LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The whole car shortage hype seems strange to me.
We have been looking round on-line for a few weeks at changing Jill's car and the same vehicles have contiued to be in stock.
We went out to one garage the other day and couldn't get parked because the customer parking area was full of unregistered new cars and the lot was overflowing with used cars. Other places we drove past were similarly rammed.
Is the rise in price of used cars really due to demand or simply an excuse for companies to recoup profits lost during lockdown?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The whole car shortage hype seems strange to me.
We have been looking round on-line for a few weeks at changing Jill's car and the same vehicles have contiued to be in stock.
We went out to one garage the other day and couldn't get parked because the customer parking area was full of unregistered new cars and the lot was overflowing with used cars. Other places we drove past were similarly rammed.
Is the rise in price of used cars really due to demand or simply an excuse for companies to recoup profits lost during lockdown?
The whole shortage hype, is everyone jumping on the band wagon trying to talk up prices and the daft thing is people are taking it in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
The whole shortage hype, is everyone jumping on the band wagon trying to talk up prices and the daft thing is people are taking it in.
Definitely not Hype .
Try and order a new commercial van and see how you get on !
I’ve been waiting 9 months now .
Next year’s order books are now closed with MAN / VW .

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
The company used to work for designed and manufactured electronic items used on race cars, and have had to redesigned items as the processor chips originally used are no longer avaliable.

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Suits me, I'm selling my Skoda Superb for ÂŁ2000 more than I paid for it February 2020.
The Skoda dealership I work at are struggling not only to get new cars in for customers that have or want to order one.
This has had a knock on effect with the used cars for sale so much so that we are advertising that "We want to buy your used Skoda"
We are also selling some of the none Skodas that have come in as trade ins rather send to auction or other traders.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
The Skoda dealership I work at are struggling not only to get new cars in for customers that have or want to order one.
This has had a knock on effect with the used cars for sale so much so that we are advertising that "We want to buy your used Skoda"
We are also selling some of the none Skodas that have come in as trade ins rather send to auction or other traders.
I just got ÂŁ4K more than I paid for my Ford Tourneo Custom after 18 months use .
Best price was from we buy any car .

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
There seems to be quite a bit of evidence that the major manufacturers cancelled chip orders when lockdown started (unlike Tesla who thought ahead). Then general demand for chips went through the roof for … everything and anything (other than vehicles). The major car manufacturers seem to have had to join the back of the queue (Except for Tesla of course)

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Definitely not Hype .
I ordered a new MAN TGE (same as a VW Crafter with different badges) in late August and have a 'suggested' delivery date of May 2022.
Agree - our two local VW car dealers have forecourts with many makes for sale now.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
That the one in Sandhills? How much will you give me for a 67 plate Dragon Green Superb Sportline 220 bhp DSG with a few extra toys on, one other owner, previous approved used. No finance, full history etc. If you can beat ÂŁ18,650 I'll drive it down myself. Haven't been 'home' for ages.

Deleted User
Waiting for a new Skoda Enyaq, originally delayed due to chip issue now told vehicle will not be delivered until end of November possible early December due to transport problems?
Not a major problem as the old car becomes more valuable every month.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Definitely not Hype .
Yep. Was chatting to an RAC chap who arrived to sort out Mum's non-starting car on Saturday morning (14 hours after being called out). He turned up in a rather nice VW T6. He said it was already 6 weeks out of lease, and he should've had a replacement but was told it would be spring 22 before he got his new one. Oddly, the existing van was branded up as a 4Motion, but after struggling on some poor surfaces with it, he got underneath it and discovered that it isn't a 4Motion at all. So it's a mystery as to when/how it was badged up. And makes me think that anyone buying ex RAC vans to convert (which happens a lot) should be very careful that they know what they've got, rather than what they think they've got.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back