Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Hi

Thinking of going away for Christmas in the MH (haven't had it long) anyone know of a good campsite in the South/South West that has a restaurant serving Christmas lunch

Or any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Gary

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
Come over to the sun have your Christmas dinner on the beach a lot do:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Come over to the sun have your Christmas dinner on the beach a lot do:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hmmm now you've got me thinking - any suggestions as to where?:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Bagwell Farm, Weymouth is open all year. :thumb:

It has new hard standings for R.V`s & Motorhomes, right by the toilet block.

Gets busy xmas time and I am not sure if they open the restaurant for xmas, but it is closed normally out of high season.
But a frequent bus runs from the site into Weymouth Town centre. (Approx 3 miles away).

The site is set in a valley with beautiful views across chesil beach and the fleet lagoon.

Being where it is it is fairly sheltered from most prevailing winds, which you get a lot of on this coast in the winter. (And any time come to think of it ::bigsmile:)

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Well Kenspain has really got me thinking and so I have just emailed Marjal - fingers crossed (my 78 year old mother is already packing:ROFLMAO:)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Well Kenspain has really got me thinking and so I have just emailed Marjal - fingers crossed (my 78 year old mother is already packing:ROFLMAO:)

Go for it. You know it makes sense.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
well , it all depends on how important christmas dinner is to you :Smile:

somehow , in the sun , a traditional english christmas dinner doesn't appeal to me , lighter fare seems much more appropriate !

now you just have to pick a route ....how long have you got?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
well , it all depends on how important christmas dinner is to you :Smile:

somehow , in the sun , a traditional english christmas dinner doesn't appeal to me , lighter fare seems much more appropriate !

now you just have to pick a route ....how long have you got?

I know what you mean, although I was born in South Africa to English parents so I got used to my mother insisting on the full traditional lunch but eating it by the pool sitting in shorts (that's us sitting in shorts not the pool):ROFLMAO:

Plan is 2/3 days to get there 4/5 nights there then 2/3 days on the way back, Mappy.com puts the route at Calais (we only use the tunnel after the dogs got so stressed out in the car on a delayed ferry crossing) Lille - Paris - Narbonne then along the coast, don't know if that is the best way - Superior knowledge would be greatly appreciated:Smile:

Gary

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
well , for that sort of timing you will need motorway nearly all the way unless you want to arrive stressed out

but the best route from the tunnel is abbeville , rouen , chartres ,orleans , clermont ferrand , A75 to the med via millau then down the coast as you say ; wouldn't consider the route you mention even in summer...funnily enough I have just done it on the way back from england as I detoured to visit in belgium and then had to go to Lyon !!!

the A75 is free except for the millau viaduct and has the advantage that , despite being fairly high , it has never been shut in adverse conditions whereas routes like the rhone valley DO get shut from time to time

don't worry if you don't get a booking ...apart from benidorm there is always somewhere available with friendly faces about , especially if you speak afrikaans , the dutch are everywhere:Smile:

clearly you will just need somewhere safe for your overnight stops , give us an idea of your schedule [ like morning train or late evening or ...well you get the idea ] and will suggest some suitable places ]

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
well , for that sort of timing you will need motorway nearly all the way unless you want to arrive stressed out

but the best route from the tunnel is abbeville , rouen , chartres ,orleans , clermont ferrand , A75 to the med via millau then down the coast as you say ; wouldn't consider the route you mention even in summer...funnily enough I have just done it on the way back from england as I detoured to visit in belgium and then had to go to Lyon !!!

the A75 is free except for the millau viaduct and has the advantage that , despite being fairly high , it has never been shut in adverse conditions whereas routes like the rhone valley DO get shut from time to time

don't worry if you don't get a booking ...apart from benidorm there is always somewhere available with friendly faces about , especially if you speak afrikaans , the dutch are everywhere:Smile:

clearly you will just need somewhere safe for your overnight stops , give us an idea of your schedule [ like morning train or late evening or ...well you get the idea ] and will suggest some suitable places ]

Hi Thanks for that:thumb:

I hadn't thought about the Peripherique best to avoid:Doh:

Have just called Marjal and booked in from 24th Dec to 2 Jan, it is my mothers 79th on 1st Jan so thought it would be a good idea.

I am looking at the Eurotunnel and will go over on the evening of Monday 21st Dec stay at the Calais Aire then stock up following morning at Auchan and hit the road.

