Christmas in the Van (1 Viewer)

Feb 5, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Both our sons and wives in different parts of the world last year so we took the motorhome to Coniron. Very relaxing few days. - Pre cooked and froze some veg for Christmas dinner and as I am a veggie my other half cooked half a chicken on the bbq. Pudding in slow cooker. All much easier than the usual scramble round the kitchen at home! Back to ‘normal’ this year with 10 - 11 for dinner. Love it!

May 10, 2019
Norfolk UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E-Line
We are heading to Cromer for Christmas. We will be armed with a two foot, battery lit Christmas Tree and some battery powered light strings.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Should have been on the train last night and then a meander to Camping Imperium for Christmas with lights decorations decorations and home (motorhome) cooked lunch. Then New Year in Beni. Sadly fate intervened with a recurrence of heart problems. Going t,o get away somewhere even if only a couple of nights, got appointment 23rd and 27th so will keep busy. Hope every body reading this has a really good time whatever and wherever.

Oct 25, 2019
Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick XL
Exp
Motorhomer since 2019. Previously 10+ years caravanner.
We are staying over christmas in our new Mileo 264 at Old Brick Kilns site near Blakeney in North Norfolk and having Christmas Lunch at Titchwell Manor.
We stayed there two years ago (in our caravan) and it was lovely and cosy snuggled up whilst there was a blizzard outside.
Nothing OTT on decorations. Probable an LED tree.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Every year, except this year because I am having an op tomorrow to correct my Z thumb and so will be in plaster plus recovery for 6 weeks +. :gum:

It's great fun with a likkle tree and battery lights and cards that spend their time on the floor. Cooking a full Christmas lunch in a motorhome is entertaining, you need a bit of planning. I've got a typed up timetable, when to to what, in between a sip of the old lightly chilled. :clap2:

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
We have just had our Xmas weekend with the grandkids, they have now all just left ready for our departure on Friday 13 December (hopefully not unlucky) from Portsmouth - Santander. No idea where we will be yet for Xmas day. It will be where ever it is warmest on the south coast of Spain or Portugal. No Xmas tree but we will have Xmas dinner as always. Been doing this for the last 5 years now. Would rather be away than at home for Xmas :)

Dec 28, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class Adria Vision
Exp
Since 2016
Calpe for us, Indian Restaurant booked for Christmas Day, the wife is doing the works for Boxing Day courtesy of the English Supermarket in Moraira.

May 16, 2019
Rochester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Newbie but not a virgin
Having finally got our PVC Dee and myself are going to visit family in Norfolk before going onto a CL site still in Norfolk for 4 nights over Christmas.
How many of you will be in your motorhomes etc over Christmas ? And if you are will you having decorations and a tree ?
Our escape starts on 20th heading down to lands end to top off a great year of travel as we did John O'groats in September. Looking forward to Longleat festival of lights, Cheddar Gorge, Eden project and carol concert and many more sights inbetween on the way. Pub stopovers and yet to book 24th-26th on a site. Then to my sisters for new years. looking forward to it all! Molly is our MH and she will have a small LED tree and some festive decs inside. Plus the odd bottle or two... or three....

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Sadly this year we will not be spending Christmas in the van :-(

Have had quite a few Christmasses and New Years in the van in Spain and Portugal and enjoyed them all. Can't personally see the point of trying to recreate a UK Christmas dinner, though. Last year on a site in Portugal our British neighbours were distraught when their microwave gave up the ghost on Christmas Eve. "How will we cook the Xmas pud?", they wailed. All was not lost, however, as the obliging campsite owner sourced a microwave oven supplier and sent them off in that direction. They returned with replacement oven and Christmas dinner continued undisturbed.

Meanwhile, next door we were tucking into prawns and squid for our Christmas dinner. In fact all our Christmas dinners in Iberia, I think, have probably consisted of local fish/seafood.

One disappointing Christmas dinner (not in the van) was in Norway. Being big fans of fish and seafood, of which we ate loads in Norway, we were looking forward to enjoying some of the same for our Christmas dinner. Unfortunately it seems that traditional Christmas fare in Noway is ribs (what we still refer to as "bones" i.e. was really looking forward to dinner and all we got was bones). I suppose if you eat fish all year, then "bones" is a treat.

Similarly, a work colleague who married a Dutch woman was disappointed to discover the traditional Christmas dinner he was served up consisted of rabbit and prunes.

Given the one-hour time difference between Spain and Portugal, I thought it would be fun to do New Year on the border, so that we could celebrate two New Years. Unfortunately I didn't pace myself, fell asleep and missed both New Years.

Jonesy_103

Free Member
Jun 16, 2013
WARKS
Funster No
MH
Carado T447
Exp
Since 2013
Staying at an adults only, dog friendly site on the outskirts of Wells, Somerset for the Christmas week, then off to Love2Stay near Shrewsbury for 2 nights visiting family. Our first taste of Christmas in a motorhome! Hoping to walk into Wells with the dogs on Christmas Eve and again on Boxing Day to find a welcoming pub or cafe. No decorations for us though, the artificial tree we put up each year at home won’t fit! Merry Christmas everyone!

Are you staying at Wells Touring Park ? I can highly recommend this site and Wells is a beautiful little town - enjoy !

