Chipped windscreen >>> cracked windscreen (1 Viewer)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Ho hum. At some point my windscreen got a very tiny chip very near its to edge, at a point not visible from the driver's seat. I don't recall anything hitting the screen and didn't know the chip was there.

Now a crack has suddenly developed on the passenger side, currently 2ft long and highly likely to spread.

Time to go rummage through the insurance policy.

I think I'll be checking the screen more closely and more often in future.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Autoglass made a right mess of replacing my screen at a cost to the insurance of nearly a grand. I would not trust the monkeys to fit a quarter light.
A mate at our storage showed me a receipt for a new screen by an independant and it was just under ÂŁ150 all inclusive and a proper job. I know who I'll be using in future, sod the insurance

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

automedon

Free Member
Mar 22, 2013
Huddersfield West Yorks.
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Sprinter convers
Exp
3 yrs
try the AA, they replaced our windscreen after a nasty crack appeared in York, excellent service and the guy spoke to the insurance co. and sorted all the relevant paperwork out, all I did was show him the Certificate of Insurance. Invited him to stay for lunch while he showed us photos of his family etc. a great service

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Auto glass did a good job for me, remember it's the fitter not the company.
The chip had a very small crack about 5 mm from the centre so he drilled it to stop it getting any bigger then filled it with resin. Two years and 100.000 mls later it is as good as new. :D

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The company that is in league with the insurance companies and charges a grand for a Ducato screen

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Well Autoglass are tied to Safeguard Insurance so it's Autoglass for now, with a ÂŁ100 glass excess to pay. The fitter's due tomorrow.

Badknee's comment about them drilling a hole to stop the crack is one worth remembering - it works for pretty much any material that's prone to cracking or tearing. I used it to stop the plastic rear screen on a soft top from splitting any further.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes I'm with safeguard but next time for ÂŁ50 more than my excess I'll have it done by an expert.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
as it has been said it depends on the fitter. when the pill----k that came to change my windscreen. he dropped it, but was still going to put it in. 2nd man turned up took nearly 2 hours to fit it. had to give up and sent for help. man from local glass company turned up took it out and then put it back in again in 15 mins. and was gone. great fitter.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Autoglass are linked to the NFU. When they did mine, it was a super job. The lads that did it visited three times. First to have a look at the job they had been given. The second was to see if they could get off some of the colour co-ordinated bodywork around the screen, which they were told they would break getting off. It didn't. And lastly to fit the actual screen, which took them four hours ishh. Further they arranged for me to go to a bus depot to get under cover, for the actual glass replacement, in case it rained. All in all, excellent. So it is down to the fitters.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Autoglass made a right mess of replacing my screen at a cost to the insurance of nearly a grand. I would not trust the monkeys to fit a quarter light.
A mate at our storage showed me a receipt for a new screen by an independant and it was just under ÂŁ150 all inclusive and a proper job. I know who I'll be using in future, sod the insurance
My last MH screen was cracked by a flying stone (Tabbert FFB A class). Cost ÂŁ2300 to replace. I was happy to be covered by the insurance. It was replaced by Autoglass who did a decent job. I suspect whether they're any good or not depends on how competent your local branch is. Mine OK - yours not.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Had similar back in 1981 nearly new VW camper , on the day before trip to France our 1st time, stone flicked up bang small chip , then get up on day of travel to find it cracked in several directions. Went straight to local windscreen fixing company (which I knew personally), would you believe it no-one on the Isle of Wight or surrounding area acroos the Solent kept a replacement. Bugger!!! Luckly the company offered me a secondhand one with a lot of scratches to fit temporarily and they would replace on my return. Gratefully accepted.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
We had a stone chip on our previous motorhome cameout of the back tyre of the lorry in front of us in France. The thing is according to our insurance cover at the time, if you don't report it and it then subsequently cracks they won't cover the screen. (I don't know how they would tell).

Had a guy from Autoglass turn up to look to see if they could repair it or if it needed replacing, it depends where the chip is as to wether it is repairable or not "MOT Regs" it was OK so did one of those "invisible" epoxy type repairs, The chips don't disappear in real life like they do on the TV LOL. But it never travelled any further so I guess the Ins, saved a few bob, and I was given a free set of windscreen wipers too!

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
We got a chip on the way over to Spain what do you do when abroad is there a Spanish equivalent to Autoglass??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back