Christmas travel through Spain (1 Viewer)

dixieland

Free Member
Feb 5, 2015
Herefordshire/Eauze
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Good afternoon everyone,
We are thinking of going from SW France to the Almeria on christmas and boxing day. Can anyone see any issues ? Will fuel stations be open?

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
In France definitely, in Spain probably though I would expect them to be un-personned. Not that it matters anyway, I am English so do not speak Spanish.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
No issues at all.
Motorway fuel stations in Spain are open every day of the year.
Although of course it's a LOT cheaper to find a fuel station away from the motorway if you can.

Christmas day is very quiet on the roads in Spain, most people stay at home with their families. It's Christmas Eve that's busy.
"Boxing Day" isn't a public holiday in Spain, although many office/factory people take a days annual leave to have holiday that day.
Shops, and the big hypermarket stores (with their much cheaper fuel stations) will be open on the 26th December.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
dixieland

dixieland

Free Member
Feb 5, 2015
Herefordshire/Eauze
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
That's good then ok for fuel. Next thing to consider is snow in the Pyrenees. We are thinking of going over to the west of Andorra and then Barcelona and down the East coast. Good idea or no ?

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Tad safer if there is a cold snap in Spain, stay on Med coast, use Autovias and some Autopistas..choose camperstops/campsites..........enjoy the trip, if conditions are mild then inland routes are more interesting, shorter and well provided for regarding camperstops...and free motorways (Autopistas)...Fuel is normally not a problem, roads should be quiet.
Get up to date weather forecasts and plan as you seem fit....ask more if you want...we are just nearing our 19th Christmas in Spain...not had many bad ones.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
One of the best things about Spain !! Christmas starts on Christmas Eve and it’s all over at Midnight on Christmas Day:D unlike the UK where it Starts in October and ends in January :eek:
Xmas goods have been in Spanish supermarkets since early oct,,BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
That's good then ok for fuel. Next thing to consider is snow in the Pyrenees. We are thinking of going over to the west of Andorra and then Barcelona and down the East coast. Good idea or no ?
You will have no bother if you cross into Spain on The Med,,BUSBY.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We're arriving Santander on 20th Dec and are watching the weather forecast closely and it's not looking great at the moment I must say. It seems there are ten major routes closed, four on our journey. :(

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
We're arriving Santander on 20th Dec and are watching the weather forecast closely and it's not looking great at the moment I must say. It seems there are ten major routes closed, four on our journey. :(
Time for it to change,,BUSBY:D:D:D

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
That's my major worry. What do you do when they are closed? Plus do you need winter tyres for traveling this time of year?

Deleted User

Where did you find the traffic reports?

We drove from Santander to Palencia on Thursday afternoon, there was some snow on the high sections but none on the roads, lots of gritters/ploughs about.

The Spanish are excellent at keeping roads open and I doubt that when closed they will be closed for long periods very often, there are large parking areas set aside at strategic places for stranded vehicles.

If you are on your way down you will get there eventually, think of it as part of the holiday:)

More worrying is if you are returning for a ferry, I have to return mid January so would be interested in a good web site for Spanish traffic conditions, a google search has not come up with much.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I have travelled up to Bilbao in heavy snow in previous years,,as Matamoris says its not like UK,,the Spanish keep their roads open,,,,BUSBY,,

Mrs Badknee

Funster
Oct 11, 2014
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Full time
Hi @matamoros, the information was from a Facebook page called N332. It is a Spainish page which gives information about the road conditions covering the whole of Spain. I'm pretty sure there will be a website too.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Extract from N332 page...

Right now, more than ten roads are closed on the north due to the adverse weather conditions.

If you are going to travel north during the weekend, please check the dgt map to find alternative routes.

Have a look on the map, black points mean that the road is closed, red that is difficult to pass through it.
http://infocar.dgt.es/etraffic/

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
That's my major worry. What do you do when they are closed? Plus do you need winter tyres for traveling this time of year?
Park up and turn the heating up :LOL:
France require snow chains but I'm told not Spain :confused:
The roads are very quickly cleared I believe(y)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Over the last 15 years or so, we have travelled all across Western Europe and Scandinavia. Never had an issues with Fuel, anytime inc getting LPG in Norway on Christmas day.

My Wife panicked in Alcampo Supermarket 4pm on Boxing day. It was open Until 8pm.

Spain celebrate 3 Kings. But you will always find fuel.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
If you stick to the major routes, ie motorways and dual carriageways, the Spanish plough teams will be on the ball. If the snow is deep you will be channelled into huge parking areas alongside the roads until they get you moving again.

Spain require snowchains or 4WD for you to continue on untreated roads if the snow is bad but if you're on major routes they'll soon clear them and you'll be on your way.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Park up and turn the heating up :LOL:
France require snow chains but I'm told not Spain :confused:
The roads are very quickly cleared I believe(y)
Not positive but i think snow chains in France are only compulsary in certain areas,,i.e. ski resorts and mountains which are usually the same thing..BUSBY..

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I

Right now, more than ten roads are closed on the north due to the adverse weather conditions.

If you are going to travel north during the weekend, please check the dgt map to find alternative routes.

Have a look on the map, black points mean that the road is closed, red that is difficult to pass through it.
I bet the main road from Bilbao to Burgos and Madrid isn't closed,,BUSBY..

Deleted User

That's a tremendous resource, thanks very much:xThumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back