step Not Closed' alarm could not be stopped. This meant driving all the way home with the piercing sound ringing in our ears. :eek:

Home at last.....turned the ignition off and the sound was silenced but had caused ringing in our ears for the rest of the night! :banghead:

This morning, what a beautiful day to be......

....taking the step off the van to see what the problem might be. Undoing screws, nuts washers etc. that had not moved in the eleven years since it was built :madder:

Got it freed from its position and tried to see what was causing the motor to have such difficulty moving it. Well there was eleven years' worth of muck and rubbish to start with but removing that didn't help. I kept going, trying to help it slide in or out more easily (even had to top up my oil can!) Nothing worked, all it did was give a 'clunk' in response to the rocker switch, so I looked up the cost of a new step online :crying1:.

Resorted to the fact that I was going to have to bite the bullet and get a new one :shake:.

"Well, nothing to lose" I thought and kept going until I was in sight of the motor which drives it. I thought, "If I can try it without any load at least It should narrow down the problem area. Removed the cogs so nothing to drive - 'clunk' just as before. Hmmm, it must actually be a problem with the motor. I turned my attention to the motor itself and lo and behold it was jammed! A little continued attention and HEY! it's freed. Tried the rocker switch and it worked perfectly in both directions :Grin:.

Took all afternoon to get it all back together and mounted on the van but it's now working perfectly :dance2:

Total cost £0.00. Time spent one working day. A few :swear: and as good as new. Yes I'm chuffed.

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
More chuffed........

Went to Stratford M/H Show yesterday as a day visitor. (It seems we are looking at getting a newer van!) Preparing the night before noticed that the Omnistep was VERY sluggish. "Hmmmm....may be better after a run to wake the battery up a bit", I thought.

On arrival at Stratford the step only moves with assistance....not looking good!

Time to return home and step required REAL assistance to close, and the noise from the 'Step Not Closed' alarm could not be stopped. This meant driving all the way home with the piercing sound ringing in our ears. :eek:

Home at last.....turned the ignition off and the sound was silenced but had caused ringing in our ears for the rest of the night! :banghead:

This morning, what a beautiful day to be......

....taking the step off the van to see what the problem might be. Undoing screws, nuts washers etc. that had not moved in the eleven years since it was built :madder:

Got it freed from its position and tried to see what was causing the motor to have such difficulty moving it. Well there was eleven years' worth of muck and rubbish to start with but removing that didn't help. I kept going, trying to help it slide in or out more easily (even had to top up my oil can!) Nothing worked, all it did was give a 'clunk' in response to the rocker switch, so I looked up the cost of a new step online :crying1:.

Resorted to the fact that I was going to have to bite the bullet and get a new one :shake:.

"Well, nothing to lose" I thought and kept going until I was in sight of the motor which drives it. I thought, "If I can try it without any load at least It should narrow down the problem area. Removed the cogs so nothing to drive - 'clunk' just as before. Hmmm, it must actually be a problem with the motor. I turned my attention to the motor itself and lo and behold it was jammed! A little continued attention and HEY! it's freed. Tried the rocker switch and it worked perfectly in both directions :Grin:.

Took all afternoon to get it all back together and mounted on the van but it's now working perfectly :dance2:

Total cost £0.00. Time spent one working day. A few :swear: and as good as new. Yes I'm chuffed.

Wyn
Well done on the hottest day of the year!!

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
I've got a few jobs that need doing while you're on a roll :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun