LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
2nd point!! an alternator charger will not damage the batteries,they are regulated as the batteries need less charge the alternator will adjust itself and drop down to a trickle charge,you could leave it running 24/7 with no damage to the batteries.:thumb:
a battery on a car can happily last 6 years with a alternator as its sole chargeing method,

A starter battery is usually never discharged anything to like depth a leisure battery is so it "cooks" for a relatively short time.

The implication with these wonder alternator chargers is deep discharge and top up very quickly.

Good practice for lead acid is a 10 hour charge time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Go to the switch...

Operate switch...

Does what you wanted to happen, happen?

If "Yes" continue...

If "No" go for a drive or plug in EHU or fire up Kipor/Green Super Charger/or buy solar panels/ or a new cheap battery... until it does happen...:ROFLMAO:

...and relax...:Cool:

JJ

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
can someone on here prove to me why you cannot fast charge a 12v battery off an alternator,and by that i dont mean you think you cant,i mean cold hard fact's.
one point i will make when useing my 12v charger the batteries never get warm=fact:Smile:

Every working day, for the past ten years or so, the battery bank on my work van has been charged exclusively by the engine's alternator.

Three or four batteries, sometimes lightly used one day, heavily discharged the next, and there has never been any problem.

I can't see any difference between what the engine alternator is doing and what Chris' apparatus is doing.

The current battery bank is about five years old (3x113Ah) and is still powering lights, Eberspacher, laptop and other appliances for up to six hours a day without fault.

If I concentrated on all the opinions and research papers, I'd spend all day fannying about with the batteries and wouldn't get any work done. :Smile:

Theory is interesting but sometimes experience is more useful.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
the 460 odd pounds you saved over the price of the one advertised would probably pay for a couple of batteries Chris, I do not see the difference between the van alternator charging the batteries and this other than my van has a 130 ish amp alternator.You could probably buy quite a bit of petrol for how much a solar set up costs,and they are not much use in the Winter.Just my opinion but it does not mean I am wrong:RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back