Do you think that 2 days is sufficient?

So looking forward to it because the Dordogne holiday we had booked didn't happen

Thanks
Gary

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
with one driver I certainly would regard that as a big stretch , if you have 2 it would be ok , 2 hour stretches eat up the kilometers

failing that couldn't you get away over the weekend ? even crossing on sunday night would make a difference , give you a little slack in case of unforeseen events

and frankly shopping before leaving calais sounds a bad idea , you would lose a big chunk of the morning , bound to be something open late night ...... my objective would be to make pezenas for the night with your schedule [ just north of beziers ] , excellent spot for the night and back down at sea level , must be 800 Km though ; after that sea level all the way , give or take

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Have just called Marjal and booked in from 24th Dec to 2 Jan, it is my mothers 79th on 1st Jan so thought it would be a good idea.
Thanks
Gary

If any of the merry band of funsters is still standing on the 1st we'll raise a glass.

I'm surprised you chose somewhere as obvious as a sunny beach in Spain when a nice wet field in Cheshire was on offer.

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
If any of the merry band of funsters is still standing on the 1st we'll raise a glass.

I'm surprised you chose somewhere as obvious as a sunny beach in Spain when a nice wet field in Cheshire was on offer.

Thanks

Indeed the toss up between the beach and the wet field was difficult:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
with one driver I certainly would regard that as a big stretch , if you have 2 it would be ok , 2 hour stretches eat up the kilometers

failing that couldn't you get away over the weekend ? even crossing on sunday night would make a difference , give you a little slack in case of unforeseen events

and frankly shopping before leaving calais sounds a bad idea , you would lose a big chunk of the morning , bound to be something open late night ...... my objective would be to make pezenas for the night with your schedule [ just north of beziers ] , excellent spot for the night and back down at sea level , must be 800 Km though ; after that sea level all the way , give or take

Just one driver:Sad:, unfortunately I am tied up Monday morning otherwise would definitely get away Sunday, I should be able to get away Monday just after lunch so will probably go as early pm as possible and then do the shop that afternoon, then at least try to get 100-150km under our belt that evening it should help a bit.

Cheers
Gary

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
would make a big difference if you just got as far as abbeville , if you wanted to shop there you will find a hypermarket [ geant if I remember correctly with cheap diesel ] and a lidl if you go into the centre
I have spent the night there a couple of times but I can't remember where , could have been the lidl car park ; thing about france is ,of course ,any quiet corner where people are living will do for the night so long as you are discreet ; wouldn't suggest on the autoroute , that is for sure

pezenas would be the ideal next stop ;I have never met a french motorhomer who hasn't stopped there at least once ! just drive into the town centre and you will find an elevated promenade on your left ; first comes the bus station , then the car park under the trees , at the far end up the ramp is where the motorhomes park by the boule club

if you can't get that far for whatever reason , exit 38 on the A75 leads you into marvejols [ twinned with cockermouth of recent fame ] as you come to the town centre you arrive at a roundabout with the old town walls in front of you where you turn left , straight on at the next mini roundabout and you are beside the small river ....anywhere along there is just fine

or further south if you turn off just as you come to the peage gate for the millau viaduct you go down into millau and there is an aire just near the gendarmerie in the town centre ; when you get to the top of the town there is a roundabout beside a big shopping area , into that but drive straight through , roundabout at bottom of hill , turn right , left at next roundabout , then right at following roundabout , second exit , aire is on a small road to the left before the gendarmerie

bonne route

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
would make a big difference if you just got as far as abbeville , if you wanted to shop there you will find a hypermarket [ geant if I remember correctly with cheap diesel ] and a lidl if you go into the centre
I have spent the night there a couple of times but I can't remember where , could have been the lidl car park ; thing about france is ,of course ,any quiet corner where people are living will do for the night so long as you are discreet ; wouldn't suggest on the autoroute , that is for sure

pezenas would be the ideal next stop ;I have never met a french motorhomer who hasn't stopped there at least once ! just drive into the town centre and you will find an elevated promenade on your left ; first comes the bus station , then the car park under the trees , at the far end up the ramp is where the motorhomes park by the boule club

if you can't get that far for whatever reason , exit 38 on the A75 leads you into marvejols [ twinned with cockermouth of recent fame ] as you come to the town centre you arrive at a roundabout with the old town walls in front of you where you turn left , straight on at the next mini roundabout and you are beside the small river ....anywhere along there is just fine

or further south if you turn off just as you come to the peage gate for the millau viaduct you go down into millau and there is an aire just near the gendarmerie in the town centre ; when you get to the top of the town there is a roundabout beside a big shopping area , into that but drive straight through , roundabout at bottom of hill , turn right , left at next roundabout , then right at following roundabout , second exit , aire is on a small road to the left before the gendarmerie

bonne route

Thanks so much for this info:thumb:

I must have just been lucky before when staying on the Autoroute, won't do it again:Eeek:

Will print this off and take with me

Merci - Bon Noel:thumb:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi Gary!

Just a little warning: keep in mind you might find snow in Millau area, which could slow you down a bit (not doubting you're a great driver on snow ..... but french are not that good!)

Pezenas is great!:thumb: i used to stop there with my parents when i was a child and still does just for little pause when going to the sea side!

Bon voyage! et... Joyeux Noël !

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
Anybody still looking for a site in South West. Herston Caravan Park at Swanage still has a few spaces and Xmas dinner in their own Bar / Restaurant is £27 a head.

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Hi Gary!

Just a little warning: keep in mind you might find snow in Millau area, which could slow you down a bit (not doubting you're a great driver on snow ..... but french are not that good!)

Pezenas is great!:thumb: i used to stop there with my parents when i was a child and still does just for little pause when going to the sea side!

Bon voyage! et... Joyeux Noël !

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Hi Frankie,

Thanks for that, hadn't thought about the snow:Doh:

Will certainly make for Peznas

Gary

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
btw gary ,

presume you know

the regs for vehicle documentation

regs for getting your dog back into the uk

that you must have propane

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
btw gary ,

presume you know

the regs for vehicle documentation

regs for getting your dog back into the uk

that you must have propane

I know about the Vehicle docs and dogs (both have poassports) thanks:thumb: did not know about propane, i have gaslow refillables bottles - What do i need to do?:whatthe:

Thanks
Gary

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
if you have gaslow , lpg is predominantly propane , so no problem

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009

Well after numerous phone calls I have managed to change my Monday morning commitments so we will now be going on Saturday 19th Dec and take a leisurely drive down, plenty of time to get shopping on Saturday afternoon.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions from everyone it has certainly made the arranging much better and as I am relatively new to motorhoming certainly gives me more confidence in doing the trip:thumb::thumb:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
now it starts to sound like a christmas break rather than a route march !
I must say I was amazed to hear you had an appointment on monday , in my experience christmas week is a no no for most people ...I remember staying on in sweden for a 6am appointment on saturday morning so that my customer and I could avoid this ....he arrived with a flask of coffee and fresh pastries that he had collected from the bakery en route ! then the 9.30am flight back to uk!

may I suggest that you start with the same hard day down to the med on sunday ? then you can have a later start and wander down the coast for the next couple of days , much more pleasurable in what is normally the much better spanish weather , seems to start as soon as you pass the frontier! I expect to be enjoying it about 3 weeks ahead of you !

couple of links to keep you up to date on the weather

Prévisions météo de Météo-France - Accueil

Link Removed

bonne route

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
now it starts to sound like a christmas break rather than a route march !
I must say I was amazed to hear you had an appointment on monday , in my experience christmas week is a no no for most people ...I remember staying on in sweden for a 6am appointment on saturday morning so that my customer and I could avoid this ....he arrived with a flask of coffee and fresh pastries that he had collected from the bakery en route ! then the 9.30am flight back to uk!

may I suggest that you start with the same hard day down to the med on sunday ? then you can have a later start and wander down the coast for the next couple of days , much more pleasurable in what is normally the much better spanish weather , seems to start as soon as you pass the frontier! I expect to be enjoying it about 3 weeks ahead of you !

couple of links to keep you up to date on the weather

Prévisions météo de Météo-France - Accueil

Link Removed

bonne route

Very true, the reschedule was well appreciated by all I think:roflmto:

Good point about the Sunday, thank you, we have been deliberating and will try to get a couple of hours done on Saturday afternoon which should make the Sunday a better run south, no point in hanging around Calais if we can get underway

Thanks for the weather links, i see that the temp is holding around the 20c mark, fingers crossed it will last. I remember a guy I worked with a few years back who had a flat on the Costa del Sol coming back after Christmas with a bit of a tan - here's hoping

Thanks for all your advice:thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back