Chips away (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2014
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Ih tio
Exp
Dose anyone know if chips away remove deep scratches or do they only do small ones and scufs our vans been keyed down both sides.we did take it to a garage near home he said £650 to £700.last year .now we are selling it needs sorting cant sell it like this.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
They did the whole front bumper on our Mercedes R Class recently. A good job, done on time & guaranteed for 3 years if memory serves me right?

Edit: The guarantee lasts for as long as you own the vehicle.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
They did the whole front bumper on our Mercedes R Class recently. A good job, done on time & guaranteed for 3 years if memory serves me right?

Edit: The guarantee lasts for as long as you own the vehicle.
The guarantee doesn't last long in @Hazelnut case then?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Phone up chipsaway ,it will be down to the skill level of the individual ,if its a deep scratch and very long then its probably a full on spray job down both sides ,you will have to take it to a car care center. I ran my own chipsaway franchise for 9 years

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Dose anyone know if chips away remove deep scratches or do they only do small ones and scufs our vans been keyed down both sides.we did take it to a garage near home he said £650 to £700.last year .now we are selling it needs sorting cant sell it like this.
Why not get a quote from Chips Away for the job, knock that off the sale price then the new owners can get the benefit of the guarantee?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Why not get a quote from Chips Away for the job, knock that off the sale price then the new owners can get the benefit of the guarantee?

Good idea but knowing what people are like probably wouldn't work as some look at getting it sorted as hassle.

As @laird of Dustan said it depends on the operative I've seen good and bad from chips away.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Good idea but knowing what people are like probably wouldn't work as some look at getting it sorted as hassle.

As @laird of Dustan said it depends on the operative I've seen good and bad from chips away.
No one knows whether it'll work or not but, it's a selling point!

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years

I won't get into the variable quality you may expect from the above, but I can assure you that you will obtain a better price for the repair from a good local bodyshop where the proprietor can buy his materials at competitive market rates and "head office" aren't creaming off a sizeable % of his turnover.

Ps. If you have a commercial bodyshop locally ( one that paints vans and trucks) it will be better as they have larger spray booths that can accommodate a Moho.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I won't get into the variable quality you may expect from the above, but I can assure you that you will obtain a better price for the repair from a good local bodyshop where the proprietor can buy his materials at competitive market rates and "head office" aren't creaming off a sizeable % of his turnover.

Ps. If you have a commercial bodyshop locally ( one that paints vans and trucks) it will be better as they have larger spray booths that can accommodate a Moho.
Mine was a follow on suggestion from the OP. I have no doubt the merits of a local body repair shop but it was a carry on for Chips Away and not a recommendation for them

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
A lot of people were dissapointed when i packed up ,i did do good work ,i admit to getting the odd one wrong but if i was not happy with my work then there was no bill . I did make a lot of money from my franchise ,you have to get good at it ,it takes a couple of years to get good ,i had other chipsaway franchisees bring me their problem jobs to fix .
AS for Chpsaway head office.............................i am too much of a gentleman to repeat on this fine forum what i think of them:cool:

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
I am pleased to here you did well with your franchise, many do not. As you may have gathered I work in the same business as you used to, although not for much longer, retirement is creeping up and I've just been doing it too bloody long. Not far from where I live we had a husband and wife C/a team who traded for ten years and perhaps more, the gossip is that in all that time they never did a decent job, all the local body shops were aware of them and regularly had to correct poor colour matches, poor prep and failing repairs. They probably did well financially as repairs didn't take very long, well they don't if you use rattle cans without clear coat!!! They stopped or were stopped a couple of years ago, head office had to put a team into the area to rework lots of cars that customers had complained about.
Naturally I understand that there have been and still are some very capable operators, but as eggs are eggs most go independent in the end enabling head office to sell that area AGAIN. Great business model don't you think?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I got a quote from the local chips away guy for a bumper graze and a 12 inch long scratch on a door. He quoted £900 and a local bodyshop quoted £500

OP
OP
Hazelnut
Jul 2, 2014
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Ih tio
Exp
Thanks for your advice and coments think now have lost confidence in chips away also if the Thebig1 s quote for a 12in scratch was £900 then how much for a van scratched down both sides from back to front th vans now 11 years old people who buy a van that age might not be to botherd its perfect inside with lots of toys on going to try about £22 500 see how it goes

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Don't want to hi-jack the thread and it is related does anyone know where it would be best to get a plastic weld/retexture done on a cracked plastic bed base in our m/h. I have stabilised it by aralditing a piece of hardwood on the back but would like to make it look a bit better if possible and not too costly!!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have used chips away three times. On a M5 and a Note (in Woodford, London) then 2 weeks ago a Citigo in Darlington. Never been dissapointed. The Citigo suffered a careless scratch on rear quarter panel. Took it to Chips Away in Darlington. £185 plus vat also borrowed a loan car. Great job and a good price in our opinion and would certainly reccomend them. Did hear about their management issues but as long as we get a good job done at a reasonable price we will continue to use them and reccomend them

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back