Nov 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bailey advance 76-4
Exp
It’ll be the first Christmas away from the family for me . Heading down to Beverley park at Paignton for the week. Twinkly lights and a few decorations in the RV but no tree.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
First year in the m/h, going to Aysgarth for 3 days :xThumb: got xmas dinner ready to pick up from Booths, van trimmed up with LED lights and a real tree about 9 inches tall (ooo er)
You might find us at Aysgarth, we won’t know until we have the engine warning light checked out on 17th.

Nov 30, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B594PL
Exp
Since 2010
Don't miss sche
We're off to Germany for Christmas, departing 20th, got a hotel restaurant booked for the 25th (evening) in Rothenburg en de Taub to have a break from van cuisine, then we are heading south towards Schwangau to visit the Neuschwanstein Castle, slowly filtering back up through Luxembourg towards Coquelles for the shuttle home on 3rd Jan. All weather dependant upon where we end up but that's all just part of the fun :) And yup, there's dec's in the Moho :xgrin:
Don't miss schwabisch
hall. Beautiful town and a free aire within walking distance.

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
We are staying over christmas in our new Mileo 264 at Old Brick Kilns site near Blakeney in North Norfolk and having Christmas Lunch at Titchwell Manor.
We stayed there two years ago (in our caravan) and it was lovely and cosy snuggled up whilst there was a blizzard outside.
Nothing OTT on decorations. Probable an LED tree.
Hi We will be just down the road at Foxhills CL site I hope the weather doesn’t go downhill too much

Squeak

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We literally brought our 1st van 2wks ago & are planning on leaving Christmas morning to start our adventures in her for 2wks. Hoping to get up to Yorkshire from Hampshire, sooo excited.
Partner doesn't do Xmas but I've managed to wiggle some Xmas lights into the van ????

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
We literally brought our 1st van 2wks ago & are planning on leaving Christmas morning to start our adventures in her for 2wks. Hoping to get up to Yorkshire from Hampshire, sooo excited.
Partner doesn't do Xmas but I've managed to wiggle some Xmas lights into the van ????
Go for it, I’m not bothering with the house this year but will do the van! Enjoy it is a fab hobby, where in yorkshire are you planning. We’re on Rowntree for Xmas. You close?

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
Should have been on the train last night and then a meander to Camping Imperium for Christmas with lights decorations decorations and home (motorhome) cooked lunch. Then New Year in Beni. Sadly fate intervened with a recurrence of heart problems. Going t,o get away somewhere even if only a couple of nights, got appointment 23rd and 27th so will keep busy. Hope every body reading this has a really good time whatever and wherever.
Yeah these dicky tickers are a real pain in the ass hope you get it sorted

Squeak

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Go for it, I’m not bothering with the house this year but will do the van! Enjoy it is a fab hobby, where in yorkshire are you planning. We’re on Rowntree for Xmas. You close?
We ain't got a clue where we r gonna end up just wanna go have some adventures.

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
May I ask where you are staying? (Aire or campsite?) also which Hotel are you dining out, we normally use the Glocke un Weingut when we go there through the year (usually twice) but they close over the Xmas period, and is something we might be interested in doing next year? Thanks
Westy66, apologies, I completely missed your above question from the 7th :xdoh: We are aiming to stay on aires/stellplatz in the main. There's a couple of places at Rothenburg od de Taub, and then failing that, there's also a campsite to the north-west about 1Km out of town which is open throughout the festive period.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Westy66, apologies, I completely missed your above question from the 7th :xdoh: We are aiming to stay on aires/stellplatz in the main. There's a couple of places at Rothenburg od de Taub, and then failing that, there's also a campsite to the north-west about 1Km out of town which is open throughout the festive period.

Thanks, I’ve stayed at both the Stellplatz and the camping site this year on two trips (we are regulars to RodT) and for the sake of €9 a night I’d rather stay on the campsite. The stellplatz is fine, but on camp there’s showers washing machine etc. The Stellplatz is €12 and camp was €21 in sept, plus maybe a euro for tax etc. Which hotel you eating at may I ask, as not all of them are open xmas day?

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
Thanks, I’ve stayed at both the Stellplatz and the camping site this year on two trips (we are regulars to RodT) and for the sake of €9 a night I’d rather stay on the campsite. The stellplatz is fine, but on camp there’s showers washing machine etc. The Stellplatz is €12 and camp was €21 in sept, plus maybe a euro for tax etc. Which hotel you eating at may I ask, as not all of them are open xmas day?
Good to hear re the campsite, I have just fired off an email to see whether they have space for us for a couple of nights. We've got a table booked at Hotel Tilman Riemenschneider for 25th x:-)

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Good to hear re the campsite, I have just fired off an email to see whether they have space for us for a couple of nights. We've got a table booked at Hotel Tilman Riemenschneider for 25th x:-)
Very nice, t’was a certain Mr Riemenschneider that did. the magnificent carving in the big church, worth a look, as is the Nightwatchman tour, but I think it’s only on a Saturday evenings during the winter months, 8.00pm if I recall?

Oct 25, 2019
Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick XL
Exp
Motorhomer since 2019. Previously 10+ years caravanner.
Hi We will be just down the road at Foxhills CL site I hope the weather doesn’t go downhill too much
Hi Otter. We leave on Monday to go to OBK and the weathers not looking too bad for the coming week...
Screenshot 2019-12-21 at 19.22.22.png

Merry Christmas! F

Aug 27, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Nuevo called Mabel
Exp
newbie learning fast and sometimes the hard way
Ours will be used as "extra accommodation" for visiting family - complete with dec inside for them!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back