LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Stone chipped the screen yesterday, about Leval with the wiper blade line, guys cutting the grass in the central refs aviation with the strimmers.got the MOT next week, will it pass if screen is fixed, or will it be new screen.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There are people who repair chip marks. Worth doing as it will discourage the chip becoming a crack, irrespective of whether the chip will impact on the MOT where the issue I think is whether the mark is in your line of sight. If I understand you and it is where the wipers park you should be OK but worth getting it repaired.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Hi Mikey - if it is professionally fixed it should be undetectable. The windscreen guy will soon advise if its repairable - if you have windscreen cover a repair is often free

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If repaired properly should be ok..

from the MOT testing manual

1. Repaired windscreens must be inspected to the same test criteria as unrepaired windscreens. Repairs must be judged solely on the basis of whether they interfere with vision. An ‘invisible’ or barely detectable repair, finished flush with the surrounding glass, does not count as damage even if it exceeds the limit on damage allowed in the test. If these criteria are met, the position and size of repairs is not relevant for the purposes of the test.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Stone chipped the screen yesterday, about Leval with the wiper blade line, guys cutting the grass in the central refs aviation with the strimmers.got the MOT next week, will it pass if screen is fixed, or will it be new screen.

Record the time and location of the incident, then claim the full repair/replacement costs from the highways authority concerned, and let them pay through THEIR insurance, and not yours! They have more money then you!.

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
If you are at windscreen wiper level then you are near the edge of the glass. I think the limit is three inches. I'd be surprised if they were prepared to fix it. My guess is a new windscreen, usually, with £75 deductable.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Record the time and location of the incident, then claim the full repair/replacement costs from the highways authority concerned, and let them pay through THEIR insurance, and not yours! They have more money then you!.
Yeah if you have the patience of a saint -they will stone wall you for months -deny all liability etc etc -not worth the head/heart ache -;) OR ask Shiffy to complain/act for you (y) He will rejoice in the challenge :D
terry

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Yeah if you have the patience of a saint -they will stone wall you for months -deny all liability etc etc -not worth the head/heart ache -;) OR ask Shiffy to complain/act for you (y) He will rejoice in the challenge :D
terry

Yes, but let them sort that out! Your screen is already repaired, it dosent matter how long they mince about with the claim, the payout will make a nice Christmas pressy.
The more they get away with it, the less care they will take in the future. Claim and sit back.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Same happened to us going round a roundabout in Spain. Had it repaired at no cost to us by autoglass as long as you have fully comp insurance I think.
Very professional job, couldn't see any sign of it a right little bullseye he said.

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Cheers guys for the replys will ring insurance today and let you know the outcome.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
If it's too close to the edge Mikey, they will not repair and so it will be a new screen. Mine was £5500, fitted. :rofl:

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
If it's too close to the edge Mikey, they will not repair and so it will be a new screen. Mine was £5500, fitted. :rofl:

was that price a typo, am suspecting not and if not then good grief!! that's the price of a small brand new car..

how on earth can a sheet of glass cost so much?

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Because it's American, huge and had to be shipped, passed through how many hands to get here and Autoglass visiting three times. First to look, second to assess fitment and removal of various trim and finally to fit, which took five hours. All good though, no actual grief and when finished, spot on. Wrote a letter complimenting all those involved. Insurance with NFU.

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Ok update time.
Rang our insurance who use Autoglass so had to ring them, because the chip is within the edge of the steering wheel going up the screen if that makes sense and more than 1 centimetre, then it's a new screen. Camper is being serviced and MOT next week so getting the screen done day before. Still going to cost me £75 access on my insurance.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We have just had our screen replaced through Comfort Ins.

Pretty painless experience (except the £75-00)

We got hit by a stone, we heard it but never saw any damage. A few miles on a crack appeared from the very top edge of the screen and behind the interior blinds.

It grew to around 8" long very quickly.

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Ok update
After ringing insurance and then contacting Autoglass, we arranged to be at chelstons so yesterday by. 12 midday, our slot was 12-5 pm. We got there at 12 they arrived at 3 pm looking worried. Yes you got it wrong screen, they bought a screen for a fiat ducato which Our Burstner is based on, but we did tell them it was a Burstner elegance and they had it on there screen. So a lot of ringing round and now getting done next week, by the coach and lorry department of Autoglass at home. Had to cancel the mot and get it done after new screen fitted.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Ok update
After ringing insurance and then contacting Autoglass, we arranged to be at chelstons so yesterday by. 12 midday, our slot was 12-5 pm. We got there at 12 they arrived at 3 pm looking worried. Yes you got it wrong screen, they bought a screen for a fiat ducato which Our Burstner is based on, but we did tell them it was a Burstner elegance and they had it on there screen. So a lot of ringing round and now getting done next week, by the coach and lorry department of Autoglass at home. Had to cancel the mot and get it done after new screen fitted.
Hope that's not impacting on your MOT date and you're off the road??

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Update
Got the screen fitted Wednesday, the wife stayed of work. Two guys arrived, there for two hours. Job done, ready for mot today, it passed. Nikki asked just out of curiosity how much for the screen. £1200, last year the same screen was £2000. Glad I was insured for the glass, £75 access.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back