Choosing a van and what to compromise on (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We are on our third motorhome and have made a number of compromises each time we have bought a van. Its impossible not to have a compromise or three, but there are always benefits.

Our first van suited us when the kids were younger as it had 2 rear bunks. The main compromising was having the rear bunks reduced garage space, it had a full dinette as we needed the extra seat belts and it had a smaller fridge than was ideal for us but all the compromising meant we had the benefits that we could travel with 6 people and the kids has their own area each in their bunks.

Our next van a Tag axle Frankia had masses more space, a completely separate shower a giant garage. It had the L shaped lounge we wanted, an oven , grill, fridge freezer, outside shower etc. The compromises we made were that it had separate twin rear beds, was thirsty on fuel was slower on hills, was bigger to drive around in and park up but we did love it.

For our current van we decided to go for a PVC, and after our mahoosive Frankia we listed all our compromises and the benefits, we even found some benefits we didnt realize existed before we used the van. We compromised on living space and went for a 1/2 dinette, the bathroom works but is a real compromise against the frankia. The kitchen has no oven or grill and only has 2 gas burners but we are fine with that. The benefits are that it is so easy to drive, its faster, its easy to get up narrow lanes that a coachbuilt wont get up. We love the massive rear electric bed, the rear opening doors are great in the summer as is the side sliding door. We save time and money on fuel stops as its a lot more economical and has a bigger fuel tank than our last van and being smaller it heats up faster and uses less gas.

There are lots or compromises and benefits when you compare vans, and you may only realize some of them after buying.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I think most of the compromises we made were with our first MH. For starters 6 berth with rear bunks and overcab bed, no swivelling front seats. We were still taking offspring on holiday when we bought it, and wanted the dinette free at all times. The dinette only seated 4 and it was a squeeze. Rear bike rack too.

Our current MH is far better suited to our needs. Low profile, 4 berth with rear double bed that can raise or lower to adjust the boot space, front skylight, and swivelling front seats. You can get 6 comfortably round the table. Bikes fit in the boot - just.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I think most of the compromises we made were with our first MH. For starters 6 berth with rear bunks and overcab bed, no swivelling front seats. We were still taking offspring on holiday when we bought it, and wanted the dinette free at all times. The dinette only seated 4 and it was a squeeze. Rear bike rack too.

Our current MH is far better suited to our needs. Low profile, 4 berth with rear double bed that can raise or lower to adjust the boot space, front skylight, and swivelling front seats. You can get 6 comfortably round the table. Bikes fit in the boot - just.

We had the same first layout for the same reasons a Chausson Flash 03

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
It's funny, I thought the same. However, after a year in my coachbuilt with a small fridge - I realized that most of the stuff I put in the fridge at the beginning of a trip, I took out again at the end of the trip - apart from beer/wine obviously.
So although I was convinced I wanted a big fridge when I upgraded, actually I didn't so compromise there was fine - as was having just a 2 burner hob.
It's all about how you personally actually will use the van.

I love cooking in the MH so this is not something I can relate to.....eggs are the one thing I keep in the fridge in case of emergency...one can always rustle up an omlette....other than that I cook most days and use fresh local produce which we shop for once a week, or so, so the fridge is always pretty full....so sacrificing the fridge would be my last option:D...though I suppose in a PVC one can more readily go out shopping more frequently:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
The compromises shouldn't be such an issue as long as the essentials are there and the list is not too long.
We had two essentials a bed that was big enough and enough head room for someone at about 6'4"
The above requirements ruled out a lot of vans.
Both vans we have had net our needs with very different layouts.
1st Sea Sloop 5 and now Globecar Revolution

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Only on our third van, all have been right at the time. The 3 must haves for us are fixed bed, large fridge/freezer & fixed table.
First one was a Hymer Tramp SL specical edition with loads of goodies as standard even had a sub woofer under the bed, Oyster sat dish etc., It was a French bed layout we kept that one nearly 6 years only changed because I wanted a an A Class and a garage. Next one was a Hymer Exsis 678, it was a cheap way into an A Class, it was OK but not up to the standard of the Tramp it did seem a bit basic and we struggled with payload. Only changed after less that 3 years due to getting such a good deal and didn't cost much to change, so far very pleased with the B678 Dynamic line love the big shower but not so keen on going back to a swivel bowl loo otherwise fine, payload is fine still have 600kg spare after fully loaded with full tanks.